• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Resurrection of the Nordiques?

Rate this topic

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Former...0774/story.html

The mayor of Quebec and the former owner of the Nordiques met with Bettman last Friday. Rumors are cranking in Quebec about a new arena to be built, which seems to be the one thing holding back the city getting a new team.

Should be interesting to watch develop. What do the Wingnuts say- move a team, or make team #31?

I hope so - here in Québec city everyone wants a NHL team... can't be worst than in Phoenix

As F.Michael said... I will pull up numbers that show otherwise.

Attendance since 1989-90

You'll notice that, while the Coyotes have not had stellar attendance figures, Phoenix has actually been a better market than either Winnipeg or Quebec in terms of attendance. Phoenix sold more tickets than either Canadian city, and had higher prices also.

I am not doubting that people in Quebec want NHL hockey; I am stating that Quebec and Winnipeg lost their teams by failing to fill the league's smallest arenas on a nightly basis. Only twice in their final six seasons did Quebec average 14,800+ in tickets sold. Phoenix has done so each of the past five seasons and has only missed that mark twice since moving. In Winnipeg, the team's highest single-season average attendance from 89-90 to 95-96 was 13,550, which is only a couple hundred above Phoenix's worst season.

Sorry guys, but the market math works like this:

Colorado > Carolina > Phoenix > Quebec > Winnipeg > Hartford.