• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

What can Lidstrom do to fire up the boys?

Rate this topic

Much of the discussion here about the Wings' poor start has revolved around goaltending, potential coaching changes, individual lack of effort, Babcock starting to bring down the hammer, and obviously injuries. A lot of things have been brought up, but I'm surprised that no one has even suggested that Lidstrom provide some benefit with his leadership, much less question him. I understand he is infallible, and as a calm cool defenseman he isn't necessarily in the position to carry the team on his back, but surely there must be something he could add to the equation. Somehow I don't see him cracking skulls in the locker room. Shouldn't the captain be who the guys look to in times like these?

**for the record I have the most respect for him out of all the current Wings

Lidstrom isn't exactly Scott Stevens

Well, that's precisely the point. It's not as if a nifty takeaway has the same motivating effect as a bonecrushing hit. It's also unlikely that he is going to take the puck end to end, make a strong move to the outside of the defenseman, drive the net strong and barrel over a goalie for a goal. So given that his on-ice play, steady as it is, can't do a ton to light a fire under everyone's collective ass, is there more that can be done off the ice? We don't know what goes on behind the closed doors, but isn't it time to get a little pissed? Leino is being benched for what appears to be essentially motivational purposes, and he isn't the first. Is motivating and integrating the new guys solely the responsibility of the coaching staff?

***edited for grammer

Edited by kook_10

Guest mindfly

In an interview he had back in the swedeng ames he said it was mostly babcock who was the angry man lighting the fire under everyone's ass... while lidstrom is, or atleast have been the guy who leads by example on the ice much like yzerman

Much of the discussion here about the Wings' poor start has revolved around goaltending, potential coaching changes, individual lack of effort, Babcock starting to bring down the hammer, and obviously injuries. A lot of things have been brought up, but I'm surprised that no one has even suggested that Lidstrom provide some benefit with his leadership, much less question him. I understand he is infallible, and as a calm cool defenseman he isn't necessarily in the position to carry the team on his back, but surely there must be something he could add to the equation. Somehow I don't see him cracking skulls in the locker room. Shouldn't the captain be who the guys look to in times like these?

**for the record I have the most respect for him out of all the current Wings

There was an entire thread devoted to this yesterday. It appears to have been removed so you can probably guess what ensued. Tread carefully here.

How do you know he's not motivating the team? How do you know he's not part of the reason the Wings rallied the last two games. Unless you're in the locker room or Nick holds a press conference to let you know what speech he's planning between the 2nd and 3rd none of us know.

/thread

I think that Lidstrom leads by example and I think he could pick up his game as well. The whole defence looks lazy to me. Lidstrom and the rest of the leaders are not setting much of an example for the rookies and it is showing in their play. Ericsson is starting to get some of Lebda's bad habits of pinching up on every play. And the list goes on and on.

Lidstrom is not all of the problem but he needs to be part of the solution.

Guest micah

When you're playing like the best player in the world, maybe that's all you need to do to motivate. Lidstrom isn't doing that any more, so I hope he starts tearing into underperformers once in a while. His cool, calm collected thing hasn't been sufficient to motivate the troops thus far this year, time to try something else.

Guest mindfly

Atleast I want to believe he will get better and better through out the year, all veterans are slow starters, he'll rack up the numbers at xmas and further...I'm sure.

honestly, in terms of the players attitudes toward one another, i dont think its time to start cracking skulls just yet. its not simply a lack of effort. obviously injuries are hurting us and theres nothing you can do about that. the bigger problem is that we arent finishing. if we were converting more, the majority of threads would be talking about how "we arent playing particularly well but we're winning so who cares as long as we fix it before the playoffs."

if we can just focus on taking advantage of the opportunities we get we'll start seeing a lot of these one goal losses turn into one goal wins. SPECIFICALLY ON THE POWER PLAY!!! we could have an extra goal a game at the very least if we would just start capitalizing.

when your snake-bitten offensively, everything gets put under the microscope and confidence is at a premium...... so i dont think we need a Maury Povich drill sergeant quite yet

When you're playing like the best player in the world, maybe that's all you need to do to motivate. Lidstrom isn't doing that any more, so I hope he starts tearing into underperformers once in a while.

You realize you are saying that because he isn't playing as well, he needs to ream other people who aren't playing as well. Seems hypocritical, no?

honestly, in terms of the players attitudes toward one another, i dont think its time to start cracking skulls just yet. its not simply a lack of effort. obviously injuries are hurting us and theres nothing you can do about that. the bigger problem is that we arent finishing. if we were converting more, the majority of threads would be talking about how "we arent playing particularly well but we're winning so who cares as long as we fix it before the playoffs."

if we can just focus on taking advantage of the opportunities we get we'll start seeing a lot of these one goal losses turn into one goal wins. SPECIFICALLY ON THE POWER PLAY!!! we could have an extra goal a game at the very least if we would just start capitalizing.

when your snake-bitten offensively, everything gets put under the microscope and confidence is at a premium...... so i dont think we need a Maury Povich drill sergeant quite yet

10 goals in 2 games... thats not too snake bitten i think. And it seems the problem recently is not starting games and digging holes we have to get out of the rest of the game, not finishing... we just have to play 60 MINUTES, thats it.

And what would you like a 39 year old grown man to say to other grown men? I'm not exactly sure what it is you think Nick should do, short of smacking people around with his hockey stick and turning into Bobby Knight. He could walk up to each of them and say "you're special, we love you, play with heart" or he could say "$%^@ you, you stupid mother#$@$ers, play like your $%^@$ are on fire" and unless they want to......they won't. Doesn't matter what he says.

And what would you like a 39 year old grown man to say to other grown men? I'm not exactly sure what it is you think Nick should do, short of smacking people around with his hockey stick and turning into Bobby Knight. He could walk up to each of them and say "you're special, we love you, play with heart" or he could say "$%^@ you, you stupid mother#$@$ers, play like your $%^@$ are on fire" and unless they want to......they won't. Doesn't matter what he says.

if a captain has no influence/impact on his teammates/team, then what's the point of a captain?

if a captain has no influence/impact on his teammates/team, then what's the point of a captain?

Obviously the Captain has a role, but I think people overestimate it. Lidstrom is not the only leader on the team, and it's not like the other guys on the team are 10-year olds who need Lidstrom to tell them what to do and how to do it. What should he do? Punch Lebda in the face? Explain to Ozzie what the "five-hole" is? Yell at everyone for not scoring on their chances?

Show them this video?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Lidstrom's record as a Captain is impeccable, so I think it's ridiculous that he's being questioned because of a 10-game stretch where a Wings team with a ton of new players and some key ones injured easily could have won 6-7 games with a bit of luck. THIS IS NOT LIDSTROM'S FAULT. Let's atleast wait until the first time he doesn't take this team to the Conference Finals before we start asking if he's the right guy to be Captain of this team.

According to International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) and National Hockey League (NHL) rules, the only player allowed to speak with referees about rule interpretations is the captain, or, if the captain is not on the ice, an alternate captain.

;)

For the record I don't agree that the captain has zero influence on his squad, but I don't think Electrophile believes that either.

I think Doc summed up what I was going to say but as an addendum, we don't know what goes in their locker room before, after and during games. Nick is a captain very much the way Steve was; quiet and leading by example. He is not a brash, in-your-face person but that doesn't mean he doesn't give a damn either. For all we know, they could be scared of him or something.

Again I ask though, what is it people think he should be doing that he is not doing? Publicly calling people out? Getting in their faces on the ice, with cameras present? I mean, do we want someone who handles adversity with some tact or do we want an unrepentant *******?

I think Doc summed up what I was going to say but as an addendum, we don't know what goes in their locker room before, after and during games. Nick is a captain very much the way Steve was; quiet and leading by example. He is not a brash, in-your-face person but that doesn't mean he doesn't give a damn either. For all we know, they could be scared of him or something.

Again I ask though, what is it people think he should be doing that he is not doing? Publicly calling people out? Getting in their faces on the ice, with cameras present? I mean, do we want someone who handles adversity with some tact or do we want an unrepentant *******?

i agree that we can't know what is going on behind doors, as such, we can't really surmise as to how lids could do things differently. i by no means think lidstrom is solely to blame for the wings' play this year and last (our problems have been the same since the beginning of last year, we just had the offense then to make up for it).

it will take a concerted effort to right this ship. that said, lids is this team's leader, he shoulders a good deal of the burden. however he is leading this team right now isn't as effective perhaps as it should be. obviously things aren't going very well, lids is and should be under pressure to change what isn't working in terms of leadership.

he is only part of the answer. i'm honestly not too worried about the wings. i think they are in search of an identity, i think there is a lot of will in that locker room, but i think there is just as much confusion right now. the team needs to find direction/cohesion. the coaching staff is a big part of that. so is lidstrom. so is everybody.

they'll find their way.

Edited by datsyukismyfriend

I started a similar thread yesterday and it was removed w/o a word as to why. So I expect this one to have the same fate. But I feel that nic needs to be more of a hardass.

If the mod who killed my thread w/o an explaination would let me know what there problem is that'd be nice too.