• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I hate shootouts

Rate this topic

Shootouts are great for entertainment. Who doesn't like to see sick moves? However, sports should not be about entertainment. Sports should be about passion for the game. Do any of us consider pro wrestling a sport?

I disagree about sports not being entertainment... thats really the sole purpose of them... Not to mention they are trying to tack on a Luxuary/Entertainment tax to all sporting events.

You go drink booze, eat food, watch people on a stage... sounds to me like any other form of entertainment you pay to get into.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Shootouts are garbage.

The thing I dont like the most about them is that they f*** with records, i.e. Martin Broduer wins.

They need to go back to the 2 point system.

In no other sport that I'm aware of whether professional or otherwise, provides the LOSER of the game any points. With the possible exception of 5-YEAR-OLDS SOCCER!!! It's insane.

One thing I've never taken into consideration is the thing about teams purposely tying a game because they figure they'd have a better shot at winning in the SO, I've gotta say this makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

Guest CaliWingsNut
I've never liked the shootout either. I understand why there is a shootout, and I appreciate that games don't go on forever when there are potential back-to-backs, but they might as well just flip a coin as far as I'm concerned.

Its not nearly as exciting as the penalty shot its meant to mimic. Every shootout I leave feeling like someone came in when the game was going overtime and shut off the lights. Its made even worse by only having 3 shooters each, with really the possibility to win it after 2.

I never get the feeling something big is on the line in a shootout, every round is like a total crap-shoot. The goaltender and shooter might as well roll dice to see who wins each round: "Man! Great 6 by Ozzy! Pwn'd Toews with his 4! w00t!"

:thumbup:

I disagree about sports not being entertainment... thats really the sole purpose of them... Not to mention they are trying to tack on a Luxuary/Entertainment tax to all sporting events.

You go drink booze, eat food, watch people on a stage... sounds to me like any other form of entertainment you pay to get into.

I agree... I'm sure hockey players play for their hate of the game.

Although i am a fan of the Shootouts i also was watching the Leafs Caps game on CBC and Jim Hughson and the other analyst were talking about this minor league team that after the first overtime they play a second overtime which becomes a 3 on 3. To me that doesnt sound like a bad idea it will eliminate the shootouts and more likely may be more exciting then the shootouts. Do you guys agree?

Although i am a fan of the Shootouts i also was watching the Leafs Caps game on CBC and Jim Hughson and the other analyst were talking about this minor league team that after the first overtime they play a second overtime which becomes a 3 on 3. To me that doesnt sound like a bad idea it will eliminate the shootouts and more likely may be more exciting then the shootouts. Do you guys agree?

OT and shootouts are fine the way they are, although I wouldn't mind best-of-5 instead of just best-of-3. It's the points/standings for losing in OT or shootout that's the problem and silly.

It turns the game into surviving 60 minutes for 1 point, then buying the second.

The thing is... that was what the shoot out was added to erase.

It used to be teams would defend until OT, and just take the point.

Now they defend until the shoot out and get the point.

I like 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for SO win, 0 for ANY loss.

It's basically an all-star skill event that should in no way decide the outcome of a game. And because the league knows it's not a legit way to decide a game, they award the loser point.

I can't remember the stat, but this season a lot of games are going to a shootout. One of the goals was to make overtime actually relevant so teams would try and decide the game there. It's apparently not happening.

I say go to 10 minutes 4 on 4 overtime, no shootout. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and zero for losing. no pro sport should ever award points for losing.

The thing is... that was what the shoot out was added to erase.

It used to be teams would defend until OT, and just take the point.

Now they defend until the shoot out and get the point.

I like 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for SO win, 0 for ANY loss.

Yeah, but it's even more arbitrary for that. They only need to defend until OT starts to get the point. I thought 4 on 4 was great before they had shootouts...they should've made it longer or even looked at 3 on 3. People may laugh at that idea, but how is playing 3 on 3 hockey LESS representative of the actual sport than a shootout?

It's basically an all-star skill event that should in no way decide the outcome of a game. And because the league knows it's not a legit way to decide a game, they award the loser point.

I can't remember the stat, but this season a lot of games are going to a shootout. One of the goals was to make overtime actually relevant so teams would try and decide the game there. It's apparently not happening.

I say go to 10 minutes 4 on 4 overtime, no shootout. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and zero for losing. no pro sport should ever award points for losing.

Couldn't agree with this post more. :thumbup:

And it will turn overtime into a boring event because teams will not want to take any chances and lose that extra point.

Not good.

And it will turn overtime into a boring event because teams will not want to take any chances and lose that extra point.

Not good.

Except that's what's happening right now.

They've never given it a chance with 4 on 4 under the new rules, and for 10 minutes. I thought about no points for ties but that wouldn't be fair and would probably wreak too much havoc with the standings.

Obviously ties aren't the most exciting outcome, but it would preserve the integrity of the game and keep from inflating standings from the loser point.

I think the best way would be "endless" overtime until goal or overtime periods (like 10min or something) which end in the goal.

The biggest reason why shootout suck, is that too often you see teams playing great in the OT and you just see that if that continues they're gonna win it, but then the time runs out and the other team takes the victory in a shootout. Something just isn't right when that happens. The one team plays better hockey, but the other can still win it in this shootout gambling.

Guest CaliWingsNut

New idea...

Best of 5 - 5v5, no goalies, skate from bluelines for the puck resting @ center faceoff

New idea...

Best of 5 - 5v5, no goalies, skate from bluelines for the puck resting @ center faceoff

Welcome to Thunderdomeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

haha i think that might be to aggressive and cause to many injuries. why not just see how 4 0n 4 Ot works until we have a winner? opens the ice up for skaters, but wont come down to a skills competition, which i find dumb. I get the point of a shootout in that its suppose to be exciting but it just sucks to see teams that fights and scratches their way to a tie to get beat because they dont have players that focus on a 1 on 1 skill competition basis. I just dont see how that is a testiment of how a TEAM game should be determined.

Would i have a different opinion if the wings had a better Shootout record? Maybe. But i can definetly see both sides at this point.

The Wings are going miss the playoffs by 1 point, due to a shootout loss late in the season.

Shootouts are bad for the game. They need to be eliminated. At the very the least they should have a 10 min OT. Ideally, you would just play until someone wins. 5 on 5. No ties. No shootout. 2 points for the win, and 0 for the loss.

People might say that it is a problem because this could cause double OT games or something. Tough. They are pro-athletes. Do you want to win the game or not? Do you want 2 points or not?

Eliminate the shootout. Eliminate the 3 point system. Eliminate Ties. Restore the game of hockey.