• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I hate shootouts

Rate this topic

Well, somebody here had to be the odd jackass out, so it might as well be me. I gotta say, guys, I don't miss ties. Watching the World Cup this summer reminded me of this (of course, it wouldn't be quite as bad in hockey because you're less likely to have that extra-infuriating 0-0 score, but still, I like to come away from a game either gloating or sobbing, not feeling meh).

That said, I'm not a big fan of the shootout, either. I would at least like to see 10 minutes of OT before going to a SO. I don't care if they want to do that 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3 thing or what (I think leaving it 4 on 4 the whole time would be fine unless I'm missing something), but I definitely think there should be 10 solid minutes of actual hockey being played before they have to resort to the skills competition. And for God's sake keep it out of the playoffs.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Well, somebody here had to be the odd jackass out, so it might as well be me. I gotta say, guys, I don't miss ties. Watching the World Cup this summer reminded me of this (of course, it wouldn't be quite as bad in hockey because you're less likely to have that extra-infuriating 0-0 score, but still, I like to come away from a game either gloating or sobbing, not feeling meh).

That said, I'm not a big fan of the shootout, either. I would at least like to see 10 minutes of OT before going to a SO. I don't care if they want to do that 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3 thing or what (I think leaving it 4 on 4 the whole time would be fine unless I'm missing something), but I definitely think there should be 10 solid minutes of actual hockey being played before they have to resort to the skills competition. And for God's sake keep it out of the playoffs.

Not liking ties doesn't make you the "odd jackass out". I don't love ties either. I just hate shootouts more.

They focus on individuals to decide a team game.

They encourage mediocre teams to try and survive the OT to put their one or two star players on a pedestal instead of focusing upon winning as a team.

My personal opinion is that they skew the overall judging of teams, and I think recent rule changes reflect the NHL thinking the same.

<!--quoteo(post=1816902:date=November 16, 2009 - 06:21PM:name=egroen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (egroen @ November 16, 2009 - 06:21PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally hate the shootout, but if I were in charge of hockey I would keep them -- they definitely add entertainment value and keep fans in the stands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it makes perfect sense for the regular season, ties are stupid and serve no purpose...

HOWEVER

I HATE a team game being decided by individuals and I think there should be more incentive to winning the game the way it is suppose to be played... with that said, I think ALL games should be worth 3 pts and I think overtime needs to be tweaked....

If a tie after regulation - 4 on 4 for 5 minutes.

If a tie after the first OT - 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes.

If there is STILL a tie... then a SO - FOR REG SEASON ONLY - Playoffs - play until someone wins

Win in regulation or OT - 3pts

Win in SO - 2 pts

Loss in SO - 1 pt

grand total of 3 pts for every game, if you don't win it in reg or OT, you actually lose a pt you could have won in OT - more incentive to win in reg or OT

i've been saying this since the shootout came into the NHL. too many mediocre teams are getting free points to stay respectable in the standings. 3 point wins separates the teams that go for the wins and the teams that can't get over that hump and take the other team down.

Not liking ties doesn't make you the "odd jackass out". I don't love ties either. I just hate shootouts more.

They focus on individuals to decide a team game.

They encourage mediocre teams to try and survive the OT to put their one or two star players on a pedestal instead of focusing upon winning as a team.

My personal opinion is that they skew the overall judging of teams, and I think recent rule changes reflect the NHL thinking the same.

and then we have a team with 2 good players that get a bad wrap cause when their team makes it to the playoffs, they don't "step up" and win games for their mediocre team against the team that should be in the playoffs.

i like watching shootouts, but i'd rather not see the clingon team making the playoffs cause they win 15 shootouts, 28 reg season games and 10 OT/shootout losses instead of the team that goes 45-32-5

i've been saying this since the shootout came into the NHL. too many mediocre teams are getting free points to stay respectable in the standings. 3 point wins separates the teams that go for the wins and the teams that can't get over that hump and take the other team down.

I don't like the idea of 50 win teams having 150 points, just seems excessive. How about 2 points for a win, 1 point for a SO win, and 0 points for a loss. You lost, you get no points.

Are we sure that this isn't just coming out of the fact that Detroit stunk in the shootout last season?

Nope. I've never liked shootouts and thought they reeked of "gimmick". The fact we sucked so bad at it didn't help, but it didn't spur it on. You win as a team or you lose as a team, and shootouts are more about the individual than the team. Is it exciting to see Pavs deke some goalie out of their shorts? Yeah. Would I rather see him do it during the All-Star Game or some other exhibition game than a regular season game that has actual consequences? Yes. Because let's face it, for every Pavel Datsyuk, there's about 20 players who couldn't do that on their best day. It's not interesting. It's not entertaining.

Guest mjtm77

I like the shootout if you wanna win bring your A game in the 65 Mins of the actual game. Ties always bug me as I cant say my team won