• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Plan B:

Rate this topic

From TSN :

Toronto Maple Leafs' president and general manager Brian Burke took NHL Commisioner Gary Bettman on a tour of the team's new practice facility on Tuesday and took the opportunity to make a pitch for an outdoor game at BMO Field.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment also applied to host an NHL All-Star Game and two NHL Entry Drafts at the Air Canada Centre in the next four years.

BMO Field, the home of Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, has a capacity of just over 20,000 for soccer.

BMO field is a gorgeous place, but it wouldn't hold nearly as many as Wrigley, Fenway, etc. do. With that said, I don't think that should impede its chances. The ratings for a Winter Classic involving the Leafs would be off the charts.

Wings vs Leafs would be awesome!

ACK ! There could never be an outdoor game in detroit if they are always the visiting team, but your right it would be very cool wings leafs original 6 outdoors.

Why not Roger's Centre?

Rogers Centre just isn't a traditional venue in any sense of the world. In fact, when you're watching a ball game there with the roof open, it doesn't even really feel like your outdoors. I've never been a big fan of the stadium.

Why not Roger's Centre?

Because there isn't enough proper drainage to have the roof open in any season. This came to light last year when the Buffalo Bills played Miami in December and the roof had to be kept closed. The Bills were hoping to have their usual "home-field advantage" for this game (i.e., snow and cold) with the roof open, but were told it couldn't happen.

Because there isn't enough proper drainage to have the roof open in any season. This came to light last year when the Buffalo Bills played Miami in December and the roof had to be kept closed. The Bills were hoping to have their usual "home-field advantage" for this game (i.e., snow and cold) with the roof open, but were told it couldn't happen.

Thats funny about the Bills!! I am a huge Bills fan and there is no such thing as any advantage for them anymore! If they played 12 games and 12 times the other team didn't show up they would still only be 6-6

Back on topic, I could see a Toronto/Montreal outdoor game! Maybe if they pulled that crappy roof off from Olympic Stadium in Montreal, they could have it there!

BMO field is a gorgeous place, but it wouldn't hold nearly as many as Wrigley, Fenway, etc. do. With that said, I don't think that should impede its chances. The ratings for a Winter Classic involving the Leafs would be off the charts.

In the US though? Unless you have someone like the Rangers (probably the only good US ratings team not already involved in one...maybe Washington too), I doubt it. There's a reason you never see the Leafs on the Versus/NBC games. I'm trying to say this without homer goggles on, but I think last year's numbers will be tough to beat in the near future.

I think Toronto definitely deserves one, but I hate their venues. I think it either needs to be big (football stadiums) or have character (Wrigley/Fenway). Toronto has neither of those things really. Of the two though BMO > Rogers. You're going to need a calculator to count the ticket prices for a Winter Classic in TO at a small venue :blink:

Theres the old Ivor Wynne CFL stadium in Hamilton that holds an extra 10,000 more than BMO. Bettman could apologize to Hamilton by having it there? :blush:

Seriously though, theres no way you can have a Winter Classic in TORONTO of all places in a tiny venue like BMO. Its Rogers or Riots!