• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sureWhyNot

Ozzie's Painted Mask - 05/06 Season - Never Game Worn

Rate this topic

First off, if this is old and repetitive I apologize. I haven't seen it up here on the boards, but who knows, I could very well have missed it.

OK, with that said - Earlier I was reading reading through the Snapshots blog on Mlive and saw the new article about Sawchuck's goalie mask. Towards the end of the article they mention Ozzie once had a mask painted but never wore it in a game because he didn't like the fit.

Anyways, I do remember hearing about this back when it happened but I had never seen the actual mask (again, if I was just out to lunch and this is yawn material, I apologize) so I decided to see if I could find what it looked like.

Here are some pics, with a write up from the website I found it included below:

This mask was painted by Dave Gunnarsson of DaveArt specifically for Chris Osgood. When Chris Osgood decided not to use this mask, Dave later painted a very similar style for Stefan Liv who is now in the Detroit Red Wings system. Dave's American representative Karl, who lives in Detroit, helped out with the creation of the design. Read Bottom of this Page for More Details on this Mask

Side View: Detroit Industry - Man and Machine Mural

osgood_mask_4.jpg

Close up of Production Line Red Wings:

osgood_mask_5.jpg

Front View:

osgood_mask_3.jpg

Detroit Industry - Man and Machine Mural

osgood_mask_1.jpg

Back of Mask:

osgood_mask_6.jpg

"The design is painted in classic colors, Detroit-red with contrast-rich white details. On one side, Dave created a motif painting in dreamy style, with Detroit's legendary scoring line known as the Production-line with the players Gordie Howe, Sid Abel and Ted Lindsay. The players whirl around, ready for new goals!

On the other side of the mask is another famous production line from Detroit, from the fantastic car industry of Detroit! David has painted a tribute painting to the Mexican artist Diego Rivera's fantastic mural Detroit Industry or Man and Machine that can be seen in Detroit and was painted 1932-1933.

All of this has been tied together with the help of Detroit's magic red tone, and the so beautiful logotype with the wing and the car wheel inspired by the city's car industry. Symbolism and all the elements have been tied together to a magic whole. A design that celebrates Detroit both as an industry town and hockeytown - there's a reason why Detroit is called the Hockeytown."

To check out more pictures do so here.

Here's another one, the photo is copyrighted at 07-08, kind of neat how osgood had two masks done and painted and never wore any of them.

osgoodmask.jpg

This one is done by bishop designs...they did hasek's masks, and jimmy howards, manny legace's. Also they've done a bunch of penguins guys, kind of ironic how they mainly do detroit and pittsburgh...or not

Pretty neat find - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

If I remember correctly - didn't Ozzie have a modern style mask that he tried out, but never wore?...Was some time ago - say 10 plus years ago.

Yes. He tried it out in practice but never really liked it. Hodson or Maracle (can't remember which one) ended up wearing the mask.

I actually like osgood's unpainted/old mask. I think it's kind of a play on the heritage and tradition that goes along with the red wings jersey and the winged wheel. I'm not a fan of complicated paint jobs on masks, especially if it involves the red wings. I think the more simple the mask, the better.

Yes. He tried it out in practice but never really liked it. Hodson or Maracle (can't remember which one) ended up wearing the mask.

Then it must have been repainted? I'm sure I remember a picture of a modern mask for him, and it featured a wizard. (Wizard of Oz)

I like the art work, but I don't like the rounded style helmet... The shape just looks absolutely hideous. If they were able to make the shape of the helmet look a little more, you know, easy on the eyes... Then I'd be all for Ozzy wearing it.

Funny. You'd think that you would try a mask out before deciding to have it painted.

I agree, but it's possible that companies painted a mask without his discretion.