• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

favourite player growing up...

Rate this topic

Hockey: Steve Yzerman and Darren McCarty

Baseball: Lou Whitaker and Bobby Higginson

Football: Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith (Sorry fellow Lions fans, but other than Barry, who was there to cheer for?)

Basketball: Isiah Thomas, Ben Wallace, and Chauncey Billups

Edited by Barrie

I like your choice of the Iron Man. His streak is one that will absolutely never be broken. He was such a classy and clean player and one of the best at shortstop ever. :thumbup:

I always thought that Yzerman and Ripken were too very similar people and players and they both handled themselves and their careers in much the same way.

It is kind of ironic to note that Ripken was more successful early on (and played better D early on) while Yzerman was better offensively early on and committed himself to defense when Scotty got a hold of him.

But both of them were revered more for how they played the game and how they led their teams and team mates than anything else.

I loved Fedorov, Shanahan and Yzerman, of course. Shanahan was the first hockey poster I ever put up on my wall.

I also remember making my mom buy me my first jersey- Fedorov. The only size the store had in his jersey was XL and it was huge on me (still is) but I didn't care and made her purchase it immediately. She tried to convince me to wait and told me we could look somewhere else for a smaller size but I needed it right then. I did not have any patience as an 11 year old (I still don't). It's all old and worn and still huge but I continue to wear it around the house because I have so many memories with it.

This is a really happy topic. I like it. :)

great post!

and thanks! i wasnt sure if it had been brought up before or not...

well, since we're mentioning other sports:

Baseball: 80's - Tom Brookens; 90's - Cecil Fielder; 00's - Magglio

Football: 80's - Drew Pearson; 90's - Barry 00's - Nobody

Basketball: 80's - Dennis Rodman (Pistons version;) Basketball has sucked since 1992 so no others...

Golf - Is that a sport?

Favorite NON-Red Wing - Joe Sakic

Edited by LeftWinger

Hockey: Steve Yzerman

Baseball: Don Mattingly

Football: none, I don't watch it

Basketball: I grew up in Chicago, so who do you think? Once Jordan left the Bulls, I stopped watching the sport. I couldn't even tell you who won the NBA Finals this season.

I like this "all sport" trend...

Hockey - Shanahan, Yzerman, McCarty

Football - Barry Sanders, Todd Heap

Baseball - Magglio Ordonez

Basketball - Grant Hill

Hockey: Steve Yzerman

Baseball: Don Mattingly

Football: none, I don't watch it

Basketball: I grew up in Chicago, so who do you think? Once Jordan left the Bulls, I stopped watching the sport. I couldn't even tell you who won the NBA Finals this season.

If you turned on a TV all summer, you would know the Lakers won it... The media was on that like white on rice.

If you turned on a TV all summer, you would know the Lakers won it... The media was on that like white on rice.

I watch plenty of TV. However none of the TV I watch would be discussing that. I don't watch ESPN or any of its subsidiary networks anymore, so unless MLB Network was suddenly going to talk about the Lakers, I'd have no way of knowing what they did or did not do. I follow baseball and hockey, that's it. Unless what I'm watching sports-wise talks about either of those sports, I'm not interested.

Hockey: Without question my fav was/is/and always will be Stevie Yzerman... and in net either Pelle Lindbergh or Grant Fuhr

Baseball: Who watches baseball in Canada?!

Football: Peyton Manning

Basketball: Michael Jordan

Edited by The Secret

I had an insane crush on Jeff Chadwick. In fact, I had hamsters named Jeff and Barry, but Barry turned out to be a girl, so she was re-named Berry and placed in a separate cage.

Never followed baseball or basketball.

Art Baggotti :thumbup:;)

Hockey: Without question my fav was/is/and always will be Stevie Yzerman... and in net either Pelle Lindbergh or Grant Fuhr

i happen to love baseball!

favourite player/ player i most respected was cal ripkin....dont ever think his record of consecutive games/ innings will ever get broken..and just hands down a great player...

basketball: no question michael jordan

football: this ones a tough one..i would have to say barry sanders...simply cause h e was a fan favourite around here in his years with the lions...it still buggles my mind why all of a sudden he retired...he was doing so well and almost broke walter paytons career rushing yard record ...

I still wear a Montreal Expos baseball cap lol.

Football - Didn't follow football seriously until 2003, so no can do

Baseball - See above

Basketball - See above

:cool:

All Red Wings, all the time growing up. Didn't know jack s*** about any of the other Detroit sports teams until I moved back here before high school in 2003.

Hockey: Steve Yzerman. Henrik Zetterberg and Chris Osgood for active players.

Baseball: Alan Trammell. Brandon Inge and Jason Verlander for actives.

Football: Barry Sanders. Jeff Backus and Jason Hanson for actives.

Basketball: Isaiah Thomas. Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince for actives.

I have always been into the tough guys. Probie, Kocur, Shanny (sort-of), and Mac.

Ofcourse I love the Y but thats what it has been for me. With so many years w/o a tough guy I fell in love with the two way skill of Pasha. Then he whopped Roberts ass in '08 and that was all I needed.

My tough guy Dats!