• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Another idea for GM's - Shorten Season to 70-74 games

Rate this topic

Looks like I made a mistake. From what I had known only the Stanley Cup winners got paid, but from looking at the latest information, you are right that they get playoffs shares, as they go along. However, to my point of my post, not all players are going to make the playoffs, so the majority of the players are going to be getting paid less, if you cut down the number of regular season games.

.....and I can't confirm nor deny, but this very well could have been the way the league handled it in the past. I'll have to do some digging.

A few less games might be of benefit if they were replaced with something else. I always thought the NHL needed some more interesting things going on during the season...the Winter Classic is a great addition to the long regular season. I would like to see something like...the Victoria Cup played some other time than the preseason (nobody cares then!), and the World Cup of Hockey is something the NHL, since they organize it, should actually be used to benefit the game.

Or just forget the shortened season. Maybe an Original Six mini-tournament over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend? Or not even an Original Six match, maybe some classic rivalries on a rotating basis. Winner would get some kind of old trophy from years gone by, I'm sure the HHOF has loads of those. Have it be 8 teams with 1 game elimination. All games would be nationally broadcast, during prime viewing hours, and the tournament would have some clever name. And yes these would be regular season games. Winner could be visitor at the next season's Winter Classic?

In a lot of ways I'd rather see an 86 game more balanced schedule. Each team could play each of their conference rivals 4 times and the 15 teams from the opposite conference twice each season. That way every superstar visits every arena in the league at least once.

14*4=56

15*2=30

Total = 86

This way the schedule is 'more' balanced, which helps the pairity in the league, you introduce more superstars to all markets and there is no significant advantage to being in weak divisions such as the southwest.

Downside is more travel as West Coast teams now see the East Coast more often and the vice versa. Although considering how screwed the Wings have been since the East and West Conferences were introduced that would also level the playing field. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous it is come playoff time that the Wings are in the West and what an added fatigue factor there is when they draw an opponent like Anaheim or San Jose

In a lot of ways I'd rather see an 86 game more balanced schedule. Each team could play each of their conference rivals 4 times and the 15 teams from the opposite conference twice each season. That way every superstar visits every arena in the league at least once.

14*4=56

15*2=30

Total = 86

This way the schedule is 'more' balanced, which helps the pairity in the league, you introduce more superstars to all markets and there is no significant advantage to being in weak divisions such as the southwest.

Downside is more travel as West Coast teams now see the East Coast more often and the vice versa. Although considering how screwed the Wings have been since the East and West Conferences were introduced that would also level the playing field. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous it is come playoff time that the Wings are in the West and what an added fatigue factor there is when they draw an opponent like Anaheim or San Jose

I agree partly with your post. I would like to have a schedule where every team plays a home and home. My suggestion would be that Detroit would play each team out of it's division twice, and division teams 8 times. That way you still have an 82 game schedule.

Division 4 teams x 8 games= 32

Rest of league 25 teams x 2 games=50

That way, you would keep the rivalries, and close travelling, but would still be able to see all of the teams. This would benefit the Wings, as they wouldn't have to travel to the west coast as much.

As to your point about playoffs. I agree with you that it sucks how we always end up playing west coast teams, while the east has it pretty easy.

My solution would be that the NHL go back to the early 1980s, and make the playoffs a 16 team tournament. Which ties in with the more balanced schedule I have suggested. That way, 1 would play 16, and so on. It would make the playoffs more interesting, and even have some east coast/west coast matchups. Division winners would get the top 6 positions, followed by the next best 10 teams in points. With a more balanced schedule, there would be less complaining about a team fighting for the final playoff berths, seeing they played each time at least twice.

I don't like the thought of a shortened season, cuz I already don't get enough. Get rid of half of the preseason, keep the regular season the way it is, shorten the playoffs. For the playoffs, I would suggest cutting by half the number of teams that now make it in, or shortening series to best of 5.

I don't think shortening the season is going to go very far because of the payday issues.

Here's one schedule system I have thought of. First, take away two preseason games. Second, each season randomly place teams into five 'groups' of six teams.

Teams will play six games (3H, 3A) against each division opponent -24 total.

Teams will play two games (1H, 1A) against all other opponents - 50 total.

Teams will play two additional games (1H, 1A) against each team in their 'group' - 10 total.

Such a system would also allow for rivalry scheduling, such as "Detroit and Toronto are always placed in the same group" and things like that.