• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Medals for 2010 Olympics Unveiled

Rate this topic

I really like them, though I can certainly see why people would hate them. The rippled shape is actually a pretty clever design IMO. One it evokes the surface of water or a mountain range, reflecting the Sea-To-Sky landscape of the Lower Mainland, two it's a simple way of removing the production-line feel of most medals by making each one an individual, unique object.

Ultimately people are making a much bigger deal about it (as they do with medal designs in general) than they should. Medals are simply a physical indicator of a physical achievement, the medal should be secondary to accomplishing the act itself. Case in point, I couldn't tell you a single thing about what the Salt Lake City medals looked like, but Canada winning the gold in hockey is what's immortalized. I'm pretty sure the athletes couldn't give two s***s about what the medal looks like if they won one, why should any of us?

Edited by Cern

I think they're gold-plated silver, actually.

This is true, in terms of content, I think they are about 90% silver, but I don't think it's like silver on the inside and gold plated. Gold is just the colour, it's likely gold all the way through.

I actually really like them. Represents the region well, has a contemporary twist (literally). Good with me.

Do the hockey gold and silver ones say "Canada" and "Russia" on them already (I'll let you decide which is which)?

Guest lnvincible
Part of me says "cool", other part of me says "thats the best they could do?"

So what are you think its easy making those? It took 33 precise steps to make them..

I hope the U.S. hockey team plants old George Washington in the ice and take home the gold medal. Revenge is a vitch!

Nice thought, hope so. With the full-on youth movement, I actually think Team USA will be more competitive than most expect, and at minimum we'll have the goaltending to at least hang in with everyone. Should be interesting.

I like them a lot.

Then again, I live in the PNW, so I like the aboriginal designs and water-ish design.

Plus, I don't think I'd really care if they gave me a piece of rock; if that symbolized getting Olympic gold, I'd be pretty effing proud of it.

I think they are the cheesiest medals in Olympic history. For some reason, everything has to have a "modern" look to it, and I'm assuming that's what they were going for. To me, they look like they were designed by the Frito Lay Company. As for the raven and orca, I don't like those either. Those are aboriginal designs, with no significance to Canadian history or culture, with the obvious exception to Aboriginals. The same goes for the Inukshuk (sp?) that you see all over the place for the Olympics. Those three symbols hold absolutely no significance to me. I don't mean to be s***ty about it, but Aboriginal does not mean Canadian, nor does Canadian mean Aboriginal. I'm probably going way to into it here, but it's aggravating seeing everything done to satisfy and appease Aboriginals. Why not a picture of the Rockies? Or something to symbolize the "Coast to Coast to Coast" theme the government has been pushing for some time.

Medal Fail!

I think they are the cheesiest medals in Olympic history. For some reason, everything has to have a "modern" look to it, and I'm assuming that's what they were going for. To me, they look like they were designed by the Frito Lay Company. As for the raven and orca, I don't like those either. Those are aboriginal designs, with no significance to Canadian history or culture, with the obvious exception to Aboriginals. The same goes for the Inukshuk (sp?) that you see all over the place for the Olympics. Those three symbols hold absolutely no significance to me. I don't mean to be s***ty about it, but Aboriginal does not mean Canadian, nor does Canadian mean Aboriginal. I'm probably going way to into it here, but it's aggravating seeing everything done to satisfy and appease Aboriginals. Why not a picture of the Rockies? Or something to symbolize the "Coast to Coast to Coast" theme the government has been pushing for some time.

Medal Fail!

From the article:

Also for the first time, the medals are not flat. Instead, they have an undulating surface intended to represent the West Coast landscape of mountains and waves and drifting snow.

Medal Fail!

Uh, they're honoring the history of the region, obviously.

Learn some history, BTW. Aboriginals helped people settling in the region to learn about the environment that they found themselves in.

Not knowing your own country's history. Oy vey. :rolleyes:

I think they look great, myself. The color is what matters, not the design of the medal. You could hand me a stick covered in gold paint, if that was what Olympic champions got, I'd take it with glee.

I think some people are too quick to judge something as unworthy if it isn't "traditional" or something.