Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Congrads New York Yankees

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ November 5, 2009 - 12:31AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank God that series is over. I can look forward to watching my tv shows again.

this thumbup.gif
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#22 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:50 AM

Why is this in GD? Isn't there an Other Sports forum?

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#23 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (Wings_Dynasty @ November 5, 2009 - 04:50AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is this in GD? Isn't there an Other Sports forum?

The mods need sleep too.

Well that or they are too busy celebrating the Yankees victory (JEDI I'm looking at you). ph34r.gif

Posted Image

#24 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

I'm a huge sports fan, love every major sport. Congrats to the Yankees but I still can't get over Detroit's fallout. It doesn't eat at me the same way as the Wings losing game 7, but I was still bitter for awhile. I don't know how some of you can go away until hockey season starts; I NEED sports, so I love Tiger's baseball during the summer. Good thing about the Lions losing is there's two other Detroit winning teams going on.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 05 November 2009 - 04:46 AM.

#25 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (rage @ November 5, 2009 - 04:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mods need sleep too.

Well that or they are too busy celebrating the Yankees victory (JEDI I'm looking at you). ph34r.gif

Well dangit, it's morning now and it's still in the wrong forum. Anyway, as someone said earlier I guess it's just because baseball is the "American" game that makes it so popular. Interesting that the game was won single-handedly by a Japanese guy, not that I really care. I wish there were more USA born hockey players in the pros, but I won't stop watching hockey because of it.

Oh, and eff the Yankees. Not that I want a Philly team to win anything though, they are a-holes for the most part (and my brother in law is from there).

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#26 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

Thank god now family guy, american dad and cleveland show is back on...... until its SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.. or some other lame stuff... give us a break sad.gif

#27 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (mindfly @ November 5, 2009 - 07:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank god now family guy, american dad and cleveland show is back on...... until its SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.. or some other lame stuff... give us a break sad.gif

Cause those shows aren't all the same with different character names and slightly modified jokes. (If you don't know this already, watch any of the 3, 90% of the time its 'I believed one thing at the start, now I don't, or now this is why i was right, and remember that time X did Y when Z was with or at A).
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#28 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Shaman464 @ November 5, 2009 - 01:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cause those shows aren't all the same with different character names and slightly modified jokes. (If you don't know this already, watch any of the 3, 90% of the time its 'I believed one thing at the start, now I don't, or now this is why i was right, and remember that time X did Y when Z was with or at A).

A bit off-topic.. oh well =P

Family Guy and american dad are pretty different and besides seth macfarlane got so much up his sleeve he can run 2 shows at the same time and have high quality humour in every episode... cleveland show is new and far from as good as those other two but you still enjoy it if you dont have anything else to do smile.gif

However the best show from U.S is without doubt South Park, too bad last nights episode wasn't good, last weeks one.."whale whores" was hilarious...

#29 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

That about sums it up for me. Discussion turns to cartoons in a thread congratulating the Yankees on their pennant.
Rough as guts.

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

Before the anchor is pulled up on this and moved, I, as a New York Yankees fan, would like to send a special thank you to Pedro Martinez, for coming out and throwing batting practice during the game. Don Zimmer was probably having the best laugh of all.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#31 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Wings_Toledo @ November 5, 2009 - 12:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always hear non-Wings fans say they hate the Wings because they're the "Yankees of Hockey." Well, they do both have something in common: they're great teams who win championships.

^ This.

And before the Salary Cap was implemented, the Wings were one of the bigger spending teams in the NHL, just like the Yankees are in MLB presently. So it's hypocritical for Wings fans to irriationally hate the Yankees for buying championshionships. The Wings obviously didn't just buy championships alone, drafted well and the like etc., but you get what I'm sayin.

#32 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ November 5, 2009 - 09:47AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ This.

And before the Salary Cap was implemented, the Wings were one of the bigger spending teams in the NHL, just like the Yankees are in MLB presently. So it's hypocritical for Wings fans to irriationally hate the Yankees for buying championshionships. The Wings obviously didn't just buy championships alone, drafted well and the like etc., but you get what I'm sayin.

The Wings rarely had the highest payroll in the NHL. When do the Yankess NOT have the highest?

It's just an incorrect comparison and it pisses me off when people make it.
Rough as guts.

#33 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

thank god thats over.

i have been missing house.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#34 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Doggy @ November 5, 2009 - 08:57AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wings rarely had the highest payroll in the NHL. When do the Yankess NOT have the highest?

It's just an incorrect comparison and it pisses me off when people make it.

They both still spent a lot in their respective leagues. That is not deniable.

#35 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ November 5, 2009 - 07:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, while those may be entertaining, the one show I was talking about was House. I've been jonesing for two weeks now because of stupid baseball. It totally screwed up my DVR.

#36 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

I hate the Yanks/Wings comparision. It isn't even remotely the same situation.

The Red Wings were and are the model franchise of the NHL. They did it pre-salary cap and they have been the best team post-salary cap. The Yankees can literally buy championships in a playing field where other teams can't compete financially. The Yankees blow away other teams in payroll, yet the Wings always had company from the Rangers, Flyers, Avalanche. The economic disparity in baseball cannot ever be compared to the NHL's pre-salary cap days.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (HOCKEY MATTERS @ November 5, 2009 - 12:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope. no credit, props, kudos or recognition of the Yankees. ever. irrational hatred is complete, unwavering and permanent. my opinion....f*** the Yankees. i used to hope they would all die in a plane crash, but i relalized that that wasn't very nice and i don't wish that on them anymore. that's the only respect i will give them.

Easy, we're the Yankees of the NHL.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 useyourillusion

useyourillusion

fdgfdg

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

not really a baseball fan, but i sure do hate the philles.

yankees = rolleyes.gif
glad they won though.
still wanted my tigers to win, hahah.

#39 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

I accept your congrats most happily. I also want to thank the Yankee Haters here for putting a smile on my face. God damn do I love you people. There is almost nothing better than seeing people so filled with rage over a baseball team, it eclipses their love for their own team. EVEN better than that are people who don't even like baseball, they just hate the Yankees because it's what everyone else is doing.

Seriously. LOVE. YOU.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#40 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ November 5, 2009 - 03:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate the Yanks/Wings comparision. It isn't even remotely the same situation.

The Red Wings were and are the model franchise of the NHL. They did it pre-salary cap and they have been the best team post-salary cap. The Yankees can literally buy championships in a playing field where other teams can't compete financially. The Yankees blow away other teams in payroll, yet the Wings always had company from the Rangers, Flyers, Avalanche. The economic disparity in baseball cannot ever be compared to the NHL's pre-salary cap days.

That's fair enough.

Not saying you specifically GoWings are thinking this, but plenty of times either here (and other places I'm assuming) Wings fans got all up in arms from others saying that they could spend plenty to win a Stanley Cup recently before Salary Cap era.

While it's not entirely just about payroll, the Red Wings had that flexibility, and used it to their advantage. The Yankees are doing the same.

Now people in here are getting all hellbent at the Yankees for having the flexibility and money to help aid in winning a championship. It just doesn't quite make sense to me and to a degree it's the pot meeting the kettle with some Wings fans in here.

Capitalism. You have more money, you're usually able to spend a bit more to improve your business/team. Doesn't always work out but it has in the past for both the REd Wings and the Yankees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users