• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thedatsyukian

Patrick Eaves Watch Thread.

Rate this topic

Eaves became my hero tonight. He was laughing his ass off as he went down in to the boards. Looked up at the ref to see him laughing. I bet that was a long skate by the Preds bench lol. :clap:

srv0000007962187.jpg

Eaves takes less, but it pays off

Sunday, April 4, 2010

— DETROIT

Patrick Eaves had all the makings of being a top six forward in the league.

Today, he's grinding it out on the Red Wings' third line.

And that's just fine with him since the real reason he even signed this past offseason with the Wings was just to get a chance — a chance to show the rest of the league that he can still play hockey.

"This organization gives players opportunities to play with confidence," Eaves said. "You go out, work hard and the opportunity will come."

Eaves, who was drafted in the first round by the Ottawa Senators in 2003, signed a one-year deal with Detroit worth $500,000, making him the lowest paid forward on the team.

But Eaves didn't come to Detroit for the money. He came to Detroit for an opportunity.

"He was looking for an opportunity," general manager Ken Holland said. "We've had some success with players coming into here who were looking for an opportunity.

"Everybody hopes you can get a Dan Cleary," Holland added. "He's a player that fit our system. He's got skill. We've got a comfortable environment in our locker room that has been a good fit for other players looking for an opportunity."

With the freakish amount of injuries at the beginning of the season that sidelined a majority of the Wings' top forwards, Eaves got his opportunity.

"It was very unfortunate what was going on earlier in the year," Eaves said. "I didn't seem like there was a minor injury at all. Every one of them seemed to last four to six weeks."

With the rash of injures, Eaves, who was a Hobey Baker Award finalist in 2005, saw his ice time go up. But along the way he also had to transform his game to become more of an all-around type of hockey player.

Entering his rookie season, Eaves was an offensive-minded player. He's turned into a checker that has a knack of killing off penalties.

"The more I kill penalties, I enjoy it," Eaves said. "It's a lot of fun getting in the way of the other team's power play."

He also has quite a reputation for getting in the way of 100 mph slap shot from the point.

"They don't feel good," Eaves said. "It's a part of killing penalties. I get as much padding in the way as possible. And with how guys shoot the puck these days, it goes right through. You always hope it grazes off you and then deflects into the corner. The ones that hit you dead on, they tend to leave the bigger welts. "

With his play on the penalty kill, Eaves has taken over the role that Kris Draper had become known for doing best.

"Drapes been right on my side the whole time since training camp," Eaves said. "He's made it possible for me to be playing the way I am right now. I can't thank him enough for what he's done for me. He's a great friend. You just relax and play and don't worry about anything else.

"This locker room is full of leaders," Eaves added. "It's a credit to guys like Drapes, (Nicklas Lidstrom), (Brian Rafalski) and (Chris Osgood). You see players in the past that have found a spot here. It's because of them."

That's just what Eaves has done, making his choice to come Detroit a good one. He'll reap the benefit with his next contract.

Despite Eaves' recent success on the ice, you won't find him beginning to feel comfortable anytime soon. Injuries have hounded him throughout his career and until this season, he could never seem to find the right fit within an organization.

"You don't ever want to feel comfortable," Eaves said. "I don't think about it. I go out and play and have fun. That's what this team is all about, going out having fun and competing. That's what makes teams successful."

After spending three seasons with the Senators, he played his next two in Carolina. The Hurricanes then traded Eaves, along with a fourth-round pick to Boston. The Bruins then placed Eaves on waivers before buying out his contract to make him an unrestricted free agent.

In swooped the Red Wings.

Thus far, Eaves' choice to sign for less has worked out for him and the Red Wings, making him more valuable than a top six forward.

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/04/04/sports/srv0000007962187.txt

Eaves plays with so much heart. He really seems like he has a lot of fun being out there on the ice. I would love for him to be resigned along with Helm and Miller.