• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Four

OHL Hit

Rate this topic

Pronger physics.

The hitter should have let up and not gone for the head. I feel bad for the kid who got hit, I think this whole thing could have been avoided, but players known as being thugs or whatever are known for this and you should know whenever they are on the ice, just like teams do when Tootoo is on the ice and Ott and other similar players that play very physical.

I agree, older kids(16+) with a full cage can feel even more invincible out there and start developing bad habits.

exactly there are so many cheapshots in NCAA that occur because the cages give them too much security and they will recklessly throw their bodies around, and plus they can't fight. I still don't understand why college hockey is still used as development for the nhl, so many players that come out of that league end up being cheapshotting grinders or frequent concussion sufferers.

Guest E_S_A_D

Fanelli is still in Critical as of today, according to his Agent. He has yet to speak either. Very sad.

Has Ben Fanelli been speaking in hospital?

“No,†said Rob Hooper, the agent for the Kitchener Rangers rookie.

Fanelli, whose head slammed into a Zamboni entrance glass support at the Aud on Friday in just his seventh Ontario Hockey League game, remained in intensive care at Hamilton General on Monday.

Fanelli has skull and facial fractures. His condition did not change.

The 16-year-old form Oakville was critical, but stable.

No news was not the good news all had hoped for.

“We’d love to be able to give more positive information,†said Hooper, of Kitchener.

“There’s nothing that would make me feel better than to tell you right now that progress is happening at a torrid pace. But that would be inaccurate. Things are moving along very slowly.†http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html

Edited by E_S_A_D

Janik is still in Critical as of today, according to his Agent. He has yet to speak either. Very sad.

That's really sad to hear.

Hopefully he will be able to play in the future, and at least it looks like things are improving, albeit incredibly slowly.

full face shields are a bad idea in any major junior level, look at the disrespect in NCAA

Even so they could have still protected this poor lads face and head. Obviously "disrespect" is going to happen and does happen at every level. Making the kids wear full face shield while it won't prevent everything, will minimize a lot more.

Wow, tough love here on LGW.

The truth is though, as it always is - if this happened to a Wings player, you would all be calling for a year long suspension. Since its not, you guys all fall into the 'tough old time hockey guy mode' and call it a clean hit, and of course it was Fanelli's fault for putting himself in that position. It was CLEARLY boarding, hitting from behind, AND a head shot, not to mention he took about 5 strides from the blue line to make that hit. The kids skull is fractured, broken orbital bone, and a huge facial laceration. The kid may never play again, let alone want to play again. Liambus said himself that he was shaken up by the hit, and he shouldn't have done it.

Fanelli's mother and father were in the stands watching the game. Went Fanelli got hit, his mother fainted and had to be revived by paramedics.

Have you read anymore of my posts by any chance??

Have you read anymore of my posts by any chance??

Yeah sorry mate I shouldn't have singled you out - it wasn't intended towards you - it was the sentiment of that post and the feeling in the thread in general.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

As a defenseman I can honestly say the only problem I have with this hit is the kid putting himself in a bad spot.

I watched the video a bunch of times now, I think the 3rd clip pretty much seals it for me that there's nothing wrong with the hit per say.

They called boarding. And I can understand that. But I also understand physics.

The kid isn't moving much and he turns to his right. The hitter is coming in with good speed and hits him right smack in the in the side/back. I say back because he clearly gets him in the #1 of his jersey. Anyway, that's why there was such a violent whiplash effect to this hit. The kid is turning to his right when the hitter hits him on his left side, which just sped up his rotation and whipped his face into the glass.

There reaction some are having has everything to do with the result of the hit. And not so much the hit itself. The stills have been shown. Both of the hitters elbows are tucked into his sides. The poor kid was just turning and the force of the blow just whipped him face first into the glass.

I would argue that if the kid had not turned he'd have gotten a nice sandwhich into the boards with likely no problem. At least could've braced himself. And as it stands, had the hitter hit him squarely in the back, he probably would've been better off as I think he wouldn't have made such a violent spin into the boards.

The video shows his elbow tucked right into his side. That's indisputable. The stills show it. The poor kid is just in a bad position. Now we can argue if you should take advantage of that but as has been mentioned, hitter came in with alot of speed and kid turned at the last second, not much you can do to avoid that.

I don't see any problem with that hit. I've been lined up like that a million times. And you can bet your ass that I would not have been reversing that puck right there. People say he didn't see the guy or couldn't see the guy. Sorry, that's a coaching problem then. Going back for that puck he's got to know where the pressure could potentially be coming from. Going behind the net blind and/or turning your back to the blind area of the ice will get you waxed as is evident by this video.

In the end I have very little problem with this hit. And those who say he got his arm up. Oy vey, that's just embarassing. Get your vision checked at least.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

ps: I'm continually baffled by those who say he "went for his head". Actually no, he laid his shoulder into the guy. He got 99% left shoulder and back. The violent whiplash effect caused the poor kid to have no control over the fact that his face was about to plow into the glass.

There are a million clips of hockey "head shots" on youtube. This ain't one of 'em.

at the :06 mark of the clip... both players are inside the trapizoid AND the defender is just about to turn to face the boards... thats a little last second to be spinning away from an apparent check... i agree with GS&T

at the :06 mark of the clip... both players are inside the trapizoid AND the defender is just about to turn to face the boards... thats a little last second to be spinning away from an apparent check... i agree with GS&T

Same here. Very sorry the kid got hurt, but it wasn't a dirty play.

My eyes are dirty?

...Who the f*** are you?!

Did the kid put himself in a bad position? Yes of course he did.

Did the guy hitting him charge? Yes, I believe he did.

Did the guy hitting him, hit too high? Yes, I believe he did.

Did the guy hitting him try to slow down? No.

Did the guy hitting him show any remorse? Hell no, he pushes another guy other right after the hit.

Did an overage OHL player hit a 16 year old rookie with intention to hurt? I believe so.

It's people like you why I hate trying to debate on here. You are rude and cannot let people debate different sides, you have to resort to pointing fingers and accusing people of being wrong.

So if you already had your mind made up, why start the thread with scant evidence when you KNOW people are going to tell you otherwise? Just for the sake of arguing?

Guest Four
So if you already had your mind made up, why start the thread with scant evidence when you KNOW people are going to tell you otherwise? Just for the sake of arguing?

Typical troll on the forum.

No, I posted so people would wish Fanelli a speedy recovery, but you disrespectful people turned it into a stupid argument. This forum lacks decency when they have to argue over a hit when a guy in is critical condition. Shame on you.

No, I posted so people would wish Fanelli a speedy recovery, but you disrespectful people turned it into a stupid argument. This forum lacks decency when they have to argue over a hit when a guy in is critical condition. Shame on you.

You brought bias into by calling it a dirty hit.

As a defenseman I can honestly say the only problem I have with this hit is the kid putting himself in a bad spot.

I watched the video a bunch of times now, I think the 3rd clip pretty much seals it for me that there's nothing wrong with the hit per say.

They called boarding. And I can understand that. But I also understand physics.

The kid isn't moving much and he turns to his right. The hitter is coming in with good speed and hits him right smack in the in the side/back. I say back because he clearly gets him in the #1 of his jersey. Anyway, that's why there was such a violent whiplash effect to this hit. The kid is turning to his right when the hitter hits him on his left side, which just sped up his rotation and whipped his face into the glass.

There reaction some are having has everything to do with the result of the hit. And not so much the hit itself. The stills have been shown. Both of the hitters elbows are tucked into his sides. The poor kid was just turning and the force of the blow just whipped him face first into the glass.

I would argue that if the kid had not turned he'd have gotten a nice sandwhich into the boards with likely no problem. At least could've braced himself. And as it stands, had the hitter hit him squarely in the back, he probably would've been better off as I think he wouldn't have made such a violent spin into the boards.

The video shows his elbow tucked right into his side. That's indisputable. The stills show it. The poor kid is just in a bad position. Now we can argue if you should take advantage of that but as has been mentioned, hitter came in with alot of speed and kid turned at the last second, not much you can do to avoid that.

I don't see any problem with that hit. I've been lined up like that a million times. And you can bet your ass that I would not have been reversing that puck right there. People say he didn't see the guy or couldn't see the guy. Sorry, that's a coaching problem then. Going back for that puck he's got to know where the pressure could potentially be coming from. Going behind the net blind and/or turning your back to the blind area of the ice will get you waxed as is evident by this video.

In the end I have very little problem with this hit. And those who say he got his arm up. Oy vey, that's just embarassing. Get your vision checked at least.

You brought bias into by calling it a dirty hit.

:thumbup:

Most have wished Fanelli a speedy recovery, most of those did it several times. It turned into a stupid argument when you chose not to see your error, and then whined about being "accused of being wrong", whatever the f*** that means. Are we disrespectful because we did not agree with you, or because we had the audacity to call you out on your glaring omission of, what most of us call "facts". This forum lacks decency when people state opinions as facts and then won't admit they made a mistake.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Fanelli. Or at least a recovery, speedy or not.

Typical head-up-his-ass-who-doesn't-see-the-flaw-in-his-logic poster.

look at my first post, which both questioned your obvious bias AND hoped the kid was ok (which I know how he's in critical condition, which sucks).

The problems are on your end, not on me being a "typical forum troll". If you don't want to get questioned when you make threads like this, don't make the stupid thread.

Guest Four

It was a dirty hit.

All you wannabe hockey players can pretend it wasn't, but there was clearly intention to hurt the guy when he charges from the blueline. The OHL is used for developing players, not destroying players. So you guys can go on and on and on and on and on and say how you have proof it wasn't a dirty hit because there was "no elbow", but that's not even the issue. Both players are at fault, and it was a dirty hit for an overaged OHL player to make on an underaged OHL player trying to develop into an NHL player. And you can go on about how he will learn from this, but f*** no, he wont. What's he going to learn after he won't be able to play hockey again? I hope someone you know has this happen to you and watch all of you become hypocrites. If this happened to Lidstrom or Datsyuk, you'd call foul and say the intent was dirty too. I hope none of you posting here claiming this wasn't dirty think that Lapierre's hit on Lidstrom was dirty.

It was a dirty hit.

All you wannabe hockey players can pretend it wasn't, but there was clearly intention to hurt the guy when he charges from the blueline. The OHL is used for developing players, not destroying players. So you guys can go on and on and on and on and on and say how you have proof it wasn't a dirty hit because there was "no elbow", but that's not even the issue. Both players are at fault, and it was a dirty hit for an overaged OHL player to make on an underaged OHL player trying to develop into an NHL player. And you can go on about how he will learn from this, but f*** no, he wont. What's he going to learn after he won't be able to play hockey again? I hope someone you know has this happen to you and watch all of you become hypocrites. If this happened to Lidstrom or Datsyuk, you'd call foul and say the intent was dirty too. I hope none of you posting here claiming this wasn't dirty think that Lapierre's hit on Lidstrom was dirty.

We get it, you hate the hit...

It was a dirty hit.

Wannabe hockey players? I'll bet you don't know jack s*** about anybody's hockey experience or lack thereof. You say there was clearly intention to hurt, but state that we claim we have proof there wasn't. You were the one who posted a frame from the video with Liambas in the convenient position of having his elbow on the glass. Also, I don't think every player has the opportunity to check all the stats and ages of the guys who are on the ice at any given time.

In reference to the part of your post that I've bolded: that's pretty classless, and the ultimate in douchebaggery. I, on the other hand, hope nobody goes through something like this. Whether I know them or not.

Edited by Hack & Whack Rule!

From the very start of the reporting of this play, most of the media has described it in terms of "overage Erie Otter player Michael Liambas" and "16-year-old Kitchener Ranger Ben Fanelli". I picked up the sense that the media was saying the following: an older, more experienced player wouldn't leave himself in a vulnerable position like that. Of all the suspension hearing decisions Mr. Branch has had to deal with, this is one of the toughest.

That's easy to say on a message board. But when you see the family of a teen who is fighting for his life, you learn that this really has nothing to do with hockey.

Getting on 5 years ago, I watched my best friends' mother cry at his funeral and it changed me.

my condolences for your loss, but its still hockey. whats so stupid is if the kid gets up this is a sportscenter highlight and since he didn't its a crimescene. the kid put him self in a vulnerable situation, and a grinder made a check that the kid knew was coming.

and although i consider this boardingish, i still feel boarding is a very gray area rule because its all about how the player takes a hit