• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/12 GDT: Canucks 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

This was the kind of game that makes me love hockey. Great intensity throughout, players skating and forechecking hard, excellent goaltending, the occasional after the whistle scuffle and even a Brad May donnybrook. I thought Eaves, Helm, and Abs looked great, they were all over the place hitting anything that moved. I don't need a bunch of goal scoring to be entertained; I'm more than content with a 3-1 outcome in a game like this.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

Should we decide to overlook that abortion of a game in Toronto

I think you just have to chalk that one up as a fluke, Wings were tired or something.

Great game last night, perfectly executed back to back win.

Its funny in previous years I almost expected the Wings to win 99% of the time, this season with everything that has gone on I really appreciate each game and victory. In a weird way it has made regular season games more fun.

It's awfully quiet here in Vancouver ... :D

I love it when the Wings take it to the Canucks !!

Afterwards, even Luongo had to give Kudos for Z's winning goal.

In pregame, Luongo said, 'Yah, I'm looking forward to coming back and having Holmstrom drape all over me for 60 mins' ... :lol:

Oh, this is a GOOD day.

What I've noticed about Bert in the offensive zone is primarily his questionable decision making. He just looks lost when he has the puck sometimes. Instead of driving to the net he goes to the side, he either waits too long to shoot or he shoots it too early and when he makes a pass it is when the recipient is covered or to their off hand. He used to rely on his brute strength in front of the net. I don't believe thinking the game through at high speed and accurate shot placement are his forte so I doubt if he ever completely returns to his old form.

Thankfully we don't need Bertuzzi to be his old self. His old self was the best power forward in the league, and a 100 point player. We just need him for 15-20 goals, and solid effort. Which he is succeeding in at least in my opinion.

Thankfully we don't need Bertuzzi to be his old self. His old self was the best power forward in the league, and a 100 point player. We just need him for 15-20 goals, and solid effort. Which he is succeeding in at least in my opinion.

Exactly and he is playing better than 15-20 goals, he just has nothing to show for it!

He has played very very well just not getting the lucky bounce, a lot of posts or just misses.

Zetterberg's goal was a thing of beauty. Howard was solid... Wow! I hope he keeps it up. Drew Miller had a solid game and got some SOG. He showed he is a solid PKer and Babcock has faith in him obviously, he was out there on Datsyuk's line near the end of the game to help hold the lead. That means Babcock has faith in this kid. Miller is also a guy that can put the puck in net even though he didn't break out yet, I have a feeling he will.

Played great, and controlled his rebounds well. The goal was a fluke deflection that he had no chance on. A+ performance.

While he did a very good job at stopping the shots, Howard's rebound control was awful; the defense did a wonderful job clearing them away.

As far as the goal, that was not Howard's best moment. Howard was halfway out of the crease at the top of the semicircle when there was a Vancouver forward, Mason Raymond, down low. Take another look at the replay. The puck deflects off Raymond's skate, yes, but it is BEHIND Howard at this point. Had Raymond been in a position to receive a pass instead, he has a wide open net. Howard should have been back in his crease where he belonged. If that happens, Howard has an easy stop. Howard is definitely playing better, but he still needs work on his rebound control and his positioning as I have said before.

However, if Ozzie is still out sick for next game, I would like to see Larsson in.

While he did a very good job at stopping the shots, Howard's rebound control was awful; the defense did a wonderful job clearing them away.

As far as the goal, that was not Howard's best moment. Howard was halfway out of the crease at the top of the semicircle when there was a Vancouver forward, Mason Raymond, down low. Take another look at the replay. The puck deflects off Raymond's skate, yes, but it is BEHIND Howard at this point. Had Raymond been in a position to receive a pass instead, he has a wide open net. Howard should have been back in his crease where he belonged. If that happens, Howard has an easy stop. Howard is definitely playing better, but he still needs work on his rebound control and his positioning as I have said before.

However, if Ozzie is still out sick for next game, I would like to see Larsson in.

That's what goalies do... when the puck is 60 feet out, you get on top of the crease to cut down their shooting angles. I'd rather him be out on top, aggressively facing the shooter, than sitting back in his net passively. I'm not going to blame Howard for an accidental deflection off of a skate.

That's what goalies do... when the puck is 60 feet out, you get on top of the crease to cut down their shooting angles. I'd rather him be out on top, aggressively facing the shooter, than sitting back in his net passively. I'm not going to blame Howard for an accidental deflection off of a skate.

He was too far out, though. It's the same thing as a forward not being in a shooting position in the offensive zone. A goalie should be out and challenging, but he shouldn't be TOO far out. Just like a forward should always be in a shooting position ready to receive the puck and immediately put it on net.

Oh yes - Stuart and Kronner were very good tonight. Plus, if I don't notice Brett Lebda, then he is doing his job as the 6th man.

Brett actually had some nice moments especially in defense of the puck.

He was too far out, though. It's the same thing as a forward not being in a shooting position in the offensive zone. A goalie should be out and challenging, but he shouldn't be TOO far out. Just like a forward should always be in a shooting position ready to receive the puck and immediately put it on net.

My take is that this commentary borders on nit-picking. Maybe it's because I'm so grateful he's playing so well and consistently for a young'n. And yeah, the rebounds are not a real good thing, but if it makes our boyz stay near the net ready to move the puck away then that's not all bad.

I'm sure you wouldn't have made that mistake.

I'm sure you wouldn't have made that mistake.

I may have. I may not have. But either way, I'm not a goaltender. I also am not playing for the Wings after having several years of training and development within the organization. I am not an elite hockey player by any means, but if there is one thing I do absolutely excel at it is positional play, and by extension defensive play.

Regardless, I don't see how whether I would have made that mistake affects the fact that Howard shouldn't have, and that it's something he needs to learn from and improve upon if he wants to stick around.

there is absolutely no need to overanalyze every allowed goal and make them as shining examples of players incapability.

Stuff happens.errors happen. Sometimes saves are lucky( as was Howards save from breakaway, it deflected from him to post), sometimes you're making right decision put puck still stumbles in from weird bounce, etc...

I dislike winning as they did it at last night. Luck was on their side, it is nice bounus to have but I'd preferr sound gameplan instead of holding your breath because of my boys do not touch puck approximately minute or so.

Red Wings was dominated, I do not like it. I do not like it at all. I do not care that it was back to back game, I'm simply tired of excuses.