• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

NHL teams biased against francophones,

Rate this topic

Bob Sirois, a former player in the League, has written a book, "Le Quebec mis en echec: la discrimination envers les Quebecois dans le LNH" (translation..."Quebec bodychecked: discrimination against Quebecers in the NHL"). From Toronto Star :

Former NHL player Bob Sirois wrote a book to be released Tuesday arguing there's a bias against French-Canadian players in the NHL.

The reason it is initially printed in French only is that he couldn't find a publisher interested in printing it in English.

Now, the backlash to the book is starting, but it takes a different path; from Toronto Star :

If there's a bias against drafting hockey players from a certain part of the world, it's the Russians who suffer, not Quebecers, says the NHL's top scout.

McGuire said if any players are drafted later than they ought to be, it's the Russians, simply because NHL general managers are concerned they will stay home to play in the Kontinental Hockey League.In his book Le Québec mis en échec (Quebec Bodychecked), Sirois argues French-Canadian players are drafted lower than the norm, a higher percentage (19) break into the NHL having not been drafted, well over the league norm (10 per cent), and that francophone third- and fourth-liners have shorter careers that anglophone role players.

Yea I'm wondering too if it has something to do with their personality compared to players from other provinces and countries? Being from Ontario, politicians from Quebec like to whine and are consistently talking about separating from Canada. Maybe it trickles down to the rest of the province?

Not only do teams draft and pick up players based on skill, it's attitude as well.

Maybe they aren't as good as they think they are. Maybe it's attitude or personality. Who knows why the numbers turn out the way they do, they just do. It's another case of a French-Canadian whining that they don't get what they want, and they are always being picked on just because they are French. My father's family comes from Quebec, and I grew up listening to all the stories about how they go screwed over because of it. Distinct Society, my ass! Try going to Quebec and not speaking the language and see how well you get treated. I lived there for about a year and a half, only speaking English except for swearing, and you get treated like dirt, if you're lucky. I don't buy it. Most French people I know have some kind of superiority complex going, and there is really no reason for it. Add to that their ability to play the "one upmanship" game, and their value as people in my life goes in the tank.

/rant

Maybe they aren't as good as they think they are. Maybe it's attitude or personality. Who knows why the numbers turn out the way they do, they just do. It's another case of a French-Canadian whining that they don't get what they want, and they are always being picked on just because they are French. My father's family comes from Quebec, and I grew up listening to all the stories about how they go screwed over because of it. Distinct Society, my ass! Try going to Quebec and not speaking the language and see how well you get treated. I lived there for about a year and a half, only speaking English except for swearing, and you get treated like dirt, if you're lucky. I don't buy it. Most French people I know have some kind of superiority complex going, and there is really no reason for it. Add to that their ability to play the "one upmanship" game, and their value as people in my life goes in the tank.

/rant

I think Quebec should become part of France and leave the rest of Canada alone.

I've been living in Queerbec for 3 years now and the Quebecois Quebeccers are so annoying. They spend so much time and energy on stupid pointless things, like the book mentioned. It is also by far the most racist province I've lived in... Quebeccers and their "If its not Quebeccer, it's crap" mentality are the ruin of this province. I'm looking forward to my upcoming move back to Canada in the next few weeks... from the City of hatred and complaints to the nations capital! I wish Canada would flush them down the toilet just like France did many years ago... even the French of France think Quebeccers are annoying!

Guest Shoreline
I've been living in Queerbec for 3 years now and the Quebecois Quebeccers are so annoying. They spend so much time and energy on stupid pointless things, like the book mentioned. It is also by far the most racist province I've lived in... Quebeccers and their "If its not Quebeccer, it's crap" mentality are the ruin of this province. I'm looking forward to my upcoming move back to Canada in the next few weeks... from the City of hatred and complaints to the nations capital! I wish Canada would flush them down the toilet just like France did many years ago... even the French of France think Quebeccers are annoying!

This is actually an exact complaint a good handful of friends from Quebec have, and that mentality (in italics) is what's most definitely "crap".

Edited by Shoreline

This is actually an exact complaint a good handful of friends from Quebec have, and that mentality (in italics) is what's most definitely "crap".

There are so many examples of this here and how its not only ruining the place but makes wanting to stay here very difficult. They protested the free concert Paul McCartney put on to celebrate Quebec city's 400th anniversary, they protested the recent visit of Prince Charles to Quebec... 2 years ago they were planning to protest the St.Patricks Day parade because they felt it was "too english". I think it says volumes to see how players like Vinnie Lecavalier choose other options even while being offered buckets of money to come.

this thread is priceless! keep going guys. anyone in Canada could easily tell the difference between anglo and franco Canadians...franco's strut alot and turn their noses up alot, kind of like poodles if i had to make a comparison.

Sounds a lot like the French... I guess the language a person speaks says a lot about a person.

Sounds a lot like the French... I guess the language a person speaks says a lot about a person.

I was going to say just that.

I'm an historian and a current affairs buff, and I don't think I've ever seen a society in the world that feels the need to strike and protest at EVERY opportunity, regardless of how small the slight.

Except the French don't think that the Quebecois actually speak French.

I remember reading a big article complaining about Saku Koivu--not because he was dogging it as a player or anything, but because he hadn't learned enough French.

Somebody desperately needs to ask Don Cherry for his take on this book.

"Franophone" is one of those words that just sounds silly to me. It makes me think of a device that enables a person to communicate with hot dogs.

Edited by A.T.Hun

Except the French don't think that the Quebecois actually speak French.

I remember reading a big article complaining about Saku Koivu--not because he was dogging it as a player or anything, but because he hadn't learned enough French.

They don't speak the same French. Send a Quebecer to France and they get the same treatment as a person speaking English in Quebec.

I was just going to say something about Saku Koivu, but you beat me to it. I remember that, and they said that the captain of the Habs should be fluent in French and speak nothing but that while he was talking to the media. Complete bulls*** attitude.

Wait, Quebec is in Canada?

Physically it is and it shares the same currency, but not in any other way! One of the main requirements in seeking a replcement for Guy Carboneau behind the bench was fluency in french. Quebecois are useless hate mongers trying to preserve a bastardized language and culture. Quebec french is similar to what ebonics is to English.