Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Andrej Nestrasil

Rate this topic

15.jpg

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/nestrasil.php

As of 11/2/09

SCOUT COMMENTS
"He's willing to pay the price every shift and he's ready to battle every shift. He's a big body, he throws his body around, he never refuses physical contact and he's always engaged ... He's not a guy you look at and say, 'He's going to be a third- or fourth-line guy in the NHL.' He's got more skill than that. If he keeps improving his skating, he could be a good offensive player in the NHL." — Victoriaville Tigres head coach Yanick Jean (June 2009) ... "He likes to take the puck to the net. He protects the puck well in the corners and he's got the hands to do it. He's got good size and he's just a good hockey player." — Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill (June 2009).

STRENGTHS
Has the offensive game of a new-age power forward ... Superb puck control, taking advantage of his ample size and strength ... Great down low and along the boards ... Capable hitter ... Willing to go into traffic and battle ... Terrific 1-on-1 moves and deadly on shootouts ... More of a playmaker with impressive vision ... Continues to take big steps forward in his development.

WEAKNESSES
Needs to pick up his skating speed and one-step quickness a few strides to be an NHLer, but will be a high-end prospect if he does ... Better speed would put more power behind his hits.

PROJECTION
The Red Wings have a highly-skilled top-six forward with size in the making if Nestrasil improves his skating, although his lack of speed was a big reason why he was still available in the third round of the 2009 draft. Nestrasil will be expected get a little bit faster, but should put up 80 to 90 points as a second-year QMJHLer with Victoriaville in 2009-10. Edited by titanium2

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/200...3_Nestrasil.php

"It was the hardest season in my life because I left my family and I didn't know what to expect from Canadian hockey style or the people, but it turned out fantastic," Nestrasil said. "I was uneasy all year long, but I am glad I went there and played."

"I was just so happy because (Detroit Red Wings) picked me and I knew they are the best organization and the best team in the league," he said. "I couldn't want more."

On being a well-rounded power forward: "That is exactly my game," Nestrasil said. "I need a couple of years to get bigger. After maturing I hope I can bring a lot more than I brought this year."

Andrej finished the season with 51 points in 50 games and also has 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 playoff games so far.

I just wish he wasn't in the no defense Q. It would be so much easier to get a read on the guy. He definitely has size and seems like he doesn't mind physicality in all the reports though.

poor season is relative.....in midseason his team traded for a lot of stars to win the championship, thus his ice time was taken away and he couldn´t continue his good start to the season, pointwise.

That seems to be the common perception. Why is that? His stats aren't high enough?

It appears he only finished about 60th or 70th in the league in scoring with 51 points but he also played 18 less games than the league leader who had 96 points. Assuming he would have kept his point a game pace he would have finished about 30th in the league in scoring if he had played in every game. I don't know why he played in so few games though.

That seems to be the common perception. Why is that? His stats aren't high enough?

Obviously. He had a great rookie season, was expected to finish high amongst the point leaders, and after the first month or so he was like in the top 5. After that he complete fell away, and was invisible in the playoffs.

I'd say that's a poor season.

i don´t want to repeat myself, but his production droped off because he was demoted from top line duties to 3rd line duties. its hard to collect a point per game or more, when you don´t get the ice time. midway thru the season victoriaville management traded for half an allstar team and so he got demoted.

btw he has 15 fewer games because he was underway with his national team during parts of december and january for the u18 worlds.

maybe we should wait to judge him, until he gets top line ice-time. i heard there were rumors he would be traded to another team in the offseason.

I hadn't heard of this guy until recently when I started to do some research on our young guys, and I must say that this kid sounds very interesting. He seems to have the body frame to put on weight, the physical attitude that everyone loves and the skills to go with it. With that said, apparently the knock on him was that his skating isn't up to scratch, which normally I wouldn't worry too much about, but if his skating is so bad that a guy who sounds as good as I just mentioned would slip to the 3rd round, then how bad exactly is his skating? I'm hoping it's not that bad and we got another steal, but I'm worried that it must be pretty bad for a prospect of that quality to fall so far in the draft.

well we did get him for free so you can't be too mad if he never pans out, although I think he will have a monster year next year. He had a top 5 scoring pace in juniors to start the year but his conditioning and being on a stacked team caused him to lose ice time.

2010 Prospect Camp Review

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/07/red_wings_prospect_camp_assess.html

45 Andrej Nestrasil

Pluses: When Andrej is feeling confident in himself and is on his game, the gigantic 6’2,” 200-lb winger plays like a 6’4,” 230-lb behemoth of a power forward who can roar up (and down) the ice, possesses a massive cannonball of a shot, can astutely make passes which lead to scoring chances and goals, especially off the rush and off the cycle, he can knock people down and out without really trying and matches his offensive aplomb with sound defensive awareness and solid two-way play.

Minuses: Andrej himself stated that he that he needs to improve on his skating in terms of technique, efficiency, and power because those big legs chug along and sometimes he goes nowhere. When he’s not feeling confident about his game, he can disappear for stretches, if not look a little lost out there, and that’s not a good thing for someone with his size and absolutely elite hands. He’s still downright spindly at 200 pounds—he could use another ten or twenty, if not, quite frankly, a little more body fat. He’s one of those few players that even NHL teams would argue is too lean for his own good.

Potential “upside”: Going to the PEI Rocket, where he’s going to be asked to play like an offensive superstar, should be very, very good for Nestrasil. If he continues to grow as a player, gets stronger and keeps working on his skating, he’ll buck the Wings’ trend of drafting and developing smaller players who deliver the maximum offensive bang for their buck by becoming one of the few big, strong power forwards that the Wings have a) drafted and b) becomes something special. There’s enormous potential in this enormous man. He has to find it on his own.

From their first prospects tournament game 9/11 in which the Wings won 6 to 1.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/red_wings_prospect_tournament_win_lopsided_in_more_ways_than_one/

Andrej Nestrasil was equally superb despite no points and an even ranking, hustling up the left or right wing and handling the puck like the power forward he’s supposed to be, attentive and engaged and understanding of the fact that he’s expected to do nothing less than shine and score 40 goals for the QMJHL’s PEI Rocket.

49 Andrej Nestrasil: Andrej is a true power forward in every sense of the term save perhaps the toughness part. He’s about 6’3” and 200 lbs, he absolutely roars up the ice both with and without the puck on his stick, he’s got fantastic instincts, passes well, shoots hard, can pick corners or make plays, loves to cycle the puck and is a more tenacious checker than you’d imagine, and in a contract year, if he can keep improving, he’s going to be a very, very good player.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/red_wings_prospects_conclude_tournament_with_a_loss_prepare_for_main_camp/

8G, 8A = 16 pts in 12 games, good for 2nd in team scoring. He's only 5 pts behind the team lead and he's played 5 less games (attended Wings camp.)

I live in Charlottetown, PEI, and am excited to go see the kid play.

http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats/statdisplay.php?type=skaters&subType=10&season_id=82&leagueId=1&lastActive=&singleSeason=&confId=0

Guest Heaten

I've been high on this kid since he was drafted. I think he is extremely underrated and will be considered "another great steal by the Detroit drafting crew".