• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WpgMikos

What does having only 9,100 fans look like?

Rate this topic

It really is sad because the argument is "if they had a good team" people would come.

And it's not even that good an argument. With the nature of the salary cap, even if they DID manage to produce a team that was good (which is unlikely to begin with that very lack of fan support and the finances it brings means the team is lucky to build a team that clears the cap floor), it's going to fluctuate from year to year. To say that fan following is going to be correlated to team success is essentially to admit that the team's financial books are going to be just as much of a rollercoaster ride - hardly sound material for a healthy franchise.

And it's not even that good an argument. With the nature of the salary cap, even if they DID manage to produce a team that was good (which is unlikely to begin with that very lack of fan support and the finances it brings means the team is lucky to build a team that clears the cap floor), it's going to fluctuate from year to year. To say that fan following is going to be correlated to team success is essentially to admit that the team's financial books are going to be just as much of a rollercoaster ride - hardly sound material for a healthy franchise.

Well it is interesting because back in May I took a look at what effect playoff success and winning the Cup had on crowds and how it translated to fan loyalty.

From what I've read it would seem that in non-traditional markets it takes winning teams. I just think it is too little too late in Phoenix.

whiteout.jpg

Look at that

When was that? Thats from the old America West arena downtown. They haven't played there since 2003.

Should have never moved out of Phoenix and into the suburbs.

Edited by evilmrt

Looks like deja vu in the desert. Another win for the Yotes without many fans to see the game.

Jobing2.jpg

For more pictures, Saturday Night Hockey in the Desert.

What do you guys think? Will the fans interest increase if the Yotes continue to win? Should be an interesting game against the Wings on Thursday.

(as an aside, I left to see a flick with the Wings up 2-0 after 2 and in control. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was a 4-3 Colorado final).

I would like to think attendance will increase. I read that they are also giving out free tickets. Who knows how that will work.

It's really sad to see this for any NHL team though.

I would like to think attendance will increase. I read that they are also giving out free tickets. Who knows how that will work.

It's really sad to see this for any NHL team though.

haha. Good call. Its late and I am distraught over Wings loss. Can't change title. Ah well.

Edited by WpgMikos

Apparently this game against the Bruins wasn't even on tv in Arizona. I would have expected better attendance for a game against an original six (and decent) team.

I only wonder for how much longer this can go on.

When was that? Thats from the old America West arena downtown. They haven't played there since 2003.

Should have never moved out of Phoenix and into the suburbs.

I agree with you on that one...

I was visiting Phoenix a couple years ago and me and my buddy were driving down the freeway...I saw this huge arena off to the side that seemed like it was out in the middle of nowhere...I said "what the hell is that??" It was Glendale Arena lol...literally seemed like it fell out of the sky and landed in the middle of the desert....

That's really a shame- I know Bettman trashing is the favorite sport of many, including myself, good hockey is good hockey. I was really excited with the moves they made at the trade deadline last year, given they were major sellers.

I'm starting to see an interesting dynamic- the southern half of the United States can only support one NHL franchise at a time successfully. 80's Kings rolled into the 90's Stars into the 2000's Tampa, who quickly passed the torch to the omni-second Hurricanes. How a city can go from having an avid base one year to not filling an arena the next is beyond me.

Oh and I thought the answer to your question, "What does 9,162 fans look like?" should have been "A desert.

Upon further reflection, perhaps the question should have been: What do you call a sold out Home Opener in Phoenix?

Answer: A mirage.

Guest CaliWingsNut
That's really a shame- I know Bettman trashing is the favorite sport of many, including myself, good hockey is good hockey. I was really excited with the moves they made at the trade deadline last year, given they were major sellers.

I'm starting to see an interesting dynamic- the southern half of the United States can only support one NHL franchise at a time successfully. 80's Kings rolled into the 90's Stars into the 2000's Tampa, who quickly passed the torch to the omni-second Hurricanes. How a city can go from having an avid base one year to not filling an arena the next is beyond me.

I doubt your spending has changed at all since last November.

I would love to see that scoreboard at JLA!

No question. Back in the Peg' the most noticeable improvement was going from the Old light bulb type scoreboard at the old Winnipeg Arena to the tv screen type at MTS Centre. (and perhaps the elimination of the trough type urinals, which the Joe still has).

Maybe the fans have realized that they are a lame duck franchise and have given up on supporting them?

I tend to agree. I remember my sentiments towards the Jets when I realized they were moving.

This is crazy. Watching the game online. Saw some pictures and it looks empty.

Jobing-Game-2.jpg

For more pictures, Where is everyone?

It's too bad since it was a pretty good game. Thought Jovo put the OT goal in off his glove, but meh. If Jovo scores in OT but nobody is there to see it, does it count as a goal?

Great job Bettman putting a hockey team inside of the F#*^$!* desert wow what a moron :rolleyes:

They had approx. 5000 but announced 6,800. I guess they count unused season tickets.

But still.....that team CANT be working, can it?

According to that POS Bettman it can.

That guy's fascist arrogance needs to be removed from the NHL, and let hockey fans and their cities get hockey teams.

Once again, I would attribute a good share of the trouble filling seats with moving the rink out to the middle of nowhere and then charging high ticket prices. I am Very happy with how the Yotes have looked throughout this young season. I watch and or listen to most coyote games, but just can't make it out to the west side a couple times a month with times as rough as they are now. I will be at the arena to see the Wings on Thursday, so hopefully they give us a run for our money and make it a good game.