• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Wings Claim Drew Miller on Waivers from Tampa

Rate this topic

I absolutely can't stand Holland's distaste for physical players. Kris Newbury is leading the team with 10 points, has some fights, and plays physical every game. What gives? We sign this guy?

Because Holland hates you and wants to make you suffer greatly.

And it's working.

Can you say SPEED???

SPEED

SPEED

SPEED

SPEED

SPEED

SPEED

SPEED

Holland does NOT have a distaste for physical players. The problem is that most fighters are SLOW!!!! And one of the reasons why there are so many injuries is because of SPEED.

Miller provides the Wings with the TWO most important assets that others do not provide....... SPEED and a TWO-WAY contract.

Wings penalty kill stinks..... Miller is a good penalty killer and a good defensive forward.

It seems that all anyone cares about or pays attention to is goals...... Well, now that Datsyuk and Zetterberg don't have to play extra minutes killing penalties maybe they will be the ones to put in the goals that everyone so badly wants, since they can now spend more time on offense...... that's what they are paid for. Miller at $525,000.00 is not being paid to be in goals.

Edited by Icesurfer

I absolutely can't stand Holland's distaste for physical players. Kris Newbury is leading the team with 10 points, has some fights, and plays physical every game. What gives? We sign this guy?

Because he wants those guys in GR developing and at the same time wants to maintain the ability to use the healthy scratch, that sounds kinda crazy but it seems like the most logical reason.

Between this and the goalie stuff in GR i have no idea what's going on in Holland's head.

I bet you were clamoring for Darryl Bootland to be here the last few years too. How's he doing over in Europe?

It just gives us more depth, and stacks the team up down in Grand Rapids. Im all for it, he is pretty solid defensively, and is fast. He could put on some more weight, which im sure he will. 6'2 170 is slim, especially for an NHL'er.

This. Holland's philosophy is that competition brings out the best players... apparently he wants to extend that competition down to GR's forwards too. GR's defense has good competition among the rookie d-men (with Pyett pulling away from his peers and playing better than Kindl right now), but their isn't a ton of competition for forward spots, especially in among the top 6.

Wings claim Miller off waiversFourth-year forward played in 14 games with Tampa Bay this seasonWednesday, 11.11.2009 / 12:23 PM / News By Bill Roose - DetroitRedWings.com Managing Editor DETROIT --

Miller will be expected to add some offensive depth to the Wings who have been bitten by early-season injuries to Johan Franzen (ACL), Valtteri Filppula (wrist) and Jason Williams (fibula), who will miss significant time.

HAHA.

Edited by VM1138

Guest Crymson
Then why pick him up? He's getting paid $500,000. You do realize that's steep for a guy of his caliber.

Either you're kidding around or you're talking out of your arse in a hilariously officious manner.

Only one person under contract to the Red Wings last year made under $500K, and that was Randall Gelech. Who, you ask? Exactly.

I guess I don't understand what the problem is. Is it that people just have to be pissed off about something? The Wings got Miller for NOTHING. Well, other than if there is a waiver fee.

Nobody is suggesting that Miller is going to be another Yzerman or something. But the guy has good speed, has played in the Stanley Cup finals before and is not only pretty versatile, but cheap. If he doesn't make it in Detroit whats the big deal? I seem to remember about 16 years ago the Winnipeg Jets gave up on a speedy/versatile forward and the Wings got him for $1. Kris Draper had scored a grand total of 3 goals and 0 assists in 20 games over parts of 3 seasons for Winnipeg before the Wings got him. Drapes came to the Wings and found a home.

Miller may never end up being another Draper, but these are the kinds of moves that Detroit has become famous for. It just seems more times than not they find a little magic.

After all it isn't like Kenny Holland deserves any kind of break. It's not like the Wings have won 3 Stanley Cups with him as GM or something. Lets all just keep bashing Holland about what a crappy GM he is because he just went out and picked a guy off waivers that cost the team nothing. :rolleyes:

Guest Shoreline
Classic Holland. Ignore your hardworking minor leaguers and pick up a guy that has zero points in 14 games. Lovely.

getabrainmorans.jpg

^-- Yeah! You tell 'em ESAD.

I bet you were clamoring for Darryl Bootland to be here the last few years too. How's he doing over in Europe?

Actually he's closer than you think... He's playing for Kalamazoo in the ECHL

Excuses...

Eaves - has another leg to skate on

Filppula - tape the stick to his hand and let him block shots

Franzen - has another leg to skate on

Lebda - what else is new - turnoveritis

Lilja - vacation is over

May - pirates wear eye patches and go to work, why can't him

Williams - at least he did not injure his face

:thumbup: i like.

Just as a follow up to the posts in this tread I thought I'd add an article that brings a bit more perspective on just what the team expects from this kid:

Red Wings claim forward Drew Miller off waivers

By Ansar Khan

November 11, 2009, 2:18PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Having played with Drew Miller in Anaheim, Brad May and Todd Bertuzzi put in a good word for him to affirm the opinion Detroit Red Wings scouts had of the former Michigan State standout.

Needing to add forward depth to their injury-depleted roster, the Red Wings claimed Miller off waivers Wednesday from the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Miller, 25, is a defensive forward, a good skater and a penalty killer who has struggled this season. Detroit general manager Ken Holland said Miller will compete for a job on the third or fourth line.

"He'll be on the ice (Thursday morning for practice), then it's up to (coach) Mike Babcock to determine when, if and how much he's used," Holland said.

Miller had no points, two penalty minutes and a minus-3 rating in 14 games for the Lightning. He has 15 points (six goals and nine assists) in 67 NHL games.

"He's been around the NHL, knows what the league is about," Holland said. "We've got some kids in the system. If we have any more injuries, I'm hoping to move in players who've played in the league."

Miller is in the final year of his contract ($525,000), a two-way deal.

"(May and Bertuzzi) gave him strong endorsements and our video coach (Keith McKittrick) has been involved with him (at MSU)," Babcock said. "They all thought he was a player who was intelligent, could play all parts of the game and it would be a boost to our team. He can play the game offensively and defensively and he can skate, so he should help us."

Miller played in all 13 playoff games for the Ducks last season, including the seven-game, second-round series against the Red Wings. He joined the Lightning in the offseason.

"He's a really good player," May said. "He's as responsible of a player that I played with. He's got a good pedigree, too."

Miller is the younger brother of Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller and the cousin of former Red Wings forward Kevin Miller.

Miller was named Michigan State's MVP in 2005-06 and was selected as the CCHA's best defensive forward. Miller and Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader played together for one season at MSU.

"It's a good opportunity for him. I can imagine how thrilled he is coming back to his home state," Abdelkader said. "He's a really good skater, good defensive player, blocks shots, does a lot of little things to help the team win."

This should help counter that tool-bag E_S_A_D's drivel.

I'm quite positive about this signing....costs us nothing, looked like a decent 4th liner in the playoffs, has shown a bit more offensive potential earlier in his career, so if he fits could become a 3rd liner..has good speed and defensively responsible. At worst, he gets sent down or claimed, and at best he provides depth which allows us to send gatot down when everyone else is fit.

exactly the kind of move i make on EHM from time to time....