• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Esquire

2 games, 1 goal against...

Rate this topic

...with Ericsson out of the lineup.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not looking to bash Ericsson but it's pretty clear that he's had some struggles on the defensive side of things and I'd like to hear some thoughts on what will change when he gets back.

I would say last night was a case of everyone pitching in on D, and Ozzie playing really really really really well!

The whole team seemed to get a new focus, I attribute it more to Flip going down, now this team is a two line (offensively) team and everyone is going to need to chip in as much as possible from Abbie to Z back to Maltby.

Bert especially is going to need to stop hunting for Iron Ore and start looking to hit the twine.

The guy is playing well in his own zone and is really creating in the O zone, but he needs less Iron more twine!

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not looking to bash Ericsson but it's pretty clear that he's had some struggles on the defensive side of things and I'd like to hear some thoughts on what will change when he gets back.

I think Ericsson Lebda is a terrible pairing, but there were a lot more variables going on here than just Ericsson being out of the lineup.

He needs to be paired with a stay at home D-man, not turnover machines like Lebda and/or Meech - keep in mind, he is also leading the team for defensive scoring - I think Janik needs to stay up and play regularly... Meech and Lebda can batte for #7 and one of them can go (hell, they can both go and bring up Delmore too as far as I'm concerned)

Also, as Opie said - this also has a lot to do with overall team defense improvement and Ozzie's DRASTIC improvement in net...

Edited by stevkrause

I would say last night was a case of everyone pitching in on D, and Ozzie playing really really really really well!

The whole team seemed to get a new focus, I attribute it more to Flip going down, now this team is a two line (offensively) team and everyone is going to need to chip in as much as possible from Abbie to Z back to Maltby.

Bert especially is going to need to stop hunting for Iron Ore and start looking to hit the twine.

The guy is playing well in his own zone and is really creating in the O zone, but he needs less Iron more twine!

While I would agree they were better I would also have to say that the other un-tangible was there for us last night and that was "luck". Especially in the First Period the Near goal with Ozzie flopping around in the crease and the puck just gliding on the line and hitting the post, That was extremely lucky and in the first few games would have probably when in. Then a little later on in the period Ozzie was clearly beat and the shot hits the crossbar. Those goals go in and we would see a different game.

Last nights game is an example of why we as Red Wing fans need to calm down and let them play. They can do everything in there power to win and some times it just comes down to the hockey gods letting the puck bounce your way.

All that being said it was a good game to watch and Ozzie played really well in the second and third period, now can he keep it up. Ozzie is a great goal tender but has always suffered from lack of consistency, during the season that is. He's pretty damn good in the post season.

Edited by hellsson

Last night we absolutely got some bounces. Osgood played very well too. Personally I think Meech and Lebda also had much strogner games than normal and that would make a difference. Also Janik played really well last night too. Our team defence was there and thigns came together. I don't think it was really much of a comment on Ericsson being out.

The last 2 teams we've met have been struggling to score goals. If we can keep it up against a more offensive team like the sharks on Thursday then it will be more significant. Hopefully it's a trend.

Edited by Pucks

The last 2 teams we've met have been struggling to score goals. If we can keep it up against a more offensive team like the sharks on Thursday then it will be more significant. Hopefully it's a trend.

in all fairness, calgary has not been struggling to score goals. the game before they played us they were limited to 2 by colorado, but in the 3 before that they scored 16 goals. i think before they played us, they were still at the top of the league for goals per game.

i do agree that boston has had trouble scoring with all their injuries and such.

i think the offense has had a big hand in the last couple games. their passes have been on the mark, they've been reversing the breakout well, and they've generally been playing the puck possession game well. they have improved defensively in the neutral zone and with a speedy forecheck, but the Wings defense in their own zone hasn't looked that much better if at all. there were plenty of chances.

I'll say it then Big Rig has been almost as bad as Lebda on defense, the difference is Big Rig has some offensive upside. Also everyone loves Ericsson because he's big and will fight. I like him a lot but I have been unimpressed this season but I keep in mind this is actually his 1st season on the roster full time.

I think a big part of it is the pairing he's on. I'm not blaming either guy in particular, but both E and Lebda like to rush the puck deep. Lebda getting caught on a 2 on 1... well he's not that good there, and E doesn't have the speed to get back and gets caught on a 2 on 1 because of it.

I feel that if Lilja were around, E would have a much easier time settling in. He would be able to move around, be mobile and play his game. Lilja knows his stay-at-home game well, and would allow E to flourish. This pairing just doesn't allow it.

While I would agree they were better I would also have to say that the other un-tangible was there for us last night and that was "luck". Especially in the First Period the Near goal with Ozzie flopping around in the crease and the puck just gliding on the line and hitting the post, That was extremely lucky and in the first few games would have probably when in. Then a little later on in the period Ozzie was clearly beat and the shot hits the crossbar. Those goals go in and we would see a different game.

Last nights game is an example of why we as Red Wing fans need to calm down and let them play. They can do everything in there power to win and some times it just comes down to the hockey gods letting the puck bounce your way.

All that being said it was a good game to watch and Ozzie played really well in the second and third period, now can he keep it up. Ozzie is a great goal tender but has always suffered from lack of consistency, during the season that is. He's pretty damn good in the post season.

For the record the Boston player (was it Wheeler?) had no angle to put that puck in the net, just like with Hossa's chance in the 08 finals. With the second goal, you don't know if he was actually beat because the PUCK DIDNT GO IN. Shots on the post don't count as goals so why should Ozzie worry about stopping those?

It isn't like Osgood was easily beaten and the Bruins didn't capitalize. They didn't capitalize because Osgood was able to beat them at every step of the game and Boston played some uninspired hockey during the middle frame. The defense also kicked into gear when it needed to and kept Osgood from beiong bombarded.

Ericsson being out of the lineup has little to nothing to do with it. It has to do with multiple variables. Lets just be happy right now the Wings are playing amazing.

I thought you were referring to Raycroft for the Canucks against Colorado and Rangers.

After a night being shell-shocked by Anaheim ...

Why didn't we pick up Raycroft as backup at $500K

because we NEED to see what Howard is at the NHL level day in and day out - out of minor league options... didn't we already have about 100 threads discussing this?

:lol:

Guest Crymson
I thought you were referring to Raycroft for the Canucks against Colorado and Rangers.

After a night being shell-shocked by Anaheim ...

Why didn't we pick up Raycroft as backup at $500K

Because he has always been terrible. He was let go by Toronto because he was awful, and he was let go by Colorado because he was awful there as well.

That said, congrats on having retroactive opinions. Sadly, Holland and co. can neither see the future nor change the past.

Ericsson should be moved to a forward again. Big winger, good speed, good shot, doesn't have to think too much. Hmm...

Datsyuk should be moved to public relations.

Guest Four

Raffi was also gone the second game. I would really love to see:

Lidstrom Kronwall

Stuart Lebda

Janik Ericcson

And trade Raffi for a scorer now that we've lost Franzen and Filp for a while