• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

VM1138

What's the Story Behind This Incident?

Rate this topic

On page 77 of the book The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Detroit Red Wings by Ted Kulfan, the author relates an incident during the dramatic era when the Wings were stuck with three goalies: Hasek, Joseph and Legace. We all know this was a pretty bizarre time in the recent history of the team, but Kulfan briefly mentions an incident that caught my eye and I was hoping someone else could explain this.

Here is the text:

"The Hasek experiment didn't nearly go as well the second time around. He was limited to 14 games the entire season because of lingering groin problems and never could get completely healthy. Then, one afternoon in January, after practice had ended, Hasek skated out to the ice to presumably test his groin. What was odd was the fact that some of the players seemed to be aiming shots high, at Hasek's head. It seemed they were trying to hurt him, rather than helping him back into the lineup. Evidently, the Wings already knew. Hasek was about to call it a season."

I had never heard this before. Is it normal for players to do something like that? If not, does anyone know which players were aiming at his head? Anyone know more details about this incident? I've never played ice hockey on a team, so maybe I'm missing something but that seems really classless.

I've played a bit of hockey in my time, and I'm completely baffled by this one. I've played with guys (that just sounds weird) that weren't very well liked, but to try to intentionally injure a teammate doesn't make sense to me. We would not hesitate to get a player's back during the game. Even at practice when it was just us, it was about conditioning and practice, not payback. I'd be surprised if this was true, but I don't know for sure. I'll certainly be watching this thread to see what others have to say about it.

"The Hasek experiment didn't nearly go as well the second time around. He was limited to 14 games the entire season because of lingering groin problems and never could get completely healthy. Then, one afternoon in January, after practice had ended, Hasek skated out to the ice to presumably test his groin. What was odd was the fact that some of the players seemed to be aiming shots high, at Hasek's head. It seemed they were trying to hurt him, rather than helping him back into the lineup. Evidently, the Wings already knew. Hasek was about to call it a season."

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Not only does the author claim to know what the players were thinking but he shows absolutely zero proof of such a claim. Typically when you are warming up a goaltender you shoot the puck at his pads so he gets a feel for the puck. A lot of times when goaltenders are coming off of groin injuries plaeyrs are instructed to shoo the puck higher during warm ups so that the goaltender doesnt tweak his groin. Not only that, but to claim that players are shooting the puck high in an attempt to hurt a goalie is ridiculous. WIth the equipment and skill level of these goalies shooting the puck high isn't going to do anything. That entire paragraph is a joke and in itself will stop me from ever reading that book. The paragrpah reads like it was written by an author who is not only clueless when it comes to hockey but when it comes to logic and journalism.

This doesn't really answer the question, but isn't Dom pretty sensitive about people shooting high on him in practice? It could have been more of a case of people just trying to piss him off as opposed to actually hurting him.

This doesn't really answer the question, but isn't Dom pretty sensitive about people shooting high on him in practice? It could have been more of a case of people just trying to piss him off as opposed to actually hurting him.

Good point.

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Not only does the author claim to know what the players were thinking but he shows absolutely zero proof of such a claim. Typically when you are warming up a goaltender you shoot the puck at his pads so he gets a feel for the puck. A lot of times when goaltenders are coming off of groin injuries plaeyrs are instructed to shoo the puck higher during warm ups so that the goaltender doesnt tweak his groin. Not only that, but to claim that players are shooting the puck high in an attempt to hurt a goalie is ridiculous. WIth the equipment and skill level of these goalies shooting the puck high isn't going to do anything. That entire paragraph is a joke and in itself will stop me from ever reading that book. The paragrpah reads like it was written by an author who is not only clueless when it comes to hockey but when it comes to logic and journalism.

You're dead on...

Agreed 100%.

Sorry guys, but I remember this - it wasn't reported at the time, naturally, but afterwards plenty of columnists pointed out that Hasek had annoyed some of the vets and were aiming shots at his head. IIRC the stories also resurfaced when he fell out with Ottowa as evidence that Hasek was me-first and a poor team-mate.

As for "deliberately hurting him", goalies are pretty well protected, Hasek was prone to heading pucks in games anyway, and Hockey players, like most proffessional athletes, have their own ways and means of showing their disaproval towards team-mates.

Sucks that the Wings lost Cujo because of that whole debacle.

I was a Cujo guy, but in hindsight it probably worked out for the best, since he was pretty much done as a legit #1 post-lockout. If we keep him, then who knows what happens for sure, but it probably doesn't involve the Osgood/Hasek tandem that was vital to good seasons in 2006-07 and 2007-08.

Good times, those were. You haven't seen a real goalie thread unless you were around back then.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Hasek actually requested guys to shoot at his head in practice, so that he could get used to high shots in the game, and combat the reflex to "duck".

Sounds like the author is just trying to inject some drama where there probably wasn't any at all.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Hasek actually requested guys to shoot at his head in practice, so that he could get used to high shots in the game, and combat the reflex to "duck".

Sounds like the author is just trying to inject some drama where there probably wasn't any at all.

See, having played goalie for 2 seasons (i wanted to try it out, i'm a true left winger/power forward) i actually did this in practice. I had a reflex to duck my head when the puck came near it so the team pulled a mighty ducks on me and tied me to the net and they all took high shots at me until i no longer felt the urge to duck once i took a few in the mask and realized it wouldn't come through and crack my face lol. I could see this being true.

Not sure about Kulfan's claims just like everyone else here. Seems to be a stretch assumption based on nothing.

With that said, I have ALWAYS maintained that I never liked how Holland handled this, I thought Cujo got screwed and the blame was inappropriately laid at his feet.

Sorry guys, but I remember this - it wasn't reported at the time, naturally, but afterwards plenty of columnists pointed out that Hasek had annoyed some of the vets and were aiming shots at his head. IIRC the stories also resurfaced when he fell out with Ottowa as evidence that Hasek was me-first and a poor team-mate.

As for "deliberately hurting him", goalies are pretty well protected, Hasek was prone to heading pucks in games anyway, and Hockey players, like most proffessional athletes, have their own ways and means of showing their disaproval towards team-mates.

I actually remember hearing this shortly after it happened too. The article back then claimed the team didn't really appreciate Hasek coming back and putting CuJo in a bad spot. Who knows if its true, but like I said, I remember this being reported shortly after it happened.

Anyways, the whole CuJo thing is the only black eye on the Wings org. in the past 20 year IMO. He was brought in with high hopes, and he never played GREAT, but he did play well enough to win. People blamed the 4 game sweep to Anaheim on him, as well as the 2nd round loss to the Flamers in '05. I always felt he didn't get a fair shot with Hasek coming back and stirring things up.

Anyways, the whole CuJo thing is the only black eye on the Wings org. in the past 20 year IMO. He was brought in with high hopes, and he never played GREAT, but he did play well enough to win. People blamed the 4 game sweep to Anaheim on him, as well as the 2nd round loss to the Flamers in '05. I always felt he didn't get a fair shot with Hasek coming back and stirring things up.

I'd agree with this. I was always a big Cujo fan and always felt bad at how that whole 3 goalie debacle went down.

See, having played goalie for 2 seasons (i wanted to try it out, i'm a true left winger/power forward) i actually did this in practice. I had a reflex to duck my head when the puck came near it so the team pulled a mighty ducks on me and tied me to the net and they all took high shots at me until i no longer felt the urge to duck once i took a few in the mask and realized it wouldn't come through and crack my face lol. I could see this being true.

I did similar, boxing in high school. Go ahead, hit me in the face. Rear back and go for the right cross to the jaw. Knew if I could take that then I would be up for anything in a match. Worked, too- 2 league titles, one heavyweight and one super heavyweight. :boxing:

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Detroit Red Wings by Ted Kulfan

Thanks for the heads up about that book and it's frivolous reporting... now I know not to waste my hard earned money to buy this garbage of a book. Ted Kulfan is a money grubbing ***** that will obvioulsy make up horrible lies to sell a book. Hope nobody else wastes their money on it.

The "other" story that played out that year that seems to be omitted from this book is the part about Hasek walking into Ken Hollands office and returning the rest of the six million dollar contract he had just signed with the Red Wings. It was an unprecedented move and the first time in pro-sports history that an athlete volunteered to return guaranteed money. Ken Holland later said it was a very classy move and a lot of the reason the Red Wings decided to give it another go with Dom in 2006.

As far as who was in the wrong that year, no one really. I am sure Cujo and Dom were both frustrated with the situation. The Red Wings took a gamble bringing Dom in with Cujo under contract and it didn't pay off they weren't able to move his top heavy contract after his mediocore performance the previous year. I think both Dom and Cujo and Manny for that matter are stand up guys for different reasons, but Dom and Cujo espically handled the situation as best as could be expected.

Hats off to both of them!

Thanks for the heads up about that book and it's frivolous reporting... now I know not to waste my hard earned money to buy this garbage of a book. Ted Kulfan is a money grubbing ***** that will obvioulsy make up horrible lies to sell a book. Hope nobody else wastes their money on it.

how do you know they're lies? maybe its true...to me it sounds like your making the same kind of assumptions your accusing him of.

Edited by wmubronco420