Sign in to follow this  
tinyhockey

Flames

Rate this topic

Click here to find out more!

{eot}

Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size

Text Size

CALGARY -- Alberta's health board says a second person has been fired for helping set up a private clinic for Calgary Flames players and their families to get the H1N1 flu vaccine.

Alberta Health Services launched an investigation earlier this week into how the professional hockey players got the shots while thousands of Albertans waited in line.

The investigation found the health agency was approached by a member of the team's medical staff early last week to see if a clinic could be made available.

The request was forwarded to a more senior staff member, who took it to a supervisor for approval.

The investigation found there was "no written record of approval to proceed and there is no process for authorization of the use of the H1N1 vaccine for this purpose, as it contradicts existing protocols and processes."

The most senior health worker involved was fired earlier this week and health services said Friday a second staff member has also been sacked.

The health agency said no information will be released about the two people who were fired, for privacy reasons, and no further disciplinary action is being considered.

"An advisory has been sent reminding all AHS clinical personnel involved in the H1N1 vaccination campaign to ensure that it is understood that no exceptions will be made to existing protocols," the news release detailing the investigation results says.

The health agency says the Flames management made the decision to get the shots based on a process they thought had been properly approved.

The Flames' clinic prompted outrage from opposition politicians and even some fans, who said the hockey players should have stepped back and let people such as pregnant women and young children get their shots first.

At the time the Flames' clinic was held, the Alberta government was allowing anyone who arrived at mass public clinics to be given the shot. The situation created huge lines that stretched for hours and scores of people were turned away.

Shortly after the Flames were given their vaccinations, the government closed down the public program altogether due to a shortage of vaccine. Clinics were re-opened Thursday with strict rules on who would be eligible to get the vaccine.

The Flames aren't the only professional athletes feeling the heat for getting the vaccine ahead of other groups considered at higher risk.

Ontario's health minister promised Thursday to investigate how players with the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Raptors got the shot.

CALGARY, Alberta -- Alberta's health board says a second person has been fired for helping set up a private clinic for Calgary Flames players and their families to get the H1N1 flu vaccine.

Alberta Health Services launched an investigation earlier this week into how the hockey players got shots while thousands of Albertans waited in line. The investigation found the health agency was approached by a member of the team's medical staff to see if a clinic could be made available. The request was approved by a more senior staff member, who was fired earlier this week.

There was no written record of the clinic being approved and its creation contradicts existing protocols, the board found.

I thought the players sounded more than a little self-absorbed when they were talking about how "high-risk" they were. They don't understand what high-risk means in this context; the people who are high-risk are the ones who are at risk of developing complications, getting even more sick and possibly dying. Athletes might get sick but it's extremely unlikely that they'll suffer anything worse than a week's worth of flu symptoms.

I thought the players sounded more than a little self-absorbed when they were talking about how "high-risk" they were. They don't understand what high-risk means in this context; the people who are high-risk are the ones who are at risk of developing complications, getting even more sick and possibly dying. Athletes might get sick but it's extremely unlikely that they'll suffer anything worse than a week's worth of flu symptoms.

Agreed. Just because they're at a higher risk for catching it doesn't make it fair to steal the shot from people who are at a high risk for dieing from it.

If you were slightly pressured by the team to do it I'm sure you would too. They were old they were High Risk and it's beneficial for their families. It's the government to blame not th players. I'm sure when they went in they weren't told that if they got the shot then someone else was at risk of dieing. I think they did it because they were told to and told it is good for their families. Who wouldn't?

It was definitely wrong but people are to hard on the players. They are just doing what they are told. If theres blame to be layed its on the Flame's and Leaf's(Rap's) brass and the Alberta and Ontario Governments.

If you were slightly pressured by the team to do it I'm sure you would too. They were old they were High Risk and it's beneficial for their families. It's the government to blame not th players. I'm sure when they went in they weren't told that if they got the shot then someone else was at risk of dieing. I think they did it because they were told to and told it is good for their families. Who wouldn't?

It was definitely wrong but people are to hard on the players. They are just doing what they are told. If theres blame to be layed its on the Flame's and Leaf's(Rap's) brass and the Alberta and Ontario Governments.

I'm sorry but that's BS. They have to be told? They don't live in a bubble.

I'm just saying stop vilifying the players when it's the Government that should be taking the heat for it.

It was a Flames rep who approached somebody from Alberta Health Services and asked for a private clinic to be set up. Strike one. The clinic was set up, with no paper trail, while others waited in 4-5 hour lines, with restrictions on who would get the vaccine. Strike two. The players had to know that they were taking vaccines for themselves and their families while "regular people" had to wait, and possible die from this flu because they can't get shots. Strike three, they're out.

As I said in the Maple Leafs thread on this whole thing: I have a daughter with severe asthma. I'm a service technician for the phone company, and I go into 8-10 homes and businesses every day. Personally, I think my daughter is more high risk than f***-knuckles like Iginla and Phaneuf.

The Flames and Maple Leafs all suck donkey ass for this pathetic display. I have absolutely zero respect for any of the ass-munches that greedily bypassed a system just because they can.

Guest Four
It was a Flames rep who approached somebody from Alberta Health Services and asked for a private clinic to be set up. Strike one. The clinic was set up, with no paper trail, while others waited in 4-5 hour lines, with restrictions on who would get the vaccine. Strike two. The players had to know that they were taking vaccines for themselves and their families while "regular people" had to wait, and possible die from this flu because they can't get shots. Strike three, they're out.

As I said in the Maple Leafs thread on this whole thing: I have a daughter with severe asthma. I'm a service technician for the phone company, and I go into 8-10 homes and businesses every day. Personally, I think my daughter is more high risk than f***-knuckles like Iginla and Phaneuf.

The Flames and Maple Leafs all suck donkey ass for this pathetic display. I have absolutely zero respect for any of the ass-munches that greedily bypassed a system just because they can.

You do realize we have no proof the shot actually works, right? And there is a chemical, Thimerosal, that is a preservative with roughly 1/2 mercury in it? And you do realize this preservative may be linked to autism?

Just something for you to think about while you wait in line.

I mentioned the government and the Flame's and Leaf's organizations. I'm just saying the players are being blasted for being told to do it.

I don't know you personally but I'm guessing that if your employer offered it wouldn't be turned down by you because of your daughter. I'm also thinking that the rest o your company would probably take it too.

Again, I'm not supporting these actions but the players were told to do it by their bosses and they did.

I mentioned the government and the Flame's and Leaf's organizations. I'm just saying the players are being blasted for being told to do it.

I don't know you personally but I'm guessing that if your employer offered it wouldn't be turned down by you because of your daughter. I'm also thinking that the rest o your company would probably take it too.

Again, I'm not supporting these actions but the players were told to do it by their bosses and they did.

I'm lazy so I don't feel like googling it myself, but if you could provide me with at least one link where it says that players were told they had to go get the shots from this clinic, I'd appreciate it.

I'm lazy so I don't feel like googling it myself, but if you could provide me with at least one link where it says that players were told they had to go get the shots from this clinic, I'd appreciate it.

I didn't say that it was mandatory. I said they were told to get it. If they weren't informed by the team they wouldn't know about the clinic.

You do realize we have no proof the shot actually works, right? And there is a chemical, Thimerosal, that is a preservative with roughly 1/2 mercury in it? And you do realize this preservative may be linked to autism?

Just something for you to think about while you wait in line.

I do realize this. I also realize that not getting shot has a lower success rate than getting one. I also realize that it's my choice to decide whether I get it for me and my family or not. There are a lot of things that may be related to a lot of other things. The word "may" just throws so much s*** out there, it's unreal. I may win 50 million bucks tonight in the lottery. Big fat hairy ******* deal. My point, although I digressed there, is that this is not about the effectiveness of the H1N1 vaccine, but about the Flames getting special treatment by the government.

Well, believe it or not, you are wrong. Even though my daughter has severe asthma, I can see the results of my actions. It would be a difficult choice, I'll grant you that, but with the shortage of the vaccine, kids not being able to get it, pregnant women going without it, and lineups that are way too long, my conscience would not let me do it. The rest of my company is mostly full of s*** weasels, so you are probably right about that one.

I didn't say that it was mandatory. I said they were told to get it. If they weren't informed by the team they wouldn't know about the clinic.

Okay, so you want to twist words; I didn't say it was "mandatory", either. It's important to make the distinction, however, between the Flames' management saying "there will be a clinic for you players and your families to go get the H1N1 vaccine, go get it", and saying "I heard there's going to be a private clinic which has the H1N1 vaccine at this location and this time... wink wink nudge nudge".

I'm simply interested in knowing which one was the case; if it was the former, the blame lies on the shoulders of Flames management. If the latter, the blame still lies with management, but also with the players, as they chose to go get this vaccine ahead of schedule.

Regardless, I can't condone the vaccination of players who did not fall into the "priority groups"; it shouldn't have happened, and I'm especially offended by the players who were talking about how they were "high-risk" as hockey players. Even the concession workers at the arena have a higher risk of catching H1N1; they're in close quarters and exchanging items with hundreds or thousands of people every time there's a game. The selfishness of the players who believed they deserved the vaccine is what bugs me the most.

Agreed. Just because they're at a higher risk for catching it doesn't make it fair to steal the shot from people who are at a high risk for dieing from it.

Absolutely, "high risk" refers to potential negative outcomes, not just getting it or not. As we all know, or should, the highest risk groups for H1N1 are children and pregnant women. Most hockey teams, like the Wings, do OUTSTANDING work for kids and children's hospitals. To hear of these punk Flames organization people using their money and status to circumvent those who need it most is disgusting. Hey, good thing their great grandfathers weren't on the Titanic, they would have been tossing little kids and women off those lifeboats left and right.

Seriously, this is really low and just plain cowardly. Makes me sick.

I was under the impression that the Flames didn't know there was a shortage when they got the shots. Has this changed? I myself didn't hear of a shortage until Sunday or so.

I have a problem with them skipping the lines, but there are thousands of other low risk people that got the vaccine thinking that the Alberta government knew what they were doing when they said there was enough for everyone.

Edit: The Flames do a lot for the community as well. A few years ago they were supposedly one of the most community involved teams in the league.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=20924

http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40355

Edited by adubs

I was under the impression that the Flames didn't know there was a shortage when they got the shots. Has this changed? I myself didn't hear of a shortage until Sunday or so.

I have a problem with them skipping the lines, but there are thousands of other low risk people that got the vaccine thinking that the Alberta government knew what they were doing when they said there was enough for everyone.

Edit: The Flames do a lot for the community as well. A few years ago they were supposedly one of the most community involved teams in the league.

You'd have to have your head in the sand to not know there was a shortage, but I would agree that this one can be chalked up to a bad decision by one or two folks and not the entire organization. Most if not all NHL clubs seem to do outstanding work for kids and others with serious medical issues and hopefully this will pass and they can concentrate on the good work. Still, I think it's a good lesson for all of us. Sometimes, no matter how much money or influence one may have, it simply doesn't mean you get the first spot in the line.

Is this supposed to make it alright that they hosed the community? Or are you saying they probably didn't hose the community on purpose? Either way, the result is the same.

Is this supposed to make it alright that they hosed the community? Or are you saying they probably didn't hose the community on purpose? Either way, the result is the same.

I was replying to this statement:

. Most hockey teams, like the Wings, do OUTSTANDING work for kids and children's hospitals. To hear of these punk Flames organization people using their money and status to circumvent those who need it most is disgusting.

What the Flames did was wrong, but to go and call them punks is a little bit harsh. After 30 years of good will, the Flames all of a sudden ruin it with one bad decision? Yeah right.

Edited by adubs

I was replying to this statement:

What the Flames did was wrong, but to go and call them punks is a little bit harsh.

Gotcha. I think calling them punks is letting them off a little easy. No conscience, no personal code of ethics, no idea what "high risk" means. Iginla going on tv defending the move. All of it makes them all a bunch of f*** sticks.