• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CenterIce

Report: Toews, Kane and Keith close to extensions

Rate this topic

patrick-kane.jpg

It was an interesting read but I still don't udnerstand how Stan Bowman thinks this is all going to work. Obviously I don't have the same in depth udnerstanding of the cap as the Blackhawks do but somethign doesn't add up here.

Chicago's Cap Situation

With only 13 players signed to deals next year totalling $43.392M I don't udnerstand how they can afford these three RFAs. With about $13.5M in cap space they'll have to either make some trades or have these three sign discounted contracts.

I would imagine each of Toews and Kane would get at the very minimum $5.5M/year and Keith, again at the very minimum, $4.5M/yr.

More realistically I think Kane and Toews are looking at $6M/yr and Keith at $5M/yr.

How they will afford this is beyond me. They can't give these guys Hossa/Z like extensions, can they? They're so young, I can't see em locking them up for 13/14 years and then the latter 3 or 4 giving them only a million a year to kill the cap hit. This is interesting stuff.

Somethign has to give. Look at the rest of the free agents:

RFAs:

Patrick Kane

Jonathan Toews

Andrew Ladd

Ben Eager

Colin Fraser

Duncan Keith

Niklas Hjarlmarsson

Jason Hendry

Antti Niemi

UFAs:

John Madden

Adam Burrish

Andrew Ebbett

It'll definitely be itneresting to see how this all works itself out.

But, but, but...all the cap experts here said it would never happen.

I wonder how (un)friendly the cap hits will be and if they'll be able to keep Hjalmarsson too.

:rolleyes: Let's see the dollar values before you go and say the people who predicted this would doom them under the cap were right. Three top notch players mean nothing if the supporting cast is all AHL scrubs.

I agree that i always thought this would be unlikely. I assumed they would go for Toews and Kane, and a few months ago i would have thought Toews and Kieth for sure, but Kane has lit it up in the playoffs and has played well so far. I'm still not so sure this happens.

Even if they do sign all of three players, they will STILL be screwed. They are going to lose all of their depth players, which is what I think makes Chicago a dangerous team, not just the young scorers. They will become a team like Tampa, a team with one GREAT line, but absolutely nothing else.

I'm still under the assumption that Kane is vastly overrated in the league (even though I might retract that soon, as he is playing a heck of a lot better this season), and would personally opt to keep Toews and Keith and let Kane go.

I think the crackpot doomsday analysts are going to be sorely disappointed when the details of these contract extensions finally emerge. Is it a coincidence that all 3 extensions are being announced simultaneously? Perhaps, but unlikely. I would say that the Hawks management has likely been keeping all 3 parties in the loops in order to orchestrate a hometown discount by committee. I would not be surprised to see all 3 players come in significantly under their value. Something to the tune of Kane/Toews 4.5 hit and Keith 3.5.

Can Toews and Kane really demand in the area of $5M? Is it possible they will sign for much less than some people expect?

They can demand as much as $7m and if any of them is under $5.5m it is a huge deal for Chicago.

Unless they all sign for under $12m Chicago is going to have to trade away players now, because of the tag-up rule.

Maybe they have found a team Campbell would waive his NMC for? Probably have to send some picks along with him.

If they can not get rid of him, their bottom half is amongst the worst in the NHL.

:rolleyes: Let's see the dollar values before you go and say the people who predicted this would doom them under the cap were right. Three top notch players mean nothing if the supporting cast is all AHL scrubs.

Exactly. They are going to sign Toews and Kane and Keith because that will satisfy the fans. They will then have to dump their depth players and bring up some guys from the AHL.

Once again Chicago management is more worried about image than having a good hockey team.

So true look at Anaheim this year, the one line wonder of the league.... its a helluva line though.

I think the crackpot doomsday analysts are going to be sorely disappointed when the details of these contract extensions finally emerge. Is it a coincidence that all 3 extensions are being announced simultaneously? Perhaps, but unlikely. I would say that the Hawks management has likely been keeping all 3 parties in the loops in order to orchestrate a hometown discount by committee. I would not be surprised to see all 3 players come in significantly under their value. Something to the tune of Kane/Toews 4.5 hit and Keith 3.5.

If their three bgi RFAs were to sign for those amounts, listed above, that's the only way it could conceivably work without dishing away tons of other roster players. but seriously, I would be absolutely blown away if all three of these guys agree to udner market value contracts like this. Duncan Keith at $3.5M is insane. Both Toews and Kane could easily get $6M on the market. You think over an approximate 8 year deal each guy is going to leave $1.5M/yr on the table. They'd be leaving $12M on the table a piece. That's insane.

Can Toews and Kane really demand in the area of $5M? Is it possible they will sign for much less than some people expect?

Just look at comparable players around th leauge who are that age, produce the way they can and have the potential upside that they do. I think they could easily demand $5M/yr on long term deals.

They can demand as much as $7m and if any of them is under $5.5m it is a huge deal for Chicago.

Unless they all sign for under $12m Chicago is going to have to trade away players now, because of the tag-up rule.

Maybe they have found a team Campbell would waive his NMC for? Probably have to send some picks along with him.

If they can not get rid of him, their bottom half is amongst the worst in the NHL.

If Chicago is going to sign all three of these guys they're going to have to move ppl. Obviously it has greatly been discussed about but movign Campbell and Huet would be their first moves jsut because of the shear value of their contracts. If Campbell can be moved then they really have a shot, assumign they take back a contract that expires at the end of this season. If they can't move Campbell or Huet they are going to have to look to move players like Sharp, Versteeg and Byfuglien.

Maybe they trade Hossa if they win the Cup.

I think it would reflect very poorly on a team to sign a guy to a 12 year contract only to trade him away the next year even if they did win the cup. I think that would realyl hurt their chances of attracting UFAs in the future. Plus, then they'd be stuck with Kopecky without the bonus of having Hossa. Maybe you're right though, but I think it'd be a stretch

I don't get this. I'd be extremely surprised if Kane and Toews sign for less than 5 mil a year. Also, Campbell having a NTC could kill them (at least I think he has a NTC, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Exactly. They are going to sign Toews and Kane and Keith because that will satisfy the fans. They will then have to dump their depth players and bring up some guys from the AHL.

Once again Chicago management is more worried about image than having a good hockey team.

Who do you see them "dumping" that would have a huge impact on the team?

:lol:

Rumar has it Scotty/Stan has his roster for next year and its under the cap. Only few know exactly who is on it and it should be interesting to see what happens between now and the trade deadline.

You guys aren't worried about Chicago are you?

Edited by FIBS