• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
schulzte

Red Wings > Pistons Attendance

Rate this topic

I had read that the Pistons were going to struggle this year at the gate, but I didn't expect last night's number.

Red Wings vs. Bruins - 19,167 at Joe Louis Arena

Pistons vs. Magic - 15,487 at the Palace of Auburn Hills

15,487 would be the lowest attendance for a Pistons game in eight years. The Red Wings attendance has dropped a little since 2007, but 15,487 is over 6,500 unsold tickets at the Palace, which hasn't been approached at JLA. Interesting that ESPN didn't have anything to say about this.

The Pistons have outdrawn the Red Wings since 2001-02, but that is going to end this year.

Guest ZetterbergFourty
I heard the Wings gave away a bunch of free tickets.

I think they sell $9 from Nov-Jan dont they?

JLA looked dead for first 5 min of the game.. actually till about 7:30pm .. i guess thats when people thought the start time was. then it filled up nicely.. kinda scary original six matchup didnt sell-out.. and it was looking bad during warmup looked like 100 people there scattered around.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

I'm wondering if this H1N1 s*** has anything to do with s***ty attendance?

Guest E_S_A_D

There are all sorts of deals right now on tickets, they're practically paying people to go.

How much of a chance is there that it will continue like this? I could grumble about this for hours.... it will be 'righted' just watch.

Maybe ppl are wising up and realizing basketball really sucks to watch.

Haven't watched a basketball game in years. If you've seen a few, you've seen them all imo.

I thought the $9 tickets were "obstructed view" seats (not exactly sure what those are). I know they have $15 tix for college kids w/ ID, I think they're essentially left over seats in between groups of seats. I dunno what other deals are you there though.

I love both teams and follow the Pistons closely as well. The Palace has been literally empty for the first two home games. Sure, JLA has some empty seats but nothing on the level like the Pistons are getting this season.

Plenty of it has to do with the Pistons drastic turnover and the debacle from last season. The Pistons have been good for so long and the dropoff (sadly) finally hit. Expectations are low for the Pistons; despite what Jimmy D. may claim, they aren't for the Red Wings.

I had read that the Pistons were going to struggle this year at the gate, but I didn't expect last night's number.

Red Wings vs. Bruins - 19,167 at Joe Louis Arena

Pistons vs. Magic - 15,487 at the Palace of Auburn Hills

15,487 would be the lowest attendance for a Pistons game in eight years. The Red Wings attendance has dropped a little since 2007, but 15,487 is over 6,500 unsold tickets at the Palace, which hasn't been approached at JLA. Interesting that ESPN didn't have anything to say about this.

The Pistons have outdrawn the Red Wings since 2001-02, but that is going to end this year.

Factors for that include that the palace has nearly 2,000 additional seats than the Joe does, as well as the 2004-05 lockout. The Red Wings regular season sellout streak ended in October of 2007 after what, 10 years? The Pistons sold out over 200 home games in a row until last season - that's not a 10 year streak.

Guest CaliWingsNut

NHL has outsold NBA last 2? years in a row... I know at least last year.

I dont know if its been mentioned but i do believe that there were some fans at JLA last night that either A) Forgot the game started at 7 instead of the usual 730 or B) Just arrived late, because midway through the first that arena looked pretty full and i had a buddy who went to the game and said it was pretty full. The Pistons i think rightly or wrongly the empty seats may have to do with the Iverson trade and how bad he ruined last season.

Now that the Lions, Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings all fail to sell out games...

Can we finally acknowledge that the economy in Michigan is to blame for the attendance woes? Or should we continue to pretend that Michiganders have spontaneously lost interest in all the sports?

People who live here and understand what's going on have never wavered on this point, but the Wings were hit first and the media cited the continued draw at other Detroit pro arenas as some sort of evidence that... what, exactly? People here don't like hockey anymore? I don't know. It was never clear to me what they were trying to say, other than to bash the fan base and try to give the "Hockeytown" mantle to some other city.

But now that it's trickled down to all the teams, that angle doesn't fly anymore. People don't have jobs, don't have disposable income like they used to or simply don't live here anymore. That's the f**king reason the seats aren't all filled. Not just at The Joe, but in all the arenas. The Tigers couldn't sell out divisional games in the final week of a pennant race, for cripes' sake.

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID.

Duh.

Now that the Lions, Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings all fail to sell out games...

Can we finally acknowledge that the economy in Michigan is to blame for the attendance woes? Or should we continue to pretend that Michiganders have spontaneously lost interest in all the sports?

People who live here and understand what's going on have never wavered on this point, but the Wings were hit first and the media cited the continued draw at other Detroit pro arenas as some sort of evidence that... what, exactly? People here don't like hockey anymore? I don't know. It was never clear to me what they were trying to say, other than to bash the fan base and try to give the "Hockeytown" mantle to some other city.

But now that it's trickled down to all the teams, that angle doesn't fly anymore. People don't have jobs, don't have disposable income like they used to or simply don't live here anymore. That's the f**king reason the seats aren't all filled. Not just at The Joe, but in all the arenas. The Tigers couldn't sell out divisional games in the final week of a pennant race, for cripes' sake.

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID.

Duh.

The economy has a lot to do with it dont get me wrong but the Pistons, Wings, Tigers and Lions all have made efforts to lower prices to get people to games but with the Tigers from listenting to the radio it sounded like no one believed in that team and didnt want to put the commitment into them just to get their heartbroken, Lions now i love the Lions but im not going to spend my hard earned money to see that garbage on the field and the fans have finally wised up and are waiting for the lions to prove that their changing. Pistons the only thing i can say for them is there is nothing to do in Auburn Hills after the game now personally i dont really find that as an excuse but i know people who do use that and say the Palace is too long of a drive which for me its about an hour. Finally the Red Wings i think we can all agree that the arena looks much fuller (if thats a word) then after the lockout.

I thought the $9 tickets were "obstructed view" seats (not exactly sure what those are). I know they have $15 tix for college kids w/ ID, I think they're essentially left over seats in between groups of seats. I dunno what other deals are you there though.

My $15 student seats were pretty good. (goalie line, row 6).

And the crowd was great last night;

008.jpg

I was at the Pistons game on Tuesday night versus the magic... yes it was empty, in fact the Vipers (last time i was at the palace for a sporting event) pulled in more fans than the pistons did. But also empty from the Palace that night was the entertainment... GOD DAMN basketball is horrible watch in person or on tv!

We got free tickets for an engagement gift from my Fiancee's boss so we "had" to go. Luckily we had awesome seats and free parking... but we still left at half time.

....But why are we talking about attendance already? isnt this supposed to be a playoff "problem" last i checked neither the Wings nor Pistons are losing money... not with ticket prices so high (our seats were $250 each face value) in reference to expectations! not to mention it was GAME 4 of the season for the Pistons.

Edited by OsGOD