• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Panic

Rate this topic

There has been a lot of panic from our fan base and also the media so far this season. But really? Why? Because we arent 8-1?

Remember fellas, this is a team that has been to back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals, saw some significant changes in the offseason, and also lost one of their top 3 forwards in Johan Franzen for four months. A slow start should be expected. Moreover, the core of this team is still intact, and still is very solid. This team is still built for the playoffs. This team should not be ignored.

Understand that we will get Johan Franzen. This team will make a move or two at the deadline. Pavel Datsyuk will start racking up points.

Also keep in mind that the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins were 24-28 through 52 games last season, (counting their OTLs as Ls). The Anaheim Ducks, an 8 seed, if not for a game 7 loss to the Red Wings, would have walked through Chicago and gave Pittsburgh a very strong fight.

Its a long season fellas. Do you really think teams like LA or Colorado would beat us in a seven game series? Get real. We are just fine.

Guest mindfly
There has been a lot of panic from our fan base and also the media so far this season. But really? Why? Because we arent 8-1?

Remember fellas, this is a team that has been to back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals, saw some significant changes in the offseason, and also lost one of their top 3 forwards in Johan Franzen for four months. A slow start should be expected. Moreover, the core of this team is still intact, and still is very solid. This team is still built for the playoffs. This team should not be ignored.

Understand that we will get Johan Franzen. This team will make a move or two at the deadline. Pavel Datsyuk will start racking up points.

Also keep in mind that the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins were 24-28 through 52 games last season, (counting their OTLs as Ls). The Anaheim Ducks, an 8 seed, if not for a game 7 loss to the Red Wings, would have walked through Chicago and gave Pittsburgh a very strong fight.

Its a long season fellas. Do you really think teams like LA or Colorado would beat us in a seven game series? Get real. We are just fine.

Uhm, yeah in late february banged up and out of shape etc, oh yeah how do you know they will make moves on the deadline, the last real move was brad stuart that was 2 years ago...

Uhm, yeah in late february banged up and out of shape etc, oh yeah how do you know they will make moves on the deadline, the last real move was brad stuart that was 2 years ago...

It's called speculation. All the negative crap that gets posted here, a lot from you, and you are going to jump on someone putting a positive spin on the season? Get a life. I agree with the OP. Yes, we have a long way to go in terms of making the playoffs. You can also say "We have a long way to go before the playoffs" and mean that there is time to pick up our game and get this ball rolling. That's the way I'm looking at it. If all you have is negative s*** to say, I would be just fine if you kept it to yourself.

Making a move at the deadline is what I'm scared of. Like you said, and like we said, and like Holland said, this is a transition year. Why invest our future in getting a stronger chance at the Cup in a transition year, when we can wait until next year and have a more legitimate opportunity with more room to wiggle?

People wouldn't be in such an uproar if we were above .500. The main problem is the way we look out there. We are blowing leads and playing horrid defence. People didn't mind the horrid defence when we had a hig powered offence but now we lack that. Even if the offence is just haveing a slow start we aren't making up those lost goals with Bert and Williams and we should have been prepared for this. Most people aren't ready to see the Wings as mediocre.

I agree with most of what you say. We've lost a lot of pieces since last year, and not really replaced them. We're banged up. We're losing a step here and there. We're not going to win the President's Cup, or probably our division. But we will make the playoffs, and nobody is going to want to play us. We have the skill, the experience, the pride, and a playoff goalie that can still carry us a long a way. I think the Anaheim analogy is apt ... we're in a similar boat this year.

The only thing I question is the trade deadline deal ... I don't think we'll see much unless it strengthens us in the future. We lost too many assets last summer, I'm not sure we can afford to give up much for a rental, particularly when we're not Cup favorites. We're better off to do what we can with what we've got this year, and then see what the free agent market brings next summer when we can bring in players without losing any.

People wouldn't be in such an uproar if we were above .500. The main problem is the way we look out there. We are blowing leads and playing horrid defence. People didn't mind the horrid defence when we had a hig powered offence but now we lack that. Even if the offence is just haveing a slow start we aren't making up those lost goals with Bert and Williams and we should have been prepared for this. Most people aren't ready to see the Wings as mediocre.

Nicely stated... :thumbup:

Yes we are used to winning. But this is a team that has had Defensive breakdowns and has blown way to many leads in those 9 games....

How are we supposed to react when our team that WAS apart of 2 Stanley Cup Finals is now looking like a team not capable of being in a playoff series. ( And before all you maniacs start in.... I am not writing them off)

This is a team and a organization that used the term..."Not Red Wing Like". and This display of hockey from the start of the season.....until this day ( October 27th 2009) has NOT been very "Red Wing Like"

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Well, I guess the Avs are up 2 games to none, what are our chances now?

its only a few games, Wings can still rebound... I am surprised only after a few games people are giving up on the season. I hope that's not the case in the wings locker room

I guess I just see this for what it is, a early season slump. The most important thing is that we focus on getting healthy because we still have a lot of talent on this team. Currently we're seven points out of third place with two games in hand. That is very manageable.

And some of you are right, this may not be a team that wins the presidents trophy, or even wins the division. However, if healthy, we still have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, and Cleary who are familiar with being top 6 forwards on teams that had two SCF runs. We still have a solid defense, and a goalie that seems to find his game when it matters most, and a conn smythe candidate in back to back playoffs.

I still see this team as a cup contender.

Guest Crymson

Mr. Negative, I'm still waiting on your answer in this thread.

Unfortunately people forget that in a lengthy season, teams both good and bad will typically have dry spells. Knee jerk reacting is more popular and common than keeping things in an overall perspective typically.