• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Miller Brew

Chicago chants "Detroit Sucks" when Hawks play other teams?

Rate this topic

Did you know Chicago chants "DETROIT SUCKS" when the Hawks are playing other teams? The Detroit Red Wings are not even in the building, why would they do this?

9. Don't chant "Detroit Sucks" if the Wings aren't in the building : This was totally acceptable when the Hawks were awful. Now that they're contenders, save the vitriol for the Wings. It makes us as a fan base look jealous and inadequate.

Source: s***cagonow

Personally, I think it's really classless to chance "insert.name.here sucks" chants no matter what teams are playing. I would never participate in this *if* it sparked at the Joe. Though I can't recollect "sucks" chants happening at the Joe....

I agree about the "___ Sucks" chants. I wish American sports had more creative chants. But seriously, Chicago just has issues. That guy said it's not okay anymore now that they don't suck? It wasn't okay when they sucked, either. Regardless of their skill level it still makes the fans look like jealous kids with an inferiority complex.

But hey, the Central Division (St. Louis and Chicago especially) have really bizarre obsessions with the Wings.

they're far from the only team to do that.

I can think of instances where the stars and that avs have done it over the years as well.

I agree with VM about the "jealous kids with inferiority complexes." Good description.

And meanwhile, the Avs' fans even spend money on t-shirts saying "Detroit Sucks" - which only serves to shout to the hockey world about their inferiority complex. That's the idiocy of it.

Hawk fans are just mad because Chicago is "Little Detroit" with all the Detroit Tigers & Wings fans walking the streets as well the many Detroit bars all around the neighborhoods.

Edited by Jwo

That's ridiculous if it's true. Everything about their fanbase and rituals is so kitschy. They try to call it tradition but the only constant tradition with the Blackhawks is losing. Of all their "traditions", the screaming during the national anthem, "Detroit Sucks", etc., Chelsea Dagger is the worst, That song totally sucks, and they need to fire their in house DJ for coming up with that bulls***.

Hey, fellas. They probably chanted b/c the arena posted scores from other games including the red wings. I've seen this happen a million times at Nationwide Arena whether or not the wings win or lose. If Detroit is mentioned by the arena announcer the chant begins immediately. I think it's funny, they're totally jealous and will take a stab at the best team in the last 20 years whenever they can because other teams would kill to be as successful. So come on lighten up, it has nothing to do with "class." it's a good ribbing is all.

Guest Lidstromboli
Of all their "traditions", the screaming during the national anthem, "Detroit Sucks", etc., Chelsea Dagger is the worst, That song totally sucks, and they need to fire their in house DJ for coming up with that bulls***.

as if they actually play good music at the joe

as if they actually play good music at the joe

I used to be the biggest critic of the Joe's music, but I've learned to just deal with it. I'm so used to the same songs that I can just ignore it now. At least they don't play the same song after every goal.

lol @ everyone taking this seriously

They're just goofy chants in light of the rivalries throughout the league. I always just considered them a part of their tradition just like any other chant. But leave it to people on this board to get butthurt over it. :rolleyes:

Seconded. While Detroit 1-ups them in hockey right now, they could being saying far, FAR WORSE things. I can find 1000 different things more important to get worked up about instead of this.

Eh we are a few weeks away from displacing them and taking our rightful spot on top of the division...we will see who sucks then.

Season record:

Wings 1-0-0

you can beat the rest of 'em but until you win a series I'm okay.

Wings won season series last year...Wings won playoff series last year.

Wings Winning season series through 1 this year.

Go WINGS!!!

lol @ everyone taking this seriously

They're just goofy chants in light of the rivalries throughout the league. I always just considered them a part of their tradition just like any other chant. But leave it to people on this board to get butthurt over it. :rolleyes:

Who is getting all butthurt about it?

I really can't stand this... Colorado fans are probably the worst too... this is really classless. This is something that has never happened at a Wings game, or any other Detroit sporting event of my memory... I guess people in Detroit are just above that. Colorado does it during the pregame, even before the national anthem. It is truely classless... if you don't like the Red Wings, then beat us... don't chant "Detroit Sucks" like a bunch of *******, actually grow some balls and beat us.

my two cents.

yeah really...next time go along with everyone else on here..dont' have your own opinion on something related to hockey. geez its a forum where you speak about things related to hockey...

i want to know what buttburnt is anyways? i have never seen someone get that. is there a cream for that?

Me, I am extremely butthurt because Chicago (and other teams) chant "_____ SUCKS". BTW, butthurt is an outdated form of expression. It's funny to see people still use it. I'd bet the people who say it wear bleached jeans, high-tops and have a mullet hair style. ;)

I don't really care what fans of opposing teams have to say about us during games. Oh wow, they're chanting "Detroit Sucks". I root for the Yankees....if I can take what I hear about them during games, I can take what Hawks fans have to say about the Wings.

Frankly, I think "Detroit Sucks" is horribly and tragically unoriginal and therefore, boring.

Actually it has nothing to do with the fact that red wings have been better than the hawks over the last 15 years. The chant started out as "Dino Sucks" after Dino Ciccarelli had a controversial hit on a Blackhawk and changed to detroit Sucks after he left in 96 I believe it was. The chant is detroit Sucks not Red Wings suck. Any knowledgeable fan knows they don't suck. It also has alot to do with, since Chicago was terrible for the latter part of the 90s and 2000s, detroiters would dominate the United Center and believe me, your fans are absolutely the most obnoxious fans Ive ever witnessed in any sport. That is why Hawk fans felt the need to chant detroit sucks.

Chicago is "Little detroit"? The ridiculousness of that comment is overwhelming. This is precisely why Chicago hates detroit. You actually think your city can hold a candle to Chicago.

"Frankly, I think "Detroit Sucks" is horribly and tragically unoriginal and therefore, boring." What do you suppose could be a more creative chant? Its a chant, it has to be short and sweet. I think it gets the job done.

"Chicago fans are no doubt the worst fans in the league." Coming from a detroit fan, that doesn't mean much considering the rest of the country knows your fans are the worst next to NY and Boston.