• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedwingsPwn

Ye Olde Dilemna: Williams over Prosal

Rate this topic

I remember when we signed Williams and then Prosal got signed by New York. A lot of people were sayin it was an epic fail not signing Prospal, and getting Williams. Seeing that their salaries are about the same it was even more puzzling. Now seeing Prospal tear it up this season with 4 G 11 A (includes the 1 G. 1 A in tonight's game so far), I am sad we didn't somehow get him instead.

Guest mindfly

All rangers signing are good, Prospal, Gaborik, even Kotalik is a good upgrad from Zherdev... and they got good rookies/prospects in Anisimov and Del zotto... but wings got Abdelgatorrrrrr and durren heeelm :P FEAR.

I remember when we signed Williams and then Prosal got signed by New York. A lot of people were sayin it was an epic fail not signing Prospal, and getting Williams. Seeing that their salaries are about the same it was even more puzzling. Now seeing Prospal tear it up this season with 4 G 11 A (includes the 1 G. 1 A in tonight's game so far), I am sad we didn't somehow get him instead.

Williams hasn't been that bad. Not great, but far from terrible. Then again, it's hard to be that bad when people completely overdramatize how bad he is.

Williams hasn't been that bad. Not great, but far from terrible. Then again, it's hard to be that bad when people completely overdramatize how bad he is.

Oh, I'm not saying he's been bad either. I'm just saying that its unfortunate (for us) that Prospal has been really good, outplaying any of our players (statistically). I know Williams and Prospal were both signed as secondary scoring so I shouldn't be expecting Williams to put up those numbers, nor for Prospal to be really doing that well (it's a surprise), but it sucks that we didn't get the better of two goods.

There is only one reason why Prospal didn't come here (and Fedorov for that matter at the 2008 trade deadline) and its the same reason Shanahan left and Yzerman retired a year earlier than he wanted to.....

Mike Babcock....

Yeah, if only the Wings had traded for Fedorov in '08. They probably would've won the Cup!

Oh, I'm not saying he's been bad either. I'm just saying that its unfortunate (for us) that Prospal has been really good, outplaying any of our players (statistically). I know Williams and Prospal were both signed as secondary scoring so I shouldn't be expecting Williams to put up those numbers, nor for Prospal to be really doing that well (it's a surprise), but it sucks that we didn't get the better of two goods.

I know it's hard to do, but you are better off not comparing two separate people on two separate teams. The dynamics are completely different from team to team and there is no guarantee whatsoever that Prospal would have prospered here for any stretch.

Yeah, if only the Wings had traded for Fedorov in '08. They probably would've won the Cup!

I know, I know, but he was rumored to be coming here, and the other rumor was somebody within the organization didn't want him here. (Babcock)

In hindsight, the fact that Columbus wanted Filppula in return was enough to say no thanks...

I love how some people act as if free agent signings are completely up to the team. Let's see, Prospal can play on a team's first line or he can play on a second/third line. He can play in New York(one of the most beloved cities in the world) or he can play in Detroit(nuf said). He can play on an offense first type team or he can play on a team that requires defensive responsibility.

Another important note: Just because he's flourishing in New York, doesn't mean that he would do the same here.

Prospal plays with Gaborik, Williams is on our 3rd line. There's a bit of a difference there.

Along with the fact that Prospal didn''t get along with Babcock in Anaheim, remember that Prospal had some of his best seasons under John Torterella in Tampa.

This just about sums it up. If Williams was on a line with Gaborik, he would have a good chance of putting up similar numbers.

Along with the fact that Prospal didn''t get along with Babcock in Anaheim, remember that Prospal had some of his best seasons under John Torterella in Tampa.

Yep. This along with the fact that he gets a bigger role in New York and that it's a better city probably had SOMETHING to do with his decision.

Some people play too much NHL10 and forget that there are a lot of different things that go into a player's decision on where to go.

Guest mindfly

Why did wings pick Ferrarro over O'Reily?? Beats me...

Why did wings put Quicey on waivers instead of Meech/Lebda? Beats me...

Why did wings sign Williams instead of Prospal... Beats me

It's f*cked up...

Why did wings pick Ferrarro over O'Reily?? Beats me...

Why did wings put Quicey on waivers instead of Meech/Lebda? Beats me...

Why did wings sign Williams instead of Prospal... Beats me

It's f*cked up...

O'Reilly would be in the exact same position with Ferraro in the Wings' organization, Quincey failed to win a place in the lineup and who knows why Williams was signed instead of Prospal, maybe Prospal didn't want to sign with the Wings etc? It's not so black and white.

Your logic is f*cked up. " :thumbup: "

Edited by FinWing

It's funny how many people where crying over the fact that Williams was signed instead of Prospal in the offseason, and once a month has passed people actually start rationalizing and not being "FAIL HOLLAND, FAIL OFFSEASON, PROSPAL>>>>WILLIAMS".

I love this board.

Guest mindfly

O'reily with his skillz&speed is better than just about every 3rd and 4th liner on this team, he's a solid 2-way player who should've had a spot on the wings if it was just based on how good you are, then again wings are all about "EXPERIENCE" overplay them in the MIGHTY GRAND RAPIDS... yuck

Edited by mindfly