109 replies to this topic

#21 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (stevkrause @ November 16, 2009 - 07:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it makes perfect sense for the regular season, ties are stupid and serve no purpose...

HOWEVER

I HATE a team game being decided by individuals and I think there should be more incentive to winning the game the way it is suppose to be played... with that said, I think ALL games should be worth 3 pts and I think overtime needs to be tweaked....

If a tie after regulation - 4 on 4 for 5 minutes.
If a tie after the first OT - 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes.
If there is STILL a tie... then a SO - FOR REG SEASON ONLY - Playoffs - play until someone wins

Win in regulation or OT - 3pts
Win in SO - 2 pts
Loss in SO - 1 pt

grand total of 3 pts for every game, if you don't win it in reg or OT, you actually lose a pt you could have won in OT - more incentive to win in reg or OT

I agree with the OT like that! Forget the shootout! If it is still tied, then I could live with a tie! The shootout is pointless because a team could make or not make the playoffs based on something that has nothing to do with the playoffs!

I understand why the NHL brought the shootouts to the games because of the strike season. But the really need to reconsider the shootouts. Teams are being left out of the playoffs because they are not a good shootout team!

#22 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I say if a game ends in a tie, Pittsburgh gets another point.

Oh wait, I'm not Bettman. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Posted Image

#23 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Shootouts are to hockey, as steroids are to wrestling.
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#24 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Wait... to the OP

Are you suggesting that teams actually TRY to be tied at the end of the game because they have good shootout shooters?? So teams will purposely try NOT to win the game in regulation or overtime, due to the chance that they are better in the shootout one night?

I'd like a clearer explanation of this theory please....
Posted Image

#25 blankrap

blankrap

Rookie

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (hooon @ November 16, 2009 - 07:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait... to the OP

Are you suggesting that teams actually TRY to be tied at the end of the game because they have good shootout shooters?? So teams will purposely try NOT to win the game in regulation or overtime, due to the chance that they are better in the shootout one night?

I asked for the same thing... what a silly theory. Absolutely absurd.

#26 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Shootouts are the single greatest accomplishment of the NHL lockout... A game ending in a tie, no matter how good/entertaining it was, always left a bit of a sour taste.

I'm all for trying to improve and modify the points and/or overtime methods, but we can't go back to having ties. And in the end shootouts will be necessary because continuous OT during the season just can't be done because of TV schedules and such. Perhaps 3 on 3 continous OT would end games faster (after x amount of 4 on 4) but that would have to be experimented with.

One thing they need to do is increase the number of shooters to 5. Where did they get 3 from? Soccer does 5, International hockey does 5, AHL does 5... why did the NHL pick 3?

I'll never support shootouts in the playoffs however, nothing is better than a marathon playoff OT game.

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Here's a radical thought: What about a 6 minute OT, with the first 3 minutes a powerplay for the home team and the second half for the away team?

EDIT: But you play the whole 6 minutes, so it's like a shootout, but with the whole team in play, more fitting with "team sport."

Of course, this would only be in the regular season because it's a bizarre, radical twist. But it might work.

Edited by VM1138, 16 November 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

I like shootouts, I like the 1-on-1 battles. I'd consider moving it to 5 shootout opps. IMO, 3 is just to little, but that's not too big of a deal.

The problem is the point system for losing in a shootout or overtime.

Why should you get rewarded for losing a game? You certainly aren't rewarded for losing in overtime during the playoffs.

Zero points for a loss in regulation, overtime, or a shootout, no ifs/ands/buts.
One points for a shootout win.
Two points for an overtime win.
Three points for a regulation time win.

#29 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

I don't mind shootouts in the regular season, but would like to see a change in the point system. As long as shootouts stay the hell away from playoffs it's fine. Have to sacrifice a little tradition in order to expand the fan base.

#30 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

I vote for a tag-team cage match instead -- Captains and one player of their choice!
Is there any team Detroit could beat???
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#31 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (hooon @ November 16, 2009 - 08:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait... to the OP

I think what the poster was trying to say is that some teams play very conservatively in OT (or late in tied games). Trying not to lose, believing they have a better chance if they can get to the shootout.

Personally, I prefer ties. I'd go one 20 minute OT, 4 on 4. That much time and that much ice, I'd think you'd see fairly few ties. However, I'd settle for a 10 minute OT with the shootout, 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss. That at least would get teams to play with more intensity.

#32 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

While i dont love the point system now, I really have not heard one suggestion that is BETTER than the current format. I'm all for extending OT to ten minutes and the shootout to 5 shooters. Some of these suggestions here (no offense folks) were just absurd. The system cannot be too confusing or it simply wouldnt work.

I do know this: When the wings ARENT playing, and I'm watching some 2 random teams play, I always get excited when it goes to the shootout. I know its not real hockey and not team hockey, etc. But it IS exciting to watch.
Posted Image

#33 blankrap

blankrap

Rookie

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (hooon @ November 16, 2009 - 11:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While i dont love the point system now, I really have not heard one suggestion that is BETTER than the current format. I'm all for extending OT to ten minutes and the shootout to 5 shooters. Some of these suggestions here (no offense folks) were just absurd. The system cannot be too confusing or it simply wouldnt work.

I do know this: When the wings ARENT playing, and I'm watching some 2 random teams play, I always get excited when it goes to the shootout. I know its not real hockey and not team hockey, etc. But it IS exciting to watch.

I too agree. I love watching OTHER Teams in the shoot out. I like when they go more then 5 skaters each side. It showcases the goaltenders. I love it.

#34 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (hooon @ November 16, 2009 - 11:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pretty much agreed with this post

and guys with the point system there is at the moment, you have to agree that the race for a playoff spot at the end of every season is very exciting and brings out great hockey

i'm not sure what/how i would change things.. i would probably keep it the way it is now. maybe extend the OT to 10 minutes

#35 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

I think they should play at least 20 min of ot before shootout if they wanna do the shootout, or at least 10 min of ot, shootout is always boring after pavel has done his move
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#36 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:43 AM

I love shootouts... so entertaining... everyone stands up hoping to score a goal then hoping for a save I love them... whevener I see any game has gone to a shootout on nhl.com I always tune to it via gamecenter no matter who is playing.

Edited by Duck Guy, 17 November 2009 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#37 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Duck Guy @ November 17, 2009 - 12:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love shootouts... so entertaining... everyone stands up hoping to score a goal then hoping for a save I love them... whevener I see any game has gone to a shootout on nhl.com I always tune to it via gamecenter no matter who is playing.

I do the exact same thing smile.gif

#38 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:05 AM

I'm sorry for the confusion, and my absence from the conversation.

I'm not meaning teams specifically go out and head for the tie.
What I do think is some of the lower ranked (desperate) teams do is go for the tie in close games, because it's a guaranteed 1 point, and possibility of 2. It'll get close, and it'll be nothing but a trap game till the shootout.

It turns the game into surviving 60 minutes for 1 point, then buying the second.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 17 November 2009 - 02:07 AM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#39 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:16 AM

I never liked ties, but I never liked shootouts. It sucks that games are so close together, cuz honestly I see no reason why we should expect anything less than continuous OT til somebody scores.

Or we can get some middleground and go with something I suggested before, which is an extended overtime before shootout. 10 mins? 20 mins? Anything is better than 5.

#40 Datsasuk

Datsasuk

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:34 AM

So you people are saying you'd rather have ties than shootouts?

Why?

Ties are much more bullcrap than a shootout. I don't think anyone tells stories about how exciting the tie was the night before. The shootout is a quick way to handle ties during the regular season, as opposed to Sudden Death (which I know we'd all like) that would make games way to long throughout the season. If shootouts existed in the playoffs, they'd be retarded, but they don't. They don't decide the Stanley Cup, so why hate them?