493 replies to this topic

#481 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

It's awfully quiet here in Vancouver ... biggrin.gif
I love it when the Wings take it to the Canucks !!
Afterwards, even Luongo had to give Kudos for Z's winning goal.
In pregame, Luongo said, 'Yah, I'm looking forward to coming back and having Holmstrom drape all over me for 60 mins' ... laugh.gif
Oh, this is a GOOD day.

#482 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

What I've noticed about Bert in the offensive zone is primarily his questionable decision making. He just looks lost when he has the puck sometimes. Instead of driving to the net he goes to the side, he either waits too long to shoot or he shoots it too early and when he makes a pass it is when the recipient is covered or to their off hand. He used to rely on his brute strength in front of the net. I don't believe thinking the game through at high speed and accurate shot placement are his forte so I doubt if he ever completely returns to his old form.
If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#483 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Thankfully we don't need Bertuzzi to be his old self. His old self was the best power forward in the league, and a 100 point player. We just need him for 15-20 goals, and solid effort. Which he is succeeding in at least in my opinion.

#484 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Carman @ November 13, 2009 - 06:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully we don't need Bertuzzi to be his old self. His old self was the best power forward in the league, and a 100 point player. We just need him for 15-20 goals, and solid effort. Which he is succeeding in at least in my opinion.

Exactly and he is playing better than 15-20 goals, he just has nothing to show for it!

He has played very very well just not getting the lucky bounce, a lot of posts or just misses.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#485 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

Zetterberg's goal was a thing of beauty. Howard was solid... Wow! I hope he keeps it up. Drew Miller had a solid game and got some SOG. He showed he is a solid PKer and Babcock has faith in him obviously, he was out there on Datsyuk's line near the end of the game to help hold the lead. That means Babcock has faith in this kid. Miller is also a guy that can put the puck in net even though he didn't break out yet, I have a feeling he will.

#486 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ November 12, 2009 - 10:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Played great, and controlled his rebounds well. The goal was a fluke deflection that he had no chance on. A+ performance.

While he did a very good job at stopping the shots, Howard's rebound control was awful; the defense did a wonderful job clearing them away.

As far as the goal, that was not Howard's best moment. Howard was halfway out of the crease at the top of the semicircle when there was a Vancouver forward, Mason Raymond, down low. Take another look at the replay. The puck deflects off Raymond's skate, yes, but it is BEHIND Howard at this point. Had Raymond been in a position to receive a pass instead, he has a wide open net. Howard should have been back in his crease where he belonged. If that happens, Howard has an easy stop. Howard is definitely playing better, but he still needs work on his rebound control and his positioning as I have said before.

However, if Ozzie is still out sick for next game, I would like to see Larsson in.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#487 Wombat

Wombat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ November 13, 2009 - 03:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While he did a very good job at stopping the shots, Howard's rebound control was awful; the defense did a wonderful job clearing them away.

As far as the goal, that was not Howard's best moment. Howard was halfway out of the crease at the top of the semicircle when there was a Vancouver forward, Mason Raymond, down low. Take another look at the replay. The puck deflects off Raymond's skate, yes, but it is BEHIND Howard at this point. Had Raymond been in a position to receive a pass instead, he has a wide open net. Howard should have been back in his crease where he belonged. If that happens, Howard has an easy stop. Howard is definitely playing better, but he still needs work on his rebound control and his positioning as I have said before.

However, if Ozzie is still out sick for next game, I would like to see Larsson in.

That's what goalies do... when the puck is 60 feet out, you get on top of the crease to cut down their shooting angles. I'd rather him be out on top, aggressively facing the shooter, than sitting back in his net passively. I'm not going to blame Howard for an accidental deflection off of a skate.

#488 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Wombat @ November 13, 2009 - 04:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what goalies do... when the puck is 60 feet out, you get on top of the crease to cut down their shooting angles. I'd rather him be out on top, aggressively facing the shooter, than sitting back in his net passively. I'm not going to blame Howard for an accidental deflection off of a skate.

He was too far out, though. It's the same thing as a forward not being in a shooting position in the offensive zone. A goalie should be out and challenging, but he shouldn't be TOO far out. Just like a forward should always be in a shooting position ready to receive the puck and immediately put it on net.

#489 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (clutchngrab @ November 13, 2009 - 02:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes - Stuart and Kronner were very good tonight. Plus, if I don't notice Brett Lebda, then he is doing his job as the 6th man.

Brett actually had some nice moments especially in defense of the puck.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#490 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ November 13, 2009 - 05:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was too far out, though. It's the same thing as a forward not being in a shooting position in the offensive zone. A goalie should be out and challenging, but he shouldn't be TOO far out. Just like a forward should always be in a shooting position ready to receive the puck and immediately put it on net.

My take is that this commentary borders on nit-picking. Maybe it's because I'm so grateful he's playing so well and consistently for a young'n. And yeah, the rebounds are not a real good thing, but if it makes our boyz stay near the net ready to move the puck away then that's not all bad.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#491 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ November 13, 2009 - 04:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you wouldn't have made that mistake.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#492 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

coulda shoulda woulda

Posted Image

#493 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ November 13, 2009 - 05:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure you wouldn't have made that mistake.

I may have. I may not have. But either way, I'm not a goaltender. I also am not playing for the Wings after having several years of training and development within the organization. I am not an elite hockey player by any means, but if there is one thing I do absolutely excel at it is positional play, and by extension defensive play.

Regardless, I don't see how whether I would have made that mistake affects the fact that Howard shouldn't have, and that it's something he needs to learn from and improve upon if he wants to stick around.

#494 hokike

hokike

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

there is absolutely no need to overanalyze every allowed goal and make them as shining examples of players incapability.

Stuff happens.errors happen. Sometimes saves are lucky( as was Howards save from breakaway, it deflected from him to post), sometimes you're making right decision put puck still stumbles in from weird bounce, etc...

I dislike winning as they did it at last night. Luck was on their side, it is nice bounus to have but I'd preferr sound gameplan instead of holding your breath because of my boys do not touch puck approximately minute or so.

Red Wings was dominated, I do not like it. I do not like it at all. I do not care that it was back to back game, I'm simply tired of excuses.

Crosby’s frustration level seemed to reach a boiling point in the final seconds, leading to him cross-checking Zetterberg in the back in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard(notes).

“I knew it was him without turning around,” Zetterberg said.