• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Another idea for GM's - Shorten Season to 70-74 games

Rate this topic

I've always felt that 82 games was a bit too much.

Why don't we shorten the season to 70-74 games and get playoffs started earlier and end earlier?

What do you think as a fan? Maybe players will last longer as well.

I know there is no chance that GM's will suggest this but maybe NHLPA ... if they ever get their act together.

I've always felt that 82 games was a bit too much.

Why don't we shorten the season to 70-74 games and get playoffs started earlier and end earlier?

What do you think as a fan? Maybe players will last longer as well.

I know there is no chance that GM's will suggest this but maybe NHLPA ... if they ever get their act together.

You are taking a paycheck from the players. I don't see them going tha route. They don't get paid in the playoffs.

I know GM's would never go for this. But from a NHLPA point of view or a player's point of view, for a 72 game season, a player would make approx 87% of what they are making. 10 games translates to about 3 weeks. An average $3 mill player would make $2.63 million ... let's just stop and think about this ... if you were a player, would you take a bit less to 3 weeks more off per year? For some guy making that many millions ... does a few hundred thousand really make that much of a difference? And honestly, everyone wants the playoffs just to start ... those last 10 games is like ... let's get this going already.

As for more games=more revenue ... yes for teams that fill the place. But here is another scenario ... Team A fills stadium to 80% of seats for an 82 game season but fills 90% seats in an 72 game season - maybe difference isn't that much.

let's just stop and think about this ... if you were a player, would you take a bit less to 3 weeks more off per year? For some guy making that many millions ... does a few hundred thousand really make that much of a difference?

It does seem to make a difference. When the team offers 3 million and a player want's 3.5 million, they are squabbling over a few hundred thousand dollars.

I doubt it'd happen, but I can definitely understand the reasoning behind it, which IMO is mostly in regards to player health.

Though I would be sad there'd be fewer NHL games, as a fan I could support shortening the season. And for hockey condensing the schedule isn't an option, because of the game's physicality vis-a-vis player health.

In fact all stick and ball sport seasons could be shortened, and I'd be happier. That baseball drags out into November is ridiculous. As is gridiron football extending into February, and winter sports until June.

There is a good chance the League would still have an 84-game schedule, had it not been for the lockout in 1994-95; they went from 80 games (for the last time) in 1991-92 and went to 84 games, for two seasons, in 1992-93.

If the League, and the General Managers, care about the health and well-being of the players, they should look at the rules, not the schedule.

You are taking a paycheck from the players. I don't see them going tha route. They don't get paid in the playoffs.

Player contract salaries run through the regular season only, but Players do get paid in the playoffs. Its just a very small amount paid by the league based on how far their team goes.

The NHL should have an 84 game regular season while cutting the pre-season schedule in half and eliminating the overburdening of select teams in the preseason to generate extra revenue for the revenue sharing program. I'm all for the diversification of teams in the league, but when a team like Phoenix is just hemmoraging money it's time to take a more realistic stance on revenue sharing. The NHL is a business, not a charity. I'm not talking about economic hardships (which are the reason I support renevue sharing to a certain degree), I'm talking about genuine disinterest among the team's demographic.

Either way, 84 game regular season, halved preseason is my solution.

Player contract salaries run through the regular season only, but Players do get paid in the playoffs. Its just a very small amount paid by the league based on how far their team goes.

Only the Stanley Cup winners get a playoff bonus.

Only the Stanley Cup winners get a playoff bonus.

Please state your source.

From what I've always seen the bonus structure looks similar to this with the total amount awarded spilt amongst the players:

First round losing teams: $50,000

2nd round losing teams: $100,000

3rd round losing teams: $200,000

Stanley Cup Final loser: $500,000

Stanley Cup winner: $1,000,000

Please state your source.

From what I've always seen the bonus structure looks similar to this with the total amount awarded spilt amongst the players:

First round losing teams: $50,000

2nd round losing teams: $100,000

3rd round losing teams: $200,000

Stanley Cup Final loser: $500,000

Stanley Cup winner: $1,000,000

Looks like I made a mistake. From what I had known only the Stanley Cup winners got paid, but from looking at the latest information, you are right that they get playoffs shares, as they go along. However, to my point of my post, not all players are going to make the playoffs, so the majority of the players are going to be getting paid less, if you cut down the number of regular season games.