• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I hate shootouts

Rate this topic

I like shootouts, I like the 1-on-1 battles. I'd consider moving it to 5 shootout opps. IMO, 3 is just to little, but that's not too big of a deal.

The problem is the point system for losing in a shootout or overtime.

Why should you get rewarded for losing a game? You certainly aren't rewarded for losing in overtime during the playoffs.

Zero points for a loss in regulation, overtime, or a shootout, no ifs/ands/buts.

One points for a shootout win.

Two points for an overtime win.

Three points for a regulation time win.

I don't mind shootouts in the regular season, but would like to see a change in the point system. As long as shootouts stay the hell away from playoffs it's fine. Have to sacrifice a little tradition in order to expand the fan base.

Wait... to the OP

Are you suggesting that teams actually TRY to be tied at the end of the game because they have good shootout shooters?? So teams will purposely try NOT to win the game in regulation or overtime, due to the chance that they are better in the shootout one night?

I'd like a clearer explanation of this theory please....

I think what the poster was trying to say is that some teams play very conservatively in OT (or late in tied games). Trying not to lose, believing they have a better chance if they can get to the shootout.

Personally, I prefer ties. I'd go one 20 minute OT, 4 on 4. That much time and that much ice, I'd think you'd see fairly few ties. However, I'd settle for a 10 minute OT with the shootout, 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss. That at least would get teams to play with more intensity.

While i dont love the point system now, I really have not heard one suggestion that is BETTER than the current format. I'm all for extending OT to ten minutes and the shootout to 5 shooters. Some of these suggestions here (no offense folks) were just absurd. The system cannot be too confusing or it simply wouldnt work.

I do know this: When the wings ARENT playing, and I'm watching some 2 random teams play, I always get excited when it goes to the shootout. I know its not real hockey and not team hockey, etc. But it IS exciting to watch.

While i dont love the point system now, I really have not heard one suggestion that is BETTER than the current format. I'm all for extending OT to ten minutes and the shootout to 5 shooters. Some of these suggestions here (no offense folks) were just absurd. The system cannot be too confusing or it simply wouldnt work.

I do know this: When the wings ARENT playing, and I'm watching some 2 random teams play, I always get excited when it goes to the shootout. I know its not real hockey and not team hockey, etc. But it IS exciting to watch.

I too agree. I love watching OTHER Teams in the shoot out. I like when they go more then 5 skaters each side. It showcases the goaltenders. I love it.

pretty much agreed with this post

and guys with the point system there is at the moment, you have to agree that the race for a playoff spot at the end of every season is very exciting and brings out great hockey

i'm not sure what/how i would change things.. i would probably keep it the way it is now. maybe extend the OT to 10 minutes

I love shootouts... so entertaining... everyone stands up hoping to score a goal then hoping for a save I love them... whevener I see any game has gone to a shootout on nhl.com I always tune to it via gamecenter no matter who is playing.

Edited by Duck Guy

I love shootouts... so entertaining... everyone stands up hoping to score a goal then hoping for a save I love them... whevener I see any game has gone to a shootout on nhl.com I always tune to it via gamecenter no matter who is playing.

I do the exact same thing :)

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm sorry for the confusion, and my absence from the conversation.

I'm not meaning teams specifically go out and head for the tie.

What I do think is some of the lower ranked (desperate) teams do is go for the tie in close games, because it's a guaranteed 1 point, and possibility of 2. It'll get close, and it'll be nothing but a trap game till the shootout.

It turns the game into surviving 60 minutes for 1 point, then buying the second.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest Shoreline

I never liked ties, but I never liked shootouts. It sucks that games are so close together, cuz honestly I see no reason why we should expect anything less than continuous OT til somebody scores.

Or we can get some middleground and go with something I suggested before, which is an extended overtime before shootout. 10 mins? 20 mins? Anything is better than 5.

So you people are saying you'd rather have ties than shootouts?

Why?

Ties are much more bullcrap than a shootout. I don't think anyone tells stories about how exciting the tie was the night before. The shootout is a quick way to handle ties during the regular season, as opposed to Sudden Death (which I know we'd all like) that would make games way to long throughout the season. If shootouts existed in the playoffs, they'd be retarded, but they don't. They don't decide the Stanley Cup, so why hate them?

To clarify, teams don't intentionally "not win" in OT so they can go to a shootout. But I wouldn't be surprised if a coach instructed his team to avoid getting scored on at all costs in order to make it through 5 minutes and get to a shootout, if that team has skilled shooters and a capable netminder.

Then again, Minnesota employs that strategy for 60 minutes anyways, so it can't be that bad.

I consider myself a hockey purist, but I'm sold on the shootout.

Also, the point system the way it is now, is fine by me too.

It's a shame, in my opinion, that people can't just sit back and enjoy the game. It's a shame that people want to keep tinkering with the game. It's a shame that we're still discussing this.

I don't like shootouts either but I am resigned to the fact they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Personally, regular season games should be played like playoff games. You play until someone wins. If it takes 6 OTs, then so be it.

Also, no points should be awarded for a loss, whether it comes in OT or a shootout. To quote Gene Wilder, "You LOSE. You get NOTHING." Why should a team that couldn't win in regulation be rewarded for not winning in regulation? It's asinine.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't have a clear answer for what should happen myself.

I'm ok with ties though, as long as its with (as shoreline mentioned) a longer OT.

Some stats I cooked up.... (not alot here to base anything on, but anyways...)

00-01: 8.46 ties per team, yearly avg. (all years listed were 82 games, 30 teams)

01-02: 9.93

02-03: 7.73

05-06: 9.36

06-07: 9.30

07-08: 9.06

08-09: 9.04

Pre-shootouts, there were actually teams with only 1 tied game in a season.

Ari's going to be happy that his article has spurned such discussion.

As long as they leave OT alone in the playoffs I'm fine with it. Think there are some good suggestions. Wonder why the NHL isn't tinkering with it in the AHL or ECHL.

I've never liked the shootout either. I understand why there is a shootout, and I appreciate that games don't go on forever when there are potential back-to-backs, but they might as well just flip a coin as far as I'm concerned.

Its not nearly as exciting as the penalty shot its meant to mimic. Every shootout I leave feeling like someone came in when the game was going overtime and shut off the lights. Its made even worse by only having 3 shooters each, with really the possibility to win it after 2.

I never get the feeling something big is on the line in a shootout, every round is like a total crap-shoot. The goaltender and shooter might as well roll dice to see who wins each round: "Man! Great 6 by Ozzy! Pwn'd Toews with his 4! w00t!"

As long as they keep shootouts out of the playoffs, I'm satisfied.

That said, I hate ties more than shootouts, but I hate shootouts too, and I understand why they don't play until all hours of the morning when teams have planes to catch.

Not a serious thought here, but as I was reading it occurred to me:

What if they started OT with 5-5 and then dropped one player per team every 5 minutes until someone won, even if there was nothing left but the goalies to score on one another? Don't stop the play, just blow a horn and one from each team have to head to the bench or get a too many men call. It could get highly entertaining.

Like I said, it's not a serious suggestion, just one that made me laugh.

To clarify, teams don't intentionally "not win" in OT so they can go to a shootout. But I wouldn't be surprised if a coach instructed his team to avoid getting scored on at all costs in order to make it through 5 minutes and get to a shootout, if that team has skilled shooters and a capable netminder.

That seemed to happen for a decent stretch with Pittsburgh and Anaheim last season; seemed as though both teams were always going to shootouts. Whether that's definitive strategy or not, who knows (seems more likely with Pittsburgh than Anaheim)? I'm not a big fan of the shootout though. It's like turning the end of an NBA game into a free-throw contest or a MLB game into a home run derby. It ruins the whole "team sport" concept.