• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
XxGoWingsxX

This intent to whistle bs ....

Rate this topic

If they can disallow a goal for the ref supposedly INTENDING to blow the whistle, why don't the refs hand out penalties for late hits? What I mean is, say Player A is about to hit player B when the ref is thinking about blowing the whistle....player A lays player B out then the whistle goes right after....why doesn't the ref issue a penalty for a late hit? Does the intent to whistle rule only apply to goals? and why? If they're going to apply this rule to one part of the game, why not all? To me this makes it look like they give the ref that power only so that he can stop goals and not enforce other rules which is pure crap.

Campbell and Betteman are talking about this on XM now. Campbell went as far as to say that the official should have let the play go up to the booth (it's their call once they blow the whistle) but won't quite say it was really a bad call. Betteman is just hiding behind the 'intent to blow' thing. Rules or no rules, they had their chance to just admit this was one of those times that the wrong thing happened and they're just danced around it trying to justify the waived off goal.

Edit: They're acutally saying that the official lost site of the puck because ot was in the net and are backing it up. It kinda sounds like Campbell is trying to say it was a mistake but Betteman is double-talking around it.

Edited by StevieBoy

another question, why don't the refs hand out unsportsmanlike penalties for late shots?....i could go on and on but it seems as if this rule is only in place for goals, and if this intent to blow rule is going to be a rule...why not call it across the board penalty wise? Oh thats right, its because this rule is in place to allow the ref to call the game HIS way....not the way it SHOULD be called.

Campbell and Betteman are talking about this on XM now. Campbell went as far as to say that the official should have let the play go up to the booth (it's their call once they blow the whistle) but won't quite say it was really a bad call. Betteman is just hiding behind the 'intent to blow' thing. Rules or no rules, they had their chance to just admit this was one of those times that the wrong thing happened and they're just danced around it trying to justify the waived off goal.

Edit: They're acutally saying that the official lost site of the puck because ot was in the net and are backing it up. It kinda sounds like Campbell is trying to say it was a mistake but Betteman is double-talking around it.

Wow, just wow. thanks for the info man. It saddens me when my favorite league in the entire world is coming to this because of one squirrel looking, incompetent, power tripping man

also...that just sounds so wrong...he lost sight of the puck because it was IN THE NET...that right there is ADMISSION THAT THE PUCK WAS IN THE NET BEFORE HE EVEN INTENDED TO BLOW THE WHISTLE. Wow they just basically admitted they were wrong while trying to act like it was the right call.

Campbell came right out and said what the ref did was wrong - he should have conferred with Toronto, who then could have corrected him and ensured the right call was made.

Bettman then goes on to do a jig and pull the whole, "Well, we can't review every play" card.

That little man infuriates me.

The "intent to blow" rule does not even apply here. The refs blew the whistle because the play was dead, and they lost sight of the puck. THATS BECAUSE IT WAS IN THE GOD DAMN NET! That was total BS, I have never said anything like this before, but if the refs ever conspire against the Wings this is it right here. Total damn BS.

Simple solution. Introduce a challenge flag/signal/whatever like the NFL has. If its obvious, the coach can call a challenge and it will overrule the ref and go up to the video booth.

Not rocket science here....

Wow, just wow. thanks for the info man. It saddens me when my favorite league in the entire world is coming to this because of one squirrel looking, incompetent, power tripping man

Hey now, don't be insulting squirrels like that.

Per Mlive, from NHL Live:

"In this particular case, what would happen is we (in the league's video replay room in Toronto) would see the puck in the net and call the video goal judge and say, 'Please blow the horn and get the referee over here. We see a puck in the net that hasn't been ruled a goal. At that point the referee would come over and we would have the discussion. Usually the referees know exactly what's happening and they would come to us and say, 'Listen, I blew the whistle or my intent to blow the whistle was there. I've got this play dead before the puck crosses the goal line.' No more need be said. Once we hear that, basically video review is now out of the process. We step aside and say it's a call made on the ice and it's a non-reviewable call. It's a whistle blown by the referee and it was blown or the intent to blow it was before the puck crossed the goal line."

Can this be more idiotic? Everyone in the world sees one thing with several replay looks at it, but all because one fat-headed ref says "nope, I'm right, sorry" after seeing no review, everyone else must be wrong. So basically if the ref and the back goal-judge blink at the same time a puck goes in, it didn't go in. The whole process sounds ridiculously ignorant to me. I love the argument that you don't want TOO MUCH review, when 1) there is a goal reviewed like once a week in the NHL and 2) them blowing a call like last night based on a ref's inability to admit fault takes just as much time as if they had said 'sorry Dennis, this one is a goal'

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...referee_mi.html

Edited by b.shanafan14