• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thedatsyukian

Patrick Eaves Watch Thread.

Rate this topic

The point of what I was saying was in reference to if the line could be kept together and how it would work with ppl coming back so me sayign Franzen isnt back until March when he could be back in January is irrelevant.

Also, I do agree the Wings would be better with Filppula on the third line instead of the second but when Filppula is back and Williams and Franzen are out it would be very difficult to have Fils on the third line while keeping Draper - Helm - Eaves in tact as the fourth line. The only way that could be accomplished would be to move ABdelkader/Maltby/May/Miller up onto the third line.

Ssee what I'm getting at? Obviously once everyone is back, whether that be January or March, the obvious move is to make the Draper - Helm - Eaves line our fourth. But we're talking about what happens when Filppula comes back...and then when Williams comes back.

Get it?

The context in which you stated Franzen would be back in March isn't the point. I was simply correcting the timeline for the sake of clairifying things with respect to his injury.

As far as what the temporary lines are when only Filppula's back... well that's tough. Obviously someone will have to sit. Babs likes Filppula as a centre, so he might end up moving Helm to the 3rd line wing and having Filppula centre that line. That or he'll put all the lines in the blender. The big problem is that the chemistry might be ruined if that line is broken up for a few months.

The context in which you stated Franzen would be back in March isn't the point. I was simply correcting the timeline for the sake of clairifying things with respect to his injury.

As far as what the temporary lines are when only Filppula's back... well that's tough. Obviously someone will have to sit. Babs likes Filppula as a centre, so he might end up moving Helm to the 3rd line wing and having Filppula centre that line. That or he'll put all the lines in the blender. The big problem is that the chemistry might be ruined if that line is broken up for a few months.

The chemistry is exactly the problem. That's why I was saying the only way to maintain as much of the current chemistry as possible would be if Leino didnt work out long term on the second line. But even then it still screws with everything.

I really think the bigger issue is goign to be when Williams comes back. Right now our third line is producing some poitns, they have great speed, forecheck like crazy, can defend and are probably our toughest line to play against in a lot of regards. When Williams comes back and most likely ends up as part of a third line combination we instantly lose a lot of those qualities.

But if Franzen is able to come back sometime in january, right around when Williams makes his return, that would make the whole situation that much better. Instantly we could shift our current third line to our fourth and try to use Williams in a manner where his lazy defensive play doesnt hurt us. If he's matched with some scorers it might work out a ltitle better. In some ways I'd almost like to see lines like:

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Leino - Zetterberg - Cleary

Williams - Filppula - Franzen

Draper - Helm - Eaves

that way every line has a net pressence, a shooter and a passer. Then obviously it's a free for all come PP and PK time.

The chemistry is exactly the problem. That's why I was saying the only way to maintain as much of the current chemistry as possible would be if Leino didnt work out long term on the second line. But even then it still screws with everything.

I really think the bigger issue is goign to be when Williams comes back. Right now our third line is producing some poitns, they have great speed, forecheck like crazy, can defend and are probably our toughest line to play against in a lot of regards. When Williams comes back and most likely ends up as part of a third line combination we instantly lose a lot of those qualities.

But if Franzen is able to come back sometime in january, right around when Williams makes his return, that would make the whole situation that much better. Instantly we could shift our current third line to our fourth and try to use Williams in a manner where his lazy defensive play doesnt hurt us. If he's matched with some scorers it might work out a ltitle better. In some ways I'd almost like to see lines like:

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Leino - Zetterberg - Cleary

Williams - Filppula - Franzen

Draper - Helm - Eaves

that way every line has a net pressence, a shooter and a passer. Then obviously it's a free for all come PP and PK time.

I like those lines but I'd switch Cleary for Franzen... I really like Cleary on the 3rd because of the grinding presence he provides and his ability to score with any linemates.

Eaves is a beauty.

He's fast, physical, VERY responsible defensively, good on the PK and also, perhaps something which isn't recognsied as much as it should be, his shot is really underrated.

Was pumped when I heard he signed here and am so glad he's found his role and that the fans are beginning to appreciate him as a player.

My thoughts?

Get a haircut!

Actually, I'd had hoped Eaves would improve (most high draft picks at least have that), but I definitely would not have bet he would have been as productive so far as he has been.

I like those lines but I'd switch Cleary for Franzen... I really like Cleary on the 3rd because of the grinding presence he provides and his ability to score with any linemates.

Yeah I guess you could switch Franzen and Cleary. Obviously my preference would be for Franzen to be in the top 6 but I just left them as is to make the point about chemistry. It's just a shame because anytime I look at any number of potential line combinations no matter where I fit Williams in I feel like the line will be slow, lazy and will turn the puck over....and I've been impressed with Williams production and play up until his injury.

It's also s***ty that once FIl, Williams, and Franzen come back from injury we won't see too much of Maltby, Abdelkader, Miller, and May as I think they've all had their moments where they've looked good.

I was very excited when Holland picked up Eaves, I felt he would be the perfect success story... and so far my feelings have been warranted. I have the same feeling about Drew Miller. I think he's going to be another Success story. Where's the "Drew Miller Watch Thread"? :)

Eaves is the new Red Wings poster boy ......LOL.

Homer-Datsyuk-Franzen is a line that will produce big time!

Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino is a good skating line..... has done very well since Williams left the line..... In fact Cleary finally scored once Williams went down.

Draper-Helm-Eaves..... The DHE Express line..... love the speed .. they should stay together no matter what.

Wiliams-Filppula-Bertuzzi ...... The Fil Out Line ..... the line necessary to fill out the roster because Holland couldn't find anyone else better.

We are going on the fourth year on having Filppula on this team. He is paid way too much for what he has contributed so far. I think he will forever be a "potentially" good player. If you look at players like Leino, Helm and Eaves and think what they will be like in four years..... who would you rather have? I will tell you one thing ..... all three of them after their first 3 years will have more shots at the net than Filppula! After 3 years and 1 month Filppula has geled with NO ONE!

One of the factors I use to judge a lines effectiveness is how long can they keep the puck in the offensive zone. Right now the DHE Express line is by far the best at doing that. It is not uncommon to see them spend the entire 45 seconds in the offensive zone. Whatever line Williams was on it was one shot and 10 seconds and you are done. And also Bertuzzi had the same problem. And Filppula is forever making very bad passes..... because that is what he mostly does..... PASS! And Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino have been the second best line in keeping the puck in deep for longer period of time.

Edited by Icesurfer

From what I've seen lines are gonna be freakin tuff once we have a healthy roster (good for the playoffs though, plenty of rested players on hand) Some players have looked really good and others have gone un noticed or noticed for the wrong reasons!

Bertuzzi•Dats•Homer

Leino•Z•Cleary

Franzen•Flip•Abby/Williams

Draper•Helm•Eaves/May/Maltby

I think these lines makes us pretty scary, these still don't look right but I think our first lineis looking great, Z, Leino and Clears appear to have something as well. Last year Franzen and Flip had Awesome chemmy going in the playoffs so put them with Abby or Willy , all the while flipping mule, Bert and Leino around the horn.

I had a good feeling about Eaves right from the get-go. Maybe it was just the way Cleary worked out for us. I can see Eaves being a guy who works himself onto the 3rd line, even with a healthy line-up. He's RFA at the end of this season too, so I hope they choose to retain him. I can't see any reason they wouldn't. He's the exact kind of play the Wings need for the bottom 6 of their forward corps. Speed kills my friends.

Another solid game, love him.

8-2-1 with Eaves in the line-up. :)

Obviously he's riding the current hot streak but we've all got to admit, he's had his hand in some big plays for the Wings. I think we shoudl all be extremely happy with his play thus far