• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/24 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Avalanche 3

Rate this topic

On the record.. I am not a Howard fan.. at all...

Don't like him Now....didn't like him before......

BUT That being said... The defense hanging him out to dry tonight was lazy....

that second goal was a perfectly placed shot, I dont think many goaltenders in the league

would of made that save.

Howard was a goalie tonight... I just wish the rest of the guys showed up tonight...

Man the selectiveness of some here is astounding. I don't remember anyone blaming this lost "solely at Howards feet". If you were replying to my comment, which I think you were, you clearly missed 90% of what I said. No first line scoring, secondary scoring, etc.

And btw - Howard was ok. Anyone calling his play brilliant is a dolt. Anderson played brilliant, Howard didn't play as bad as he usually does.

Just because Jhoward has the bar set lower then any other goaltender in Wing history doesn't mean every time he makes a save his play becomes "brilliant".

Howard played very well. He made some very good pad and glove saves when the Wings were pinned in their own zone.

He played miles better than expected (and much better than he has in the past), and for that he should be congratulated.

Also for the record I think Howard was out of position on that second goal. It was still a very well placed shot.

Edited by Doc Holiday

Nearly everyone here is a dedicated Wings fan. You'll have to excuse people for wanting to vent their frustrations after watching the Wings fail so utterly when they have no excuse or clear reason for doing so.

There's a huge difference between venting frustration after a crappy game and being Mindfly.

I never said people couldn't vent. I'm pissed off too. I just see a difference in saying the team is in trouble and we need to work on it fast and saying that we're not making the playoffs, everyone sucks and the season's over. My comment was directed at those people, not the posters who can criticize the team but be reasonable about it at the same time.

As far as Howard goes-- I completely disagree. Bad goal or not, that was still only the second goal that was scored on him. With the way the Wings played offensively Howard can't be blamed at all. If you only let 2 goals in all night you're doing a great job in net. The only way he could have won that game was with a shut-out. That's an absurdly unrealistic expectation to have of your goalie. If you play a game and only manage to score one goal the blame lies on the offense. That is especially true for this game where the Wings had 7 PP opportunities and failed to convert on any of them.

It's not necessarily that I thought he had a poor game -- especially for being Jimmy Howard, it seemed like a pretty damn good effort. But the timing of the goal, like the timing of a few other killer goals that have tied/lost the Wings games this season, was about as lousy as you can get. The score really could have been anything 0-0, 3-3, 2-1, whatever, something always seems to be finding its way in.

With all that said - one good thing came out of this game, well that is if you are a fan of USA Hockey.

I am talking about Anderson. If he keeps this up Burke will have no other option but to bring him aboard for the '10 Olympics.

I thought Howard looked great in net compared to his first start.

Something has to give with Ericsson, though. He's made a LOT of retarded decisions, and getting stripped in your own zone to turn around and get a goal scored from that stripping is ridiculous. Someone teach the kid how to protect the puck. Every time he and Lebda are on the ice together, I just wait for s*** to go horribly, awfully wrong.

I never said people couldn't vent. I'm pissed off too. I just see a difference in saying the team is in trouble and we need to work on it fast and saying that we're not making the playoffs, everyone sucks and the season's over. My comment was directed at those people, not the posters who can criticize the team but be reasonable about it at the same time.

At this rate we aren't making the playoffs. Now I am not claiming that we are done, because things could turn around. But if they don't turn around, and we keep at this pace, we won't make the playoffs.

Man the selectiveness of some here is astounding. I don't remember anyone blaming this lost "solely at Howards feet". If you were replying to my comment, which I think you were, you clearly missed 90% of what I said. No first line scoring, secondary scoring, etc.

And btw - Howard was ok. Anyone calling his play brilliant is a dolt. Anderson played brilliant, Howard didn't play as bad as he usually does.

Just because Jhoward has the bar set lower then any other goaltender in Wing history doesn't mean every time he makes a save his play becomes "brilliant".

He let 2 goals in against the best team in the West. Brilliant is an overstatement, but it's no more of an overstatement than "didn't play as bad as he usually does" is an understatement.

If you think Howard's play was anything less than very good you're nuts. He made a bunch of key stops against the dominant team in the West.

He let 2 goals in against the best team in the West. Brilliant is an overstatement, but it's no more of an overstatement than "didn't play as bad as he usually does" is an understatement.

If you think Howard's play was anything less than very good you're nuts. He made a bunch of key stops against the dominant team in the West.

I don't know. I think there are a couple different ways you can look at it. I mean I hear your argument, but I counter with the fact that Anderson stopped 48 of 49 shots, stealing the game and giving his team another win. Maybe that's why they are the most "dominant" team in the west - because they have a goalie who can stop 48 of 49.

Can you friggin imagine if the Wings let 49 shots go on Howard, or Ozzie for that matter? I get the shakes thinking about it.

At this rate we aren't making the playoffs. Now I am not claiming that we are done, because things could turn around. But if they don't turn around, and we keep at this pace, we won't make the playoffs.

Obviously if we play like this all year we're not making the playoffs. However I don't believe we're going to play like this for a full 82-game season. It's bad now and people are rightfully upset but to outright say we're definitely NOT making the playoffs when 90% of the season is yet to be played....I don't see how someone can make that prediction and solid with it.

Well ... we are now officially a bottom feeder.

Teams now look forward to playing us.

This is absolutely pathetic and unacceptable.

Only thing worst is if we lose to the Leafs ... and that's a distinct possibility next Saturday.

I thought Howard looked great in net compared to his first start.

Something has to give with Ericsson, though. He's made a LOT of retarded decisions, and getting stripped in your own zone to turn around and get a goal scored from that stripping is ridiculous. Someone teach the kid how to protect the puck. Every time he and Lebda are on the ice together, I just wait for s*** to go horribly, awfully wrong.

Defensively, Ericsson looks like a rookie d-man out there. That's why putting him with Lebda leads to a s***-show-- Lebda looks like a rookie out there too.

This is what you expect from a young d-man in his first full NHL season, regardless of how talented he is or how well he played before entering the NHL, defense is incredibly hard to ease into at the NHL level. That being said, he still shows flashes out there-- it's not like he looks like he's going to be a poor defensive d-man. He's been a big part of the PK success lately.

Obviously if we play like this all year we're not making the playoffs. However I don't believe we're going to play like this for a full 82-game season. It's bad now and people are rightfully upset but to outright say we're definitely NOT making the playoffs when 90% of the season is yet to be played....I don't see how someone can make that prediction and solid with it.

Well I think they (and I emphasize 'they' because I am not writing them off yet) are making the predicitions by the only tangible thing available - the teams play so far. Basing anything on any factor other then the play we have seen thus far is speculation.

All these "it's only x games in" or "there are stil x games left" arguments were used last year when the defense and Pk were horrible and we were winning games with our prolific offense. People were even saying it at the 40 game mark, that things would change....but they never did. This so far has been very similar, except we're not winning games.

I don't know. I think there are a couple different ways you can look at it. I mean I hear your argument, but I counter with the fact that Anderson stopped 48 of 49 shots, stealing the game and giving his team another win. Maybe that's why they are the most "dominant" team in the west - because they have a goalie who can stop 48 of 49.

Can you friggin imagine if the Wings let 49 shots go on Howard, or Ozzie for that matter? I get the shakes thinking about it.

No question there-- along with Bryzgalov, Anderson is the best goalie in the NHL so far this season.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

I agree with you...BUT.....(and here me out)

You can usually tell how good a movie is gonna be 15 minutes in......right? were not looking good and based on what we have seen, We are wondering what, and when things are gonna change...... Hopefully before the Trade deadline.....if this keeps up we wont need help then!

Defensively, Ericsson looks like a rookie d-man out there. That's why putting him with Lebda leads to a s***-show-- Lebda looks like a rookie out there too.

This is what you expect from a young d-man in his first full NHL season, regardless of how talented he is or how well he played before entering the NHL, defense is incredibly hard to ease into at the NHL level. That being said, he still shows flashes out there-- it's not like he looks like he's going to be a poor defensive d-man. He's been a big part of the PK success lately.

Oh, for sure. Just saying a lot of people are blaming ONLY Lebda for mistakes made on D when it's been BOTH of them.

I fully expected E to play like a rookie; he had literally an amazing playoffs last year, and this is more in line with the kind of play you expect from rookie defensemen.

I think, though, that he should be playing with Lidstrom, Rafalski, or Kronwall; he need a guy that's experienced working with him, not the fifth-year rookie defenseman.

No question there-- along with Bryzgalov, Anderson is the best goalie in the NHL so far this season.

Mason and Conklin from way back at the start of the month also made some critical game-saving stops that sparked the Blues' rally in those games as well.

The Wings need some s***ty goalies like Huet to come back into town to get these guys some confidence. :lol:

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

The Wings outplayed and toyed with the Avs the whole night, but only Anderson was the reason why the Wings didnt win . If we play like this in the future we are going to win our share of games.

And we are still looking for a goaltender. Howard did play well but the second fluke goal was a killer...and its one too many !