Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Michael Nylander - Conditioning with Grand Rapids Griffins

Rate this topic

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...n_grand_rapids/

Nylander On Conditioning Stint In Grand Rapids

by Paul on 10/21/09 at 02:58 PM ET

Comments (1)

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have assigned center Michael Nylander to the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League (AHL) on a conditioning stint, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Guest mindfly
so why is it he came to the griffs and not the caps farm team?

Nylander has NOT been traded. The veteran center, who has not suited up since being used sparingly in the playoffs, simply has agreed to play with the Griffins to get some game action without taking any ice time away from the Capitals' prospects in Hershey.

Nylander has NOT been traded. The veteran center, who has not suited up since being used sparingly in the playoffs, simply has agreed to play with the Griffins to get some game action without taking any ice time away from the Capitals' prospects in Hershey.

so take it away from our players? im not sure i fully understand.

Guest mindfly

I'm sure Griffins gladly would take an experienced player with good puck-control, for free, for a lil while...It's not all about getting prospects ready for DRW but also to win games, sell tickets and whatnot... isnt it?

from MLIVE:

They did what now? Washington Capitals assign Michael Nylander to Grand Rapids Griffins for conditioning stint

By George Malik

October 21, 2009, 3:26PM

Bizarre move via Kukla's Korner: The Washington Capitals, who have a functional AHL affiliate in the Hershey Bears, have assigned forward Michael Nylander and his $4.875 million salary to the Grand Rapids Griffins on a conditioning stint. The Detroit Red Wings have no interest whatsoever in an under-performing, injury-prone player who's been rumored to be bolting for the KHL for the past two seasons...and the Washington Post's Tarik El-Bashir attempts to make sense of the move:

October 21, Washington Post: Michael Nylander has agreed to go to AHL Grand Rapids for a conditioning stint, I'm told.

How Nylander performs could determine what happens next. There has been a little interest from some KHL teams, but those clubs have also expressed concern about Nylander's conditioning and ability to come in and contribute because it's been so long since his last game. This is Nylander's chance to prove he can still play, and, perhaps, facilitate a loan/trade.

The 37-year-old, by the way, did not have to clear waivers in order to be sent to Grand Rapids. He also still counts toward towards the Capitals' 23-man roster and his salary still counts against Washington's salary cap.

It's win/win. Nylander gets to condition with a team. Hershey doesn't have to bench players that could use the ice time. Griffins get a skater to cover guys like Abi. I guess that makes it a win/win/win situation. I get it. It's cooperation between two organizations, and when/if the Red Wings need a solid sometime, the Caps will be there to help...hopefully.

Wow, I've never heard of this before. Didn't even know something like this was possible. I would be pretty pissed off that Nylander is taking time away from OUR prospects. But obviously the Red Wings agreed to this, so they must think he has a chance of helping the Griffins win. So I guess I'm okay with it. It's just seams unprecedented. 20 years of being a die-hard fan and I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Weird.

The AHL is a development league. Therefore, the are limits on the number of veterans who can suit up each game. It could be that Hershey is at their maximum with their current roster; whereas GR may have an available veteran spot. Otherwise, he could be assigned but couldn't get game time.

There has to be a reaon somewhere...

While a bit puzzled like everyone else, I'm quite happy with this move. The Griffins have no lines that are really gelling at the moment so this won't hurt, and if Nylander clicks and starts performing then it can only be a good thing for Grand Rapids and the confidence of the team. At 1-4, they need more wins.