Photo
- - - - -

Shanahan- Any Chance Wings Retire his #?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Gnredwing

Gnredwing

Biggest Wing Nut in NY

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Shanahan is obviously going to go into the hall of fame. Any chance you think the Wings will retire his 14 and raise to the rafters of the Joe. 3 stanley cups with the Wings, best seasons with the Wings, will that be enough?

#2 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

There's little to no chance his number gets retired, though he's a first ballot HHOFer for sure.

#3 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

highly doubtful, more than likely a definite no

Posted Image

#4 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

No, I don't think so. They've already let Meech take his number, and if you ask me, only the absolute no-brainers should go to the rafters at the Joe. Nick will be the next.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#5 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I'm gonna say its not enough. Statistically, he was more dominant before the Wings, but definitely is a Red Wing in the end. But retiring a player's number is the greatest honor you could give as an organization. I'd love to see Shanny get a jersey retirement ceremony at the Joe, but I don't think its possible.

#6 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Gnredwing @ November 17, 2009 - 04:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shanahan is obviously going to go into the hall of fame. Any chance you think the Wings will retire his 14 and raise to the rafters of the Joe. 3 stanley cups with the Wings, best seasons with the Wings, will that be enough?

Absolutely not.
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#7 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

No, that number belongs to Meech, and that will be the name in the rafters. Bank on it.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#8 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Gnredwing @ November 17, 2009 - 01:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely not, especially when you consider the number of ex-wings currently waiting to enter the HHOF.

Chelios and Ozzy are better picks than him for the rafters and I'm not sure either of those will see it.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 17 November 2009 - 04:49 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#9 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Not a chance. Sorry, we just don't retire the numbers of every player who won a bunch of rings.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#10 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

Heck Fedorov's won't be going to rafters, no chance for Shanny.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#11 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Shanny is without a doubt a hall of famer... but retire his number, seriously? There are about a dozen guys as deserving, or more deserving of that honor than him..

1. Lidstrom.. No brainer. After Lidstrom it gets into the less justifiable
2. Osgood.. Vast majority of his career with Wings, 2 cups as a starter, will probably be #1 in teams history in Wins department.
3. Federov.. 900+ points as a wing in 900+ games. 5th all time in team scoring behind Yzerman, Howe, Del, and Lids. 200+ more games than Shanny and well over 300 more points. Same number of cups, plus an MVP, and two Selkes.
4. Holmstrom... part of all 4 cups, first liner many times, entire career as a Wing, could finish career with 900+ games as a Wing.
5. Draper.. Not offensive, but 4 cups and 1000+ games as a Wing (every1 else with 1000+ has a retired jersey, or will). Top defensive forward, Selke winner, good enough of a player to represent Canada in the Olympics, so vastly underrated in terms of value to the team.
6. Then Shanny.
7. Maltby
8. McCarty
9. The new generation of Datsyuk and Zetterberg (whose stock will rise if they continue on with us, which it seems likely they will).

In my mind Shanny is quite low on the list of guys who deserve that honor. He played a long time here, was amazing, and will go in the Hall of Fame, but if you can justify his number being retired, then I don't see how Fed, Osgood, Holmstrom, or Draper can be left off the rafters. In my opinion, you give guys like this a nice plaque in the arena, put them in the team Hall of Fame or something, but retire their number? The franchise has been around since 1926 and in that time we've retired a mere SIX numbers (7 if you're counting Aurie). That's less than a guy per decade... and now you'd want to open the floodgates and diminish the honor for Shanny? A guy who played 716 games in a Wings uniform and score 633 points? That's impressive, but FAR from rafter worthy..... Now, if he was Ray Bourque tongue.gif

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild, 17 November 2009 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Dertz.LoL!

Dertz.LoL!

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Meech doesn't deserve to wear the 14.

Personally, I would love to see his number retire, but doesn't look like it. There are a few player out there ahead of him.

#13 ZetterbergFourty

ZetterbergFourty

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Dertz.LoL! @ November 17, 2009 - 05:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thumbup.gif
"When we've got the puck, they can't score." - Paul Coffey

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out!" - Rodney Dangerfield

"Get used to this phrase: how could both referees have missed that?" - Mike Brophy

#14 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

No Shanahan's number will not, Meech is already rocking the 14. Fedorov is my best bet. It's hard to believe no one would pick 91.

#15 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ November 17, 2009 - 03:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a chance. Sorry, we just don't retire the numbers of every player who won a bunch of rings.

NEWS ITEM - Canadiens to retire number of Emile Bouchard "as soon as we find out what it was," says Gainey.

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (drumnj @ November 17, 2009 - 05:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heck Fedorov's won't be going to rafters, no chance for Shanny.

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't be against putting 91 and 14 in the rafters, but understand why they won't be.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Dertz.LoL! @ November 17, 2009 - 05:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I'm surprised it only took a few seasons for them to put 14 back in circulation.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (CaliWingsNut @ November 17, 2009 - 04:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely not, especially when you consider the number of ex-wings currently waiting to enter the HHOF.

Chelios and Ozzy are better picks than him for the rafters and I'm not sure either of those will see it.

Chelios is not even remotely close to Shanahan. I would say Shanny and Fedorov are about tied, Osgood maybe after them, none will go up. Fedorov would have been a lock with Lidstrom had he played his whole career here.

Hopefully Datsyuk and Zetterberg play their whole careers here, they are both locks if they do.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#19 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Trapt1307 @ November 17, 2009 - 06:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chelios is not even remotely close to Shanahan. I would say Shanny and Fedorov are about tied, Osgood maybe after them, none will go up. Fedorov would have been a lock with Lidstrom had he played his whole career here.

Hopefully Datsyuk and Zetterberg play their whole careers here, they are both locks if they do.

I don't think anyone other than Lidstrom is going to be getting their number retired in the next few years, but Federov is far ahead of Shanny in terms of likelihood. As I said in my previous post, he had 200 more games than shanny in a Wings uniform, 300 more points, an MVP award, and two Selkes, plus the same number of cups. Few players can say they have accomplished all that in one uniform.

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild, 17 November 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#20 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, but Fedorov basically slapped the organization in the face when he left.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."