• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:39 AM

To clarify, teams don't intentionally "not win" in OT so they can go to a shootout. But I wouldn't be surprised if a coach instructed his team to avoid getting scored on at all costs in order to make it through 5 minutes and get to a shootout, if that team has skilled shooters and a capable netminder.

Then again, Minnesota employs that strategy for 60 minutes anyways, so it can't be that bad.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#42 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

I consider myself a hockey purist, but I'm sold on the shootout.
Also, the point system the way it is now, is fine by me too.
It's a shame, in my opinion, that people can't just sit back and enjoy the game. It's a shame that people want to keep tinkering with the game. It's a shame that we're still discussing this.

#43 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

I don't like shootouts either but I am resigned to the fact they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Personally, regular season games should be played like playoff games. You play until someone wins. If it takes 6 OTs, then so be it.

Also, no points should be awarded for a loss, whether it comes in OT or a shootout. To quote Gene Wilder, "You LOSE. You get NOTHING." Why should a team that couldn't win in regulation be rewarded for not winning in regulation? It's asinine.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#44 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:18 AM

I don't have a clear answer for what should happen myself.

I'm ok with ties though, as long as its with (as shoreline mentioned) a longer OT.

Some stats I cooked up.... (not alot here to base anything on, but anyways...)

00-01: 8.46 ties per team, yearly avg. (all years listed were 82 games, 30 teams)
01-02: 9.93
02-03: 7.73

05-06: 9.36
06-07: 9.30
07-08: 9.06
08-09: 9.04

Pre-shootouts, there were actually teams with only 1 tied game in a season.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#45 WpgMikos

WpgMikos

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

Ari's going to be happy that his article has spurned such discussion.

As long as they leave OT alone in the playoffs I'm fine with it. Think there are some good suggestions. Wonder why the NHL isn't tinkering with it in the AHL or ECHL.

#46 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:16 AM

I will cry if they bring back ties... ties are full of fail
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#47 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (Duck Guy @ November 17, 2009 - 06:16AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will cry if they bring back ties... ties are full of fail

Ties are fine, hockey had ties for a hundred years and no one complained! tongue.gif

I am not particularly a fan of the shootout, but its continued existence is not something that causes me great anguish either, so I can deal.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#48 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

dugg for Brad May reference in article!
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#49 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

I've never liked the shootout either. I understand why there is a shootout, and I appreciate that games don't go on forever when there are potential back-to-backs, but they might as well just flip a coin as far as I'm concerned.

Its not nearly as exciting as the penalty shot its meant to mimic. Every shootout I leave feeling like someone came in when the game was going overtime and shut off the lights. Its made even worse by only having 3 shooters each, with really the possibility to win it after 2.

I never get the feeling something big is on the line in a shootout, every round is like a total crap-shoot. The goaltender and shooter might as well roll dice to see who wins each round: "Man! Great 6 by Ozzy! Pwn'd Toews with his 4! w00t!"

#50 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

As long as they keep shootouts out of the playoffs, I'm satisfied.

That said, I hate ties more than shootouts, but I hate shootouts too, and I understand why they don't play until all hours of the morning when teams have planes to catch.

Not a serious thought here, but as I was reading it occurred to me:
What if they started OT with 5-5 and then dropped one player per team every 5 minutes until someone won, even if there was nothing left but the goalies to score on one another? Don't stop the play, just blow a horn and one from each team have to head to the bench or get a too many men call. It could get highly entertaining.

Like I said, it's not a serious suggestion, just one that made me laugh.

#51 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

Well Ozzie has scored before, so we'd be good!
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#52 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (ComradeWasabi @ November 17, 2009 - 02:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To clarify, teams don't intentionally "not win" in OT so they can go to a shootout. But I wouldn't be surprised if a coach instructed his team to avoid getting scored on at all costs in order to make it through 5 minutes and get to a shootout, if that team has skilled shooters and a capable netminder.

That seemed to happen for a decent stretch with Pittsburgh and Anaheim last season; seemed as though both teams were always going to shootouts. Whether that's definitive strategy or not, who knows (seems more likely with Pittsburgh than Anaheim)? I'm not a big fan of the shootout though. It's like turning the end of an NBA game into a free-throw contest or a MLB game into a home run derby. It ruins the whole "team sport" concept.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#53 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (edicius @ November 17, 2009 - 11:36AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the end of an NBA game into a free-throw contest

An accurate depiction of the final two minutes of most basketball games. shifty.gif
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#54 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ November 17, 2009 - 10:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An accurate depiction of the final two minutes of most basketball games. shifty.gif

Touché . laugh.gif

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#55 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ November 16, 2009 - 05:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shootouts are great for entertainment. Who doesn't like to see sick moves? However, sports should not be about entertainment. Sports should be about passion for the game. Do any of us consider pro wrestling a sport?

I disagree about sports not being entertainment... thats really the sole purpose of them... Not to mention they are trying to tack on a Luxuary/Entertainment tax to all sporting events.

You go drink booze, eat food, watch people on a stage... sounds to me like any other form of entertainment you pay to get into.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#56 ZetterbergFourty

ZetterbergFourty

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

Shootouts are garbage.

The thing I dont like the most about them is that they f*** with records, i.e. Martin Broduer wins.

They need to go back to the 2 point system.

In no other sport that I'm aware of whether professional or otherwise, provides the LOSER of the game any points. With the possible exception of 5-YEAR-OLDS SOCCER!!! It's insane.

One thing I've never taken into consideration is the thing about teams purposely tying a game because they figure they'd have a better shot at winning in the SO, I've gotta say this makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

"When we've got the puck, they can't score." - Paul Coffey

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out!" - Rodney Dangerfield

"Get used to this phrase: how could both referees have missed that?" - Mike Brophy

#57 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (b.shanafan14 @ November 17, 2009 - 05:35AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never liked the shootout either. I understand why there is a shootout, and I appreciate that games don't go on forever when there are potential back-to-backs, but they might as well just flip a coin as far as I'm concerned.

Its not nearly as exciting as the penalty shot its meant to mimic. Every shootout I leave feeling like someone came in when the game was going overtime and shut off the lights. Its made even worse by only having 3 shooters each, with really the possibility to win it after 2.

I never get the feeling something big is on the line in a shootout, every round is like a total crap-shoot. The goaltender and shooter might as well roll dice to see who wins each round: "Man! Great 6 by Ozzy! Pwn'd Toews with his 4! w00t!"

thumbup.gif

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 17, 2009 - 09:19AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree about sports not being entertainment... thats really the sole purpose of them... Not to mention they are trying to tack on a Luxuary/Entertainment tax to all sporting events.

You go drink booze, eat food, watch people on a stage... sounds to me like any other form of entertainment you pay to get into.

I agree... I'm sure hockey players play for their hate of the game.

#58 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

Tonight win doesn't change this.

#59 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Shootouts are fine during regular season, I just dont wanna see it in playoffs.

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,661 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

I hate shootouts too.

I liked them at first, but now I wish the league would go back to 0 points for an OT loss system. Too many teams are taking advantage of this shootout crap.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.