• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

Mitchell hit on Toews

Rate this topic

I'll see your Vladdy and raise you a Markov leading to a goal:

Are you ManLuv4Markov? How could you not go with Cleary's hit on Phanuef leading to his assist on a goal in WCQFs?

Edited by T.Low

Guest Shoreline
No one's expecting them to say "great hit Willy, way to lay out our captain with a clean one." What I'm saying is that there should be consequences for breaking play right after a legal clean check. If you want to fight someone, do it within the rules of the game otherwise the Blackhawks are simply "instigating."

Play the game, realize your players are gonna get hit and then throw down at the next stoppage or challenge Mitchell the next time he takes the ice. You'll get your retribution and the game can continue the way it was meant to be played. No one's saying the hit shouldn't be avenged.

I agree, and this whole fighting-after-a-clean-check thing (unless its the two people involved in the check) is stupid and not hockey. It was a clean check, Toews' head was watching the puck and teammates, he got crushed. Get up, go to the bench, and that's it. The other s*** is a sideshow and if it interrupts the game it needs to be harshly penalized. Enough of the idiots going after players upon making clean checks.

I agree, and this whole fighting-after-a-clean-check thing (unless its the two people involved in the check) is stupid and not hockey. It was a clean check, Toews' head was watching the puck and teammates, he got crushed. Get up, go to the bench, and that's it. The other s*** is a sideshow and if it interrupts the game it needs to be harshly penalized. Enough of the idiots going after players upon making clean checks.

Shoreline you and I agree on something?!?!?! What is this world coming to?

The hit also lead to a 1on0 for Sedin but the ref decided to blow the whistle due to the retaliaton..

0:14

It's pretty easy for us sitting at home in front of an HDTV with access to instant replay to see if indeed a hit was clean, or dirty...A teammate on the ice from a different angle (maybe even outta the corner of his eye) may see it differently, and I can see how someone would want to avenge for what was deemed a dirty hit...That said it was perfectly clean; Toews has gotta keep his head up next time.

Slew foots can also lead to injury.

Just because a player ends up on the ice doesn't mean someone should seek retribution. Why can't players respect the hit and if they can't see it then don't get into a situation you know nothing about.

In real time, after watching it once I could tell it was clean. Suck it up and get revenge by physically dominating them or outplaying them. Don't throw a hissy fit simply because your own player got rocked.

Slew foots can also lead to injury.

Just because a player ends up on the ice doesn't mean someone should seek retribution. Why can't players respect the hit and if they can't see it then don't get into a situation you know nothing about.

In real time, after watching it once I could tell it was clean. Suck it up and get revenge by physically dominating them or outplaying them. Don't throw a hissy fit simply because your own player got rocked.

So Downey shouldn't have thrown a hissy fit? Maybe he should have just checked him hard.

So Downey shouldn't have thrown a hissy fit? Maybe he should have just checked him hard.

Probably, that looked like a pretty clean hit to me.

However that was one time Lids put himself in an awkward spot and didn't get out in time.

Lappy did not go in elbows up, off his skates, he just caught Lids in a bad spot.

And the one thing all of these hits have in common is that if the hitter does not take the opportunity to hit a player he is hurting his own team, if Willie side steps him and if the Hawks score a goal on that play it is solely because Willie lets up! That is far worse than taking a hit a player with his head between his skates.

Or simply the Nucks don't get the break away and a chance to tie the game because Willie didn't do his job. Oh wait the refs f***ed that up.

I do not see how this is any different than the hit Markov laid out that led to the Dats goal.

The only difference is where the D-man started his journey, one was on the ice, one came out of the PB!

Jesus lets turn it into the NFL and say people wearing a "C' (as opposed to being the QB) can only be hit certain ways, certain times of year (by the way weakest argument I have ever heard, WEAK!). What next, he can't be hit against the boards, or unless some one is behind him to catch him, should the 'C' also get extra padding?

Probably, that looked like a pretty clean hit to me.

However that was one time Lids put himself in an awkward spot and didn't get out in time.

Lappy did not go in elbows up, off his skates, he just caught Lids in a bad spot.

And the one thing all of these hits have in common is that if the hitter does not take the opportunity to hit a player he is hurting his own team, if Willie side steps him and if the Hawks score a goal on that play it is solely because Willie lets up! That is far worse than taking a hit a player with his head between his skates.

Or simply the Nucks don't get the break away and a chance to tie the game because Willie didn't do his job. Oh wait the refs f***ed that up.

I do not see how this is any different than the hit Markov laid out that led to the Dats goal.

The only difference is where the D-man started his journey, one was on the ice, one came out of the PB!

Jesus lets turn it into the NFL and say people wearing a "C' (as opposed to being the QB) can only be hit certain ways, certain times of year (by the way weakest argument I have ever heard, WEAK!). What next, he can't be hit against the boards, or unless some one is behind him to catch him, should the 'C' also get extra padding?

OK - well I didnt expect that kind of response :P but to me that hit looked cleaner than Mitchell's. If the Wings are going to send Downey after a guy 10 minutes after a clean hit then Chicago going after Mitchell shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Both D-Men did exactly what they are supposed to do, no one is saying that they shouldn't or it shouldn't be legal. It is up to the team to let everyone know that they won't allow it.

I don't see Downey going after Lappy immediately after the hit.

Isn't that what we are talking about?

Well from your post you made it sound like they shouldn't even do that:

Suck it up and get revenge by physically dominating them or outplaying them. Don't throw a hissy fit simply because your own player got rocked.

To me it would seem worse to wait because, especially in that Downey fight, everyone knew it was clean and the fight just seemed like a real jerkoff.

Edited by kook_10

What else can teams decide they won't allow?

Goals, if some one scores you kick their ass, sort of like beaning a guy in baseball you just hit a homer?

Why wait until the next at bat, usually the ref throws another ball to the pitcher while the hitter is trotting. Bean him right then and then, why wait, that way if you hit him hard enough he can't score!

What else can teams decide they won't allow?

Goals, if some one scores you kick their ass, sort of like beaning a guy in baseball you just hit a homer?

Why wait until the next at bat, usually the ref throws another ball to the pitcher while the hitter is trotting. Bean him right then and then, why wait, that way if you hit him hard enough he can't score!

Such histrionics! On LGW no less! Protecting your captain would seem like a priority to some, but hey if you need to get someone's back I suppose you can take the waaaay back.

Listen to Draper in the video you posted: (all paraphrased)

I think it was unnecessary (talking about Lappy hitting Lids), all Nik was doing was trying to make a play at the puck, I don't think (Lappy) looked at the puck, he wanted to finish his check. Its unfortunate. Downs was great for us all game, it was unbelievable the way he stood up for his teammates.

Did he say Downey needed to beat his ass because that was way out of line? No. Did he say anything about it being a dirty play? No, and you would think against Col if one guy was going to get fired up over a dirty hit it would be 33!

Then at the very end, Downey says if you are going run our guy or go at him with your elbow....

Downs is talking like Lappy ran or elbowed Lids, which sets his definition of action, he then went out and acted after that play. The play in question with Toews was not dirty, and no one thinks the elbow was up, Toews himself says I had my head down my bad.

Yet you still think some one should have jumped Willie for making a good clean hockey play.

Again I ask does that mean if some one scores you can beat the crap out of them? No, then where is the line drawn, Just 'C', star players, anyone who has ever made an all star game, is an all star this year, has a shield, has an Easton, is at center ice, does not know the hit is coming, ? What are the boundaries for a completely legal and clean hit to be instantly retaliated for.

Hey I am all for it going down right away if a guy spears someone or Drapers them, any of that crap instant revenge.

But on a clean play the ref blew the play dead, potentially winning the game for CHI because Van needs to tie the game up and that 1-0 was looking good Sedin vs The Human Sieve, err umm Huet!

Listen to Draper in the video you posted: (all paraphrased)

I think it was unnecessary (talking about Lappy hitting Lids), all Nik was doing was trying to make a play at the puck, I don't think (Lappy) looked at the puck, he wanted to finish his check. Its unfortunate. Downs was great for us all game, it was unbelievable the way he stood up for his teammates.

Did he say Downey needed to beat his ass because that was way out of line? No. Did he say anything about it being a dirty play? No, and you would think against Col if one guy was going to get fired up over a dirty hit it would be 33!

He also pointed out that he took issue with Laperriere zoning in on Lids rather than the puck with the intention of drilling him. Same way

Mitchell zoned in on Toews and drilled him. Then he praised Downey for doing something about it!

Downey said that he was sending a message around the league that if you run the captain you will have to pay the price. If that hit qualifies as running the captain I don't see how you could say the Mitchell hit doesn't.

Again I ask does that mean if some one scores you can beat the crap out of them? No, then where is the line drawn, Just 'C', star players, anyone who has ever made an all star game, is an all star this year, has a shield, has an Easton, is at center ice, does not know the hit is coming, ? What are the boundaries for a completely legal and clean hit to be instantly retaliated for.

Where would you start? Is the captain a good place? What are your boundaries? Does Hank need to be hit knee to knee before you do something about it?

As for the timing of it all, maybe it should be illegal to immediately retaliate but the refs blew the whistle and they didn't issue any instigator and they consistently haven't called it that way. Is it really less of an instigator to jump a guy the next period or immediately after a perceived offense? In most cases, the person you want to retaliate just isn't on the ice at the same time.

Edited by kook_10

Well from your post you made it sound like they shouldn't even do that:

To me it would seem worse to wait because, especially in that Downey fight, everyone knew it was clean and the fight just seemed like a real jerkoff.

If you take a run at a star player, for any reason, in most cases someone is going to be much more aggressive towards you during the game.

Doesn't mean you should go directly after them once he makes that run.

Such histrionics! On LGW no less! Protecting your captain would seem like a priority to some, but hey if you need to get someone's back I suppose you can take the waaaay back.

I'd love to see how Lidstrom was protected considering he didn't play the rest of the game.