• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

For as bad as the Wings have been...

Rate this topic

Despite being only a sliver above .500 and it being close to Thanksgiving, the Wings are still in pretty good shape. San Jose is currently 1st in the league with 28 points from 19 games. That makes them 4 games ahead of us with a potential difference of 8 points, which leaves them with a raw 3 point advantage. Sure, 8 points has certainly been a difficult feat for the Wings to take home in a 4 game span, but all things considered its insane that parity (and injuries this year, as well) has been able to influence the league to where dismal play doesn't really get punished to the degree it used to.

Thoughts?

I agree...amazing the parity.

However, IMO- it's not were we are now...it's where we are headed with the injuries and not getting some of our top/better guys back till after the New Year. This is what is making me a bit nervous (not panicked like some though). I believe Ozzie will be the most important factor in where we will be in the standings come Jan 1. I believe we are one bad stretch away from Ozzie from being in a very, very bad situation as far as making the playoffs. However, IMO...if we can get the team to March in good standing (playoff wise), we could and should be a major force to be reckoned with in the playoffs and Franzy and Fil coming back.

I have faith in the later-

Despite being only a sliver above .500 and it being close to Thanksgiving, the Wings are still in pretty good shape. San Jose is currently 1st in the league with 28 points from 19 games. That makes them 4 games ahead of us with a potential difference of 8 points, which leaves them with a raw 3 point advantage. Sure, 8 points has certainly been a difficult feat for the Wings to take home in a 4 game span, but all things considered its insane that parity (and injuries this year, as well) has been able to influence the league to where dismal play doesn't really get punished to the degree it used to.

Thoughts?

Be gone! Logic has no place on this board!

This board needs to be full of PANIC and trade *INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE* or it's *INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE*'s fault threads after every single loss!

:blush:

Dats and Z seem to be really getting comfy with the new linemates, not that they are not used to swapping linemates by now, but they are showing signs of comfort.

Dats and Z getting to know their linemates and vice versa is bad news for other teams.

What makes Dats so damn amazing is once he gets the feeling for a guys tendencies or where he likes the puck it seems to almost always be there.

Look at the last homer wrister from dats. (Last one I can remember rather, missed a couple of games latley).

Dats feeds a no look pass right on the tape of Holmer, I mean right where Holmer likes it, he burries it. And Z to a slightly lesser extent can do the same. (very slightly, I am a HUGE fan of both of them, not a Dats is way better than Z or Z blows dats out of the water guy. I can like the whole team still right?)

Big Bert is around the net, he is due for a break out, it is going to happen, Leino should he has really improved his D, imo, Cleary is still Dan Cleary what can you say about the guy that doesn't end o rbegin in "All Heart".

This team will pull it together, the D is still tops in the league (on paper) Ozzie is a very good to great goaltender still, everyone has funks, hell the whole team was in one, but when you make a mistake and it ends up in the back of the net every time (as usually happens with netminders, no dig on Ozzie there) it is really easy to blame that guy.

It has been done before, even by the Wings, but most recently by the Pens, with parity a bad start is not nearly the crippling factor it used to be.

if you take out the crappy sweden games, the wings have been 8-3-3 since. that record isn't too shabby. and if they kept that up for the rest of the year would still end with 108 or 109 points. also the team managed to score 9 goals last night without filppula, franzen, and williams! for all the whining people did about losing hossa, hudler, and sammy, the wings have still managed to score pretty well.

thanks to last nights outburst, the wings are back up to 7th in the leagues in goals/game. also, as i mentioned, even with the sweden games in there, the wings are 12th in the league in points/game. so the situation IMO opinion is not that dire. if anything, we just need to continue to get our defensive game together. i think we are around 21st in goals allowed per game. thats just not going to cut it long term with all of our injuries.

All the Wings really need is a good winning streak and they should be alright, especially if a few of the teams above go on losing streaks or struggle. I have faith they will climb the standings, but they need to start winning now. Hopefully the Columbus game is a harbinger of things to come.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The Wing's record is misleading. Yes at one point we were 3-4-3, but if you took away the two pseudo exhibition games in Sweden, and turned the 3 OTL's into the wings that they could have eavisly been and we would have had a 6-2 record. Regardless of what some person tells you, the Wings are a lock to make the playoffs, Devellano just had to say lower expectations because it's a win win for the fan-manegement relationship. If we do go far in the playoffs the wings will have "overcame their horrific start", and if the Wing's did do less then expected well at least they called it.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
The Wing's record is misleading. Yes at one point we were 3-4-3, but if you took away the two pseudo exhibition games in Sweden, and turned the 3 OTL's into the wings that they could have eavisly been and we would have had a 6-2 record. Regardless of what some person tells you, the Wings are a lock to make the playoffs, Devellano just had to say lower expectations because it's a win win for the fan-manegement relationship. If we do go far in the playoffs the wings will have "overcame their horrific start", and if the Wing's did do less then expected well at least they called it.

Guest Lidstromboli

the hurricanes' record is misleading

take those 15 losses and turn them into wins and they have 34 points! wowza!

The theme for this year will be INCONSISTENCY.

The Wings are dealing with fatigue from playing 11 of 12 possible playoff series over the last 3 years, the "hangover" from the trip to Sweden, a higher rate of roster turnover than usual, and key injuries early in the season.

We will see games like Toronto and Columbus all season long. We'll ride waves of overconfidence and incredible frustration. Ozzie will be a god, he'll be the worst goalie ever. The Wings will be brilliant, they'll be awful. They could win the conference, they could miss the playoffs. They'll end up somewhere in between.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

So you're saying that 2 shootout losses and an overtime game that only went there due to a bad call late in the third weren't easily winnable games? :rolleyes: