• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
daniel1

Leafs

Rate this topic

Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton fans aren't forced to watch the leafs. They play the second in Ontario because they play at 7 out west. Prime time. I'm almost certain that you get a different feed dependng where you live. Habs fans are watching the habs on CBC Ontario natives the leafs etc.

Yes, it's regional. People in Quebec get the Montreal game, Ontario get's the Leafs. One of the two is nation wide. CBC then shows either Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton 10:00 Eastern/7:00 Central. CBC does the best they can to make the majority of people happy.

There is more attention on the Leafs, but it's like the Yankees in America, they are in the biggest city so they get the best ratings.

Not sure about that. There's a ton of Habs fans. The Leafs certainly have the most out of the six teams, but not more than all five combined.

Yea I'm not sure about that either. The Leafs have the most, but I'm sure the Habs are a close 2nd.

I'm not a huge Leafs fan, and I do miss the days when the Wings and Leafs played each other 8 times a year. And though it sucks that you have to watch an awful Leafs team right now, just be thankful you get HNIC. The best thing that came out of the 1994 lockout was doubleheaders on Saturday night. CBC tried to make up for lost time, and I'm sure lost revenue, and have every year since had 2 games on Saturday night. Before then, it was 1 game, and sometimes a little bonus coverage if the game you were watching ended early. (Not counting the dismissal of Dave Hodge in '87 of course)

As a Wings fan, I know what you are going through. I grew up watching lousy Red Wing teams for years, and they were only on tv about 10-15 games back then. I guess the only team to watch on the early game right now is Ottawa.

Watching HNIC back in the day, with games at the Gardens, the Forum, Le Colisee, Northlands Coliseum, Winnipeg Arena, Pacific Coliseum, and the old Calgary Corral really added to the telecasts.

You tax dollars maybe going to subsidize CBC, but I have to pay for all of those crappy reality shows on my cable, just so I can watch hockey.

Next to watching the Red Wings win; I love to watch Toronto lose.

The most arrogant, conceited, selfish franchise in the World is winless in 7 games and the excuses are already mounting. Yet we in Canada are still FORCED to watch these hacks every fricken Saturday night, regardless of how bad they suck. CBC get your HEAD out of your ASS and start to cover a competitive credible franchise! There is hockey outside of Toronto on Saturday nights, yet somehow the Leafs always manage to be the first game on HNIC, all subsidized by my tax dollars. It's now official, as long as this continues, the Leafs Stanley Cup drought will be knows as the HNIC Curse.

Living in TO, I know what you're saying, but they'd have to be complete morons to not cater to the millions of Leafs fans as opposed to thousands of everyone else fans, and not show Leafs games.

It's a ridiculous request. If you don't like it, move.

And fan interest seems to be on the wane; from Toronto Star :

Fans are no longer content to pay big bucks to watch the Leafs lose.

Tickets to Maple Leafs games are being sold for unprecedented low prices on the open market – in what ticket brokers and resellers say is an early sign of a backlash against the club's league-topping ticket prices and basement-dwelling performance.

For the first time ticket sellers can remember, Leafs tickets with face values of $100 to $300 each are routinely selling for as little as half that amount.

There's a funny photo at this link.

It doesn't really matter if Leaf tickets are going for half on the open market, MLSE is still getting their money. People need to cancel their season tickets.

That's true for now, but one has to think its only a matter of time before their season ticket holders start to dwindle as a result. You can only produce a turd for so long before people refuse to smell it.

You raise some interesting points however you are premising your arguments on some rather dubious and innacurate logic: not everyone in Canada has access to the internet, and very few northern towns in the prairies (where your bread, beer and basic food products come from) or Rockies (large rocks in BC, you can look them up) have access to high speed internet. Again, it's not unexpected to see that Ontario residents are out of touch with the reality of conditions across the rest of Canada. Although CBC may be based out of Toronto, it is Canadian tax dollars from every person in every province that enables CBC to operate; their ratings are so low compared to any other USA network that they would have been gone out of business had they not been propped up by the CRTC and OUR tax dollars for years. As such, CBC should not put the needs of one "region" ahead of another, it should be EQUAL coverage of all NHL teams in Canada. The ratings don't really have any bearing on CBC's profits, they are a publicly funded company, funded through taxes. They are not subject to fair market competition or capitalist principals in the same fashion as television stations in the USA or other parts of the world are. The CBC could ostensibly have a 0% ratings share and it would not affect their bottom line as every cable, satellite and free-air television service provider that the CRTC allows to operate in Canada is FORCED to carry CBC in it's basic package, regardless of ratings, programming or customer preference - Canadians are not allowed to "opt out" of CBC when choosing programming or channel packages regardless of their provider (Bell, Shaw, etc).

There may be "plenty of internet" to go around if you live in Ontario, but once again, not every Canadian lives in Ontario or enjoys the same level of infrastructure and convenience that big-city dwellers do.

Alright, so I wasn't thinking someone who was on a discussion forum for 3 hours was using a low-speed connection. But take into account this - 12.2 Million people (2006) live in Ontario. That is 5 million more than 2nd highest population in Quebec. With 2.5 Million living in Toronto, and more in the surrounding area, that's nearly half of Ontario's fanbase is likely to be TML fans. That's only counting a small region nonetheless, so equal distribution isn't worth it to CBC. I would much rather see good teams play, but I have to wait until 10pm to do that. Also mark down that the guys with the most money (generalizing here, I know) are the guys living in Toronto who can afford these 300$ tickets they're selling. The ones with money control the country. I do hate the Leafs, but I have a roommate who's a big fan, without CBC I'm not so sure we'd have anything to argue about :P

If you knew anything about the National Hockey League, you'd know that no matter how bad the Leafs record is, they will always remain the most talked about franchise in professional hockey.

Imagine if Crosby was on the Leafs. I think I'd have to give up hockey for good at that point.

If Sid was on the Leafs, NONE of the other 5 Canadian teams would get any air time.

Yeah. I'm sure they would just stop showing west coast game because Crosby's a Leaf. :rolleyes:

That's true for now, but one has to think its only a matter of time before their season ticket holders start to dwindle as a result. You can only produce a turd for so long before people refuse to smell it.

Another problem the Leafs have is the amount of corporations who own the seasons tickets, the average person has been priced out of it. Most of the corporations don't care, it's a write off and a good way to entertain clients.

Edit: Even if the non corporate people give up their tickets, there's someone who'd be happy to take them.

The Leafs are in such a horrible cycle that they may never get out of it. They're the Chicago Cubs of the NHL. Looking at it from the outside, I'm glad I'm a Red Wings fan.

This area is in bad need of another NHL team.

Edited by Barrie

Guest ZetterbergFourty

My channel switching button on my remote works fine.

You love to see them lose, just not on CBC??

My channel switching button on my remote works fine.

You love to see them lose, just not on CBC??

Imagine if PBS showed hockey, but took hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to show the Blackhawks every week.

ITs the beginning of the season guys, the leafs will bounce back and at the end of the season will just manage to scale the heights of mediocraty like they do every single year.

ITs the beginning of the season guys, the leafs will bounce back and at the end of the season will just manage to scale the heights of mediocraty like they do every single year.

Right. As soon as they're officially eliminated from the playoffs, they'll go unbeaten in 8.

So Daniel1.....who pissed in your Corn Flakes? If you have a digital package, you can watch Ottawa or Montreal on their respective CBC stations, but neither one of those teams are so super-competitive that they warrant a national audience, either. But it has been proven time and again that nobody draws ratings like the Leafs and that's all that matters in broadcasting.

Anyways, the Leafs will win some games when Gustavsson returns on Monday and they get some goaltending. The team has no confidence in Toskala or MacDonald, and they play like it.

I'd be more worried if they were as bad on paper as they've been so far, but they're not. They'll get better. Kessel will play in a couple weeks, too.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Alright, so I wasn't thinking someone who was on a discussion forum for 3 hours was using a low-speed connection. But take into account this - 12.2 Million people (2006) live in Ontario. That is 5 million more than 2nd highest population in Quebec. With 2.5 Million living in Toronto, and more in the surrounding area, that's nearly half of Ontario's fanbase is likely to be TML fans. That's only counting a small region nonetheless, so equal distribution isn't worth it to CBC. I would much rather see good teams play, but I have to wait until 10pm to do that. Also mark down that the guys with the most money (generalizing here, I know) are the guys living in Toronto who can afford these 300$ tickets they're selling. The ones with money control the country. I do hate the Leafs, but I have a roommate who's a big fan, without CBC I'm not so sure we'd have anything to argue about :P

You are quite right; CBC is better than nothing, I just wish it was more representative of ALL of Canada.

You are quite right; CBC is better than nothing, I just wish it was more representative of ALL of Canada.

But really, the Western Conference teams don't want to play the early game because it's an odd time of the day for them to have a game and it throws off routines. The Leafs are playing in Vancouver on Saturday in the early game and it's a 4:00 local start. The Canucks aren't happy about it.

Ottawa isn't a draw outside of the Ottawa region, which why they are rarely the national game.

Montreal draws well with Quebec & the Maritimes, but doesn't have the national drawing power that the Leafs have. That's why the Leafs are almost always the national game.

Last year, the first time the Leafs had no Saturday game (first time since 1991), HNIC had a ratings decline of 30% compared to the previous week when the Leafs played the early game. The primary reason the CBC continually put the Leafs on nationally is because quite a few of the advertisers demand it.

Ottawa isn't a draw outside of the Ottawa region, which why they are rarely the national game.

Montreal draws well with Quebec & the Maritimes, but doesn't have the national drawing power that the Leafs have. That's why the Leafs are almost always the national game.

Last year, the first time the Leafs had no Saturday game (first time since 1991), HNIC had a ratings decline of 30% compared to the previous week when the Leafs played the early game. The primary reason the CBC continually put the Leafs on nationally is because quite a few of the advertisers demand it.

Right, the Leafs are on every Saturday night on CBC because they draw the largest audience.