• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Future in net currently residing in Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

While the Wings are struggling to get too many good showings from either goaltender right now, I don’t think we should peruse a trade. I honestly think that our future in net lies in the pair we have occupying the crease in Grand Rapids, Daniel Larsson and Thomas McCollum. Extremely talented pair and after each had early struggles this season, both have responded very well.

Larsson is 23 and in the SEL in 2007-08 he was third in league in save percentage (.921), third in goals against (2.29) and second in shutouts (six). In the AHL last season he recorded 5 shutouts (3rd) and made the All-Star team. He’s capable of hot streaks and has terrific temperament.

Thomas McCollum is the one though. Still only 19, last season in the OHL he led OHL in shutouts (7), second in GAA (2.11), second in wins (34) and second in Sv% (.927). Whenever he's in net I have such confidence in his ability to get the job done.

Both had a few early hiccups for the Griffins this season but over the last four games:

Larsson 74 saves on 75 shots. McCollum 53 saves on 57 shots.

Larsson.jpg

medium_081004-ap-thomas-mccollum-poses-nhl-draft-red-wings.jpg

Not long now folks... :thumbup:

ive never been able to see either one of them play. whats their style? is there an NHL goalie you could compare them to in terms of where they might end up skill wise?

ive never been able to see either one of them play. whats their style? is there an NHL goalie you could compare them to in terms of where they might end up skill wise?

Thomas McCollum says he plays like Roberto Loungo.

Yeah chances are good that atleast one of these guys will turn into a solid NHL starter. I have no doubts that Larssson could step into Howard's place right now and do atleast as good as him, probably better.

Great, let's call up Larson and McCollum and give them a lookie for 5-6 games.

Send Ozzie and Howard down to Grand Rapids.

Uh....send Ozzie down? ahahahaha....

Howard though, send him to russia for all I care.

Larsson should replace him in the next month or two.

Uh....send Ozzie down? ahahahaha....

Howard though, send him to russia for all I care.

Larsson should replace him in the next month or two.

Yeah, send Ozzy down. Well until playoffs of course because we all know that is the only time he actually plays good.

I think it's way too soon to tell.

Of course, both are talented goaltenders, but you really can't jump to conclusions yet.

As you Aussi mentioned, both have struggled.. and both bounced back. Good to know, but that's it.

Remember, James Howard was seen as the next franchise goaltender in Detroit, but was kept in GR for four years.

And more important: He's not on the team right now, because he's that good, but because there's no other option.

Yeah, send Ozzy down. Well until playoffs of course because we all know that is the only time he actually plays good.

Good idea. No chance a GM would claim a player that has won 29 playoff games in the last 2 years making less than $1.5m off waivers.

Good idea. No chance a GM would claim a player that has won 29 playoff games in the last 2 years making less than $1.5m off waivers.

I wasn't actually being that serious, Ozzy is good enough to keep the ship afloat in the reg. season.

Jimmy was playing college hockey at McCollum's age. So its hard to compare the 3 goalies' stats.

I've seen the three play in GR. Jimmy for 4 years, Larsson for 1 and McCollum for only a few games. Based on the few games, I'd say McCollum is one cool, collected kid. He was flooded by a much more active Aeros team last night, yet held them to one goal. With Larsson -except for a rare game here and there- has been pretty solid. Jimmy has more ups, but more downs too. My concern all along with him has been consistency. He needs a solid D in front of him to assist on many nights. I was hoping he'd find that with the Wings, but so far the Defense has been as spotty as his goaltending.

My money long term is on the younger two.

I truly belive that McCollum will be the Wings goalie of the Future. As for Larsson or Howard; once Ozzie retires than a decison is going to have to be made. I don't thinke McCollum will be ready just than to come up but when he is either Howard or Larsson may have to be traded or done something with. I agree the two guys in GR are the future of the Wings goaltenders and I think in time they will be great goalies. That brings up the question I had this past September.... How many more seasons can Larsson be sent down to GR? When is his two-way contract up?

I truly belive that McCollum will be the Wings goalie of the Future. As for Larsson or Howard; once Ozzie retires than a decison is going to have to be made. I don't thinke McCollum will be ready just than to come up but when he is either Howard or Larsson may have to be traded or done something with. I agree the two guys in GR are the future of the Wings goaltenders and I think in time they will be great goalies. That brings up the question I had this past September.... How many more seasons can Larsson be sent down to GR? When is his two-way contract up?

I could be wrong but I think his contract runs out at seasons end.

I'm a big Larsson fan. He's the real deal. McCollum is good right now, but we haven't seen him over the course of a full pro season. He looks real impressive but he's still a kid so who knows where he'll be in the future.

Like others have said-- both look like they're really promising future NHLers.

I'm a little drunk but if you're asking about waivers, then he should be exempt for a few more years. Waiver exemption is linked to when a contract was signed and at what age. This was in 2008 and I think he's 23 or now. 2-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver exemption or minor league status or anything else. 2WC's are only for salary purposes.

I think at least one of those two should be "rushed" in development. I think Howard was in the system too long. I admire the Wings' patience, but I think Larsson should be given a shot before he gets too old to learn new tricks, so to speak. Like someone mentioned, Larsson wouldn't be worse than Howard and Ozzie right now, but he might be better, and it's worth a look. Having him play a few games won't hurt his development any.