• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

Mitchell hit on Toews

Rate this topic

damn. I'm surprised Toews got up from that.

even if he had his head up it's hard to detect a player coming right out of the penalty box. tough luck. beautiful hit.

:siren::siren::siren:

You cannot see all things at all times, head up or not. Especially at the speed of the NHL game. A crusher of hit, indeed. I expected to see him unconconscious then burst back to life ala Richard Parks.

one post up...glad to see i'm not the only one that thinks this. superstars aren't *******, quit treating them like glass!

Agreed. If you have a problem with a guy laying out one of your stars, challenge them after a whistle or wait until a face-off and let them know as soon as the puck drops you want throw down....otherwise, it's called hockey. Players get hit....even the valuable ones.

Once again, I hate that the game stops when a player gets laid out, legally. I completely agree with Mickey that its ridiculous that people go after a player immediately after one of their guys is crushed by a legal check. Awesome hit!

If I'm a Hawks fan, and my captain gets hit, I want to see retribution.

Nothing wrong with Chicago trying to go after Mitchell. They're not going to pat him on the back and say "great hit Willy, way to lay out our captain with a clean one". ;)

Why should they wait until later in the game, providing the right opportunity even comes up? Mitchell knew there'd be instant retribution, so he wasn't exactly surprised at their reaction.

Edited by GMRwings1983

QFT.

If you have a problem with a guy laying out one of your stars., challenge them after a whistle or wait until a face-off and let them know as soon as the puck drops you want throw down....otherwise, it's called hockey. Players get hit....even the valuable ones.

:thumbup:

Or one up them with a bigger clean hit on the hitter and a goal. Although you're not gonna get a bigger hit than that one. :blink: Have to go for the quantity with a barage of hits, everyone on the ice takes a turn at hitting the hitter every shift.

Edit: Worst case scenario: fight the hitter right then and there, beat his ass and quell whatever mo they may have gotten with the hit AND satisfy all the retribution mongers. I prefer the one upper method myself. But none of this stupid half hearted scrum BS.

Edited by T.Low

Or one up them with a bigger clean hit on the hitter and a goal. Although you're not gonna get a bigger hit than that one. :blink: Have to go for the quantity with a barage of hits, everyone on the ice takes a turn at hitting the hitter every shift.

nah seabrook or barker or someone could have easily gone after Sedin or Kesler or someone with that magnitude of a hit.

Nothing wrong with Chicago trying to go after Mitchell. They're not going to pat him on the back and say "great hit Willy, way to lay out our captain with a clean one". ;)

Why should they wait until later in the game, providing the right opportunity even comes up? Mitchell knew there'd be instant retribution, so he wasn't exactly surprised at their reaction.

No one's expecting them to say "great hit Willy, way to lay out our captain with a clean one." What I'm saying is that there should be consequences for breaking play right after a legal clean check. If you want to fight someone, do it within the rules of the game otherwise the Blackhawks are simply "instigating."

Play the game, realize your players are gonna get hit and then throw down at the next stoppage or challenge Mitchell the next time he takes the ice. You'll get your retribution and the game can continue the way it was meant to be played. No one's saying the hit shouldn't be avenged.

Clean hit, but Willie should of let up as Toews had his head down. No need for such a big hit so early in the season.

WTF! the hitting starts when the season does. or the NHL could institue a rule where prior to the all-star break to ensure max participation from the best players in the game.....the supestars on each team will have a flag attached to their pants like in flag football where if you take their flag away they give you the puck, or not!

you obviously need to stop watching soccer all summer. hockey is a contact sport 82 games a season and playoffs. no one here minds when guys get kronwalled even in pre-season. keep ya head up son! and stay off the train tracks.

You should wait because that's hockey. If that hit was just an ordinary hit and the other team gets the puck, they now have the opportunity to make a play. With a SPECTACULAR hit like that, the other team now has the opportunity to make a play one man up witch is the way it should be. IMO whoever goes after the hitter immediately after a big hit should go to the box for delay of game and the other team gets a power play.

To me by letting the scrum after the hit happen you are penalizing a good clean play which is wrong in any sport.

No one's expecting them to say "great hit Willy, way to lay out our captain with a clean one." What I'm saying is that there should be consequences for breaking play right after a legal clean check. If you want to fight someone, do it within the rules of the game otherwise the Blackhawks are simply "instigating."

Play the game, realize your players are gonna get hit and then throw down at the next stoppage or challenge Mitchell the next time he takes the ice. You'll get your retribution and the game can continue the way it was meant to be played. No one's saying the hit shouldn't be avenged.

Agreed.

the fighting for clean hits has gotten waaaay out of hand over the years.

The only thing I don't like about this hit is it was on Toews and not Kane. Definitely a bit of suicide pass, but how often are you expecting a guy to come flying out of the box like that? Still, great hit.

You should wait because that's hockey. If that hit was just an ordinary hit and the other team gets the puck, they now have the opportunity to make a play. With a SPECTACULAR hit like that, the other team now has the opportunity to make a play one man up witch is the way it should be. IMO whoever goes after the hitter immediately after a big hit should go to the box for delay of game and the other team gets a power play.

To me by letting the scrum after the hit happen you are penalizing a good clean play which is wrong in any sport.

You lay someone out like that, cleanly, and it's your team's advantage... as it should be.

If they're going to have the instigator penalty, this is a perfect time for them to actually use it to benefit the game.

A Konstantinov hit leads to a scoring chance:

Edited by egroen

You lay someone out like that, cleanly, and it's your team's advantage... as it should be.

If they're going to have the instigator penalty, this is a perfect time for them to actually use it to benefit the game.

A Konstantinov hit leads to a scoring chance:

I'll see your Vladdy and raise you a Markov leading to a goal:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /> Edited by ManLuv4Clears

Those are great examples. If the other team had dropped the gloves, the play gets stopped. No goal.

They need to start calling instigators for fighting after clean hits. Especially because in a lot of those situations, the guy who threw the check gets jumped by more than one player.

Once again, I hate that the game stops when a player gets laid out, legally. I completely agree with Mickey that its ridiculous that people go after a player immediately after one of their guys is crushed by a legal check. Awesome hit!

It's hard to disagree with Mickey he's awesome, just like that hit.

I hope for my Fantasy team's sake he doesn't miss any games.

Seriously, my guys are going down like flies.

Markov

Souray

Franzen

and now Toews.

Oh come on now!! I just traded you Bieksa and Conklin!! What more do you need!! ROFL!! seriously that sucks!!

Those are great examples. If the other team had dropped the gloves, the play gets stopped. No goal.

They need to start calling instigators for fighting after clean hits. Especially because in a lot of those situations, the guy who threw the check gets jumped by more than one player.

Exactly Harold!! I was more upset that a Sedin Breakaway was negated because three Hawks players want to jump Mitchell!!

I understand that Towes is one of their stars, but when you have your head down and crossing center ice, I would have to tell my star player, "Sorry Dude" I'm not saying that someone on the Hawks should have later on did something as a payback hit!

You are taught as a young hockey player not to skate with your head down!! Towes is no exception!

Petty soon the NHL is going to have a "roughing the star player penalty"! CRAZY!!

could there possibly be a rule implemented where the whistle doesnt blow for a fight during a scoring chance? I understand most cases where the whistle blows, but the fight was happening well out of the play where there was a breakaway and a wide open follow up man.

When the net is knocked off its moorings, its not an auto whistle, only if it happens close to the play, would it be possible to see something similar with a fighting situation like this?

I agree with others, shame that they went after him for a clean hit and the play stops.

For once, I have to agree with GMR. What good are your enforcers if they don't protect your top players? Even if they have to take an instigator I think it is worth it to immediately go after Mitchell. Waiting is fine and dandy when your average joes take a few lumps here and there, but when your captain (who isn't the biggest toughest guy in the world) gets blindsided (albeit cleanly) with the intent of concussing him into next year then that person should be met with the same intent to injure he delivered on Toews. And don't tell me he didn't want to injure him, we have all been there. Mitchell saw a blindside head down opportunity and proceeded to hit him as hard he could. It was a legal hit with an intent to injure, and you can't stand idly by when that happens to your important players.

Edited by kook_10

For once, I have to agree with GMR. What good are your enforcers if they don't protect your top players? Even if they have to take an instigator I think it is worth it to immediately go after Mitchell. Waiting is fine and dandy when your average joes take a few lumps here and there, but when your captain (who isn't the biggest toughest guy in the world) gets blindsided (albeit cleanly) with the intent of concussing him into next year then that person should be met with the same intent to injure he delivered on Toews. And don't tell me he didn't want to injure him, we have all been there. Mitchell saw a blindside head down opportunity and proceeded to hit him as hard he could. It was a legal hit with an intent to injure, and you can't stand idly by when that happens to your important players.

They protect players from cheap crap after the whistle or dirty play during the game.

It's not like going after star players is a new phenomenon. It just used to be handled better. Tough guys would take a number, and/or they'd go after the other teams star players (cleanly). I don't know if they did or not, but Vancouver should've gotten a power play after that clean hit. I wish the refs wouldn't have blown the whistle and that goal had counted.

Mitchell saw an opportunity to hit a guy. It happens so fast you can't say he had intent to injure. That's after-instant-replay kind of analysis. Every hit you go to hit a guy hard. It's not like they want to kill somebody, but they're gonna take the opportunity to rock them, even when he's not looking.

If you can say for sure that's intent to injure, than Kronwall does that with just about every open ice hit he throws.

It was a clean hit. How can you say there was "intent to injure?"

It was a legal hit with an intent to injure, and you can't stand idly by when that happens to your important players.

These are grown men playing a tough game. Yes you need to stick up for your teammates, but there was a time when it was just acknowledged to be a hard hit and move on.