• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

I read an article on Puck Daddy today (Link) about the suggestion by Atlanta to change shootouts (which is absolutely ridiculous, but makes sense when your team only has one player who can shoot rolleyes.gif ) . It basically did nothing but remind me of the fact that I hate shootouts.

Shootouts are an unfair means of ending a fair and close game.
It promotes overpayment for a few star players rather than a balanced roster. In my opinion some teams use it to their advantage and try to get ties purposely against tough opponents. The NHL doesn't have the star power to support it either, especially since they focus their ads on a small handful of the whole.

• Ram likes this

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#2 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Agree. Shootouts were made for the new generation hockey fan. It's not hockey.
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Functionally its absolutely terrible, but its entertainment value is close to unbeatable.
  • Ram likes this

#4 TheWestWing

TheWestWing

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Echolalia @ November 16, 2009 - 02:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Functionally its absolutely terrible, but its entertainment value is close to unbeatable.

Nope. A penalty shot is entertainment - the shootout is the Amerikan 'philosophy' that 'somebody must win'.....
  • Ram likes this

#5 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (TheWestWing @ November 16, 2009 - 05:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. A penalty shot is entertainment - the shootout is the Amerikan 'philosophy' that 'somebody must win'.....

Are you saying that when everyone is the building is standing from their seats and cheering their heads off during every single shootout attempt and hanging on who gets the extra point the crowd isn't entertained?

#6 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Three point games are a load of crap, we need to go back to there being ties again.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#7 BobRouse03

BobRouse03

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

I always thought the shootout was a joke. I know there are fans that like it, but I am not one of them. I have Center Ice and whenever a game goes to shootout I turn it off. I would just as much like to see a two man potato sack race to determine which team gets the extra point. Actually I always thought it would be more entertaining for the home team to determine which NHL skills event to use to determine the winner. Talk about home ice advantage...your loaded with guys with hard shots so you select the hardest shooter comp. You have fast skaters so you select some guys to do laps and time them. Hey its just as silly and arbitrary as the shootout so why not? I would love to have a team full of defensemen that can skate around cones to get an extra point in the standings.

#8 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Shootouts are great for entertainment. Who doesn't like to see sick moves? However, sports should not be about entertainment. Sports should be about passion for the game. Do any of us consider pro wrestling a sport?

A shootout competition during the All Star Weekend is a good idea because it's fun to see. But I don't like the idea of a team winning a hockey game in a way that didn't even involve playing hockey.

#9 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ November 16, 2009 - 06:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shootouts are great for entertainment. Who doesn't like to see sick moves? However, sports should not be about entertainment. ...

Heh, that sounds funny considering that professional sports exist solely because of their entertainment value.

But I agree, it's a dumb way to settle a game, especially with the practically pointless 5 minute OT preceding it.

#10 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

I say we stick to endless overtime. Playoff hockey baby!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 royedwards

royedwards

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Wow, I thought I was the only one who hated the shootout! It would make more sense to decide the game with a fight between the goons from each team. Fans would really get into that.

#12 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

I hated the shootout at first, but it can be very exciting (or depressing, depending on how the Wings do). I don't really care if they keep it. There are many more things that have watered the game down more than the shootout, imho. The point that some teams will merely play keep-away in overtime just to get to the SO stinks. I think a win should be 1 point...anything else is 0 points. That'll make em play like it matters.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#13 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

I personally hate the shootout, but if I were in charge of hockey I would keep them -- they definitely add entertainment value and keep fans in the stands.

Edited by egroen, 16 November 2009 - 06:21 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Gordie Howe hat trick @ November 16, 2009 - 05:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Three point games are a load of crap, we need to go back to there being ties again.

No, no no, ties are the worst.

Shootouts are horrible ways to end games, I agree, but ties were even worse. I think the points system should be simplified to no points for an OT loss. You either win or you lose.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ November 16, 2009 - 06:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally hate the shootout, but if I were in charge of hockey I would keep them -- they definitely add entertainment value and keep fans in the stands.

it makes perfect sense for the regular season, ties are stupid and serve no purpose...

HOWEVER

I HATE a team game being decided by individuals and I think there should be more incentive to winning the game the way it is suppose to be played... with that said, I think ALL games should be worth 3 pts and I think overtime needs to be tweaked....

If a tie after regulation - 4 on 4 for 5 minutes.
If a tie after the first OT - 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes.

If there is STILL a tie... then a SO - FOR REG SEASON ONLY - Playoffs - play until someone wins

Win in regulation or OT - 3pts
Win in SO - 2 pts
Loss in SO - 1 pt

grand total of 3 pts for every game, if you don't win it in reg or OT, you actually lose a pt you could have won in OT - more incentive to win in reg or OT

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (E_S_A_D @ November 16, 2009 - 06:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree. Shootouts were made for the new generation hockey fan. It's not hockey.

Actually I tend to disagree...Being a longtime Wings fan, and fan of the game - I gotta admit I don't mind watching regular season games end up with a winner due to the shoot-out.

I loath the idea of a tie, and IMHO throughout the 90's, and up until the 2004 season - most teams appeared to coast thru the 5 min O.T. with neither team giving the extra effort to win, nor did they want to lose so both teams did just enough to secure the tie thumbdown.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ November 16, 2009 - 07:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like fights the shoot-out gets the fans outta their seats, and making noise.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#18 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

I like the shootout rule. The way I see it is if you don't want to lose a point to a skill competition, bring your skill to the 65 minutes preceding the shootout.

#19 blankrap

blankrap

Rookie

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (CaliWingsNut @ November 16, 2009 - 05:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion some teams use it to their advantage and try to get ties purposely against tough opponents. The NHL doesn't have the star power to support it either, especially since they focus their ads on a small handful of the whole.

Name a team that has not tried to score the game winning goal in order to get it to the shootout? That logic is just silly.

#20 ManLuv4Clears

ManLuv4Clears

Tough As Nails

• Gold Booster
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Throw me into the hate shoot out crowd. I'll take ties all day long over that side show. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss. Very simple.