• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

Just like we all suspected, Sergei Fedorov felt underappreciated by the Red Wings during his time in Detroit.

"For the full 13 years I was there, I never figured out who supported me on that team," Fedorov told hoticemag.com.

"... If you only knew how many undercurrents there were between the players and the coaches and management. There's no escaping it. Like in any other group, probably."

If fact, he thinks the same applied to the whole Russian Five. And Russian players in general. So that leaves Anna Kournikova who really got the appreciation she deserved.

"I think we could have accomplished even more if it hadn't been for the jealousy," Fedorov said of the Russian Five.

Uh, what jealousy?

"On our own team!" Fedorov said. "We were playing great, but they were constantly holding us back by the trunks. They wouldn't let us pull the trigger. Then, they totally broke up our five. ... I think we would have been able to do what needed to be done in the first two periods, and in the third you wouldn't even really have to play."

Hoticemag.com and en.khl.ru are the new English-language Web sites of Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, where Fedorov now plays for Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

violin.gif

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

*Fedorov

Gah, it's been so long since I've even said his name I completely forgot how to spell it, didn't even bother to double check the article for the spelling blush.gif

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#3 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Is he saying the players were not best buddies with Bowman?
Shocking.

I bet they could have done much better with a more approachable coach, like Dave Lewis.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#4 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Do not care.

#5 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

So, anyone still curious if Feds will get his number retired in Detroit?

#6 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ November 19, 2009 - 04:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shocking.

I bet they could have done much better with a more approachable coach, like Dave Lewis.

Apparently.

And Bowman was also jealous of the russian 5 for being so good.

Him and Yzerman both.

ph34r.gif
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#7 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ November 19, 2009 - 02:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shocking.

laugh.gif I know, right? If there were articles for each player who disliked Bowman there'd be 23 a year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ November 19, 2009 - 03:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, anyone still curious if Feds will get his number retired in Detroit?

I really hope not - he doesn't deserve it. The rafters of the Wings is for a rare honor and he is not in the same class as those...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#9 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Did I wake up in 2003? Begone, Sergei, we have long been finished with your drama.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#10 Taylorov

Taylorov

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

So that leaves Anna Kournikova who really got the appreciation she deserved.

Exactly. He was too worried about chasing Anna and being a celebrity.

#11 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ November 19, 2009 - 02:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif I know, right? If there were articles for each player who disliked Bowman there'd be 23 a year.

Is this already the time of year for the annual "Scotty/Wings hated me" article from a bitter ex-player? I thought that was a February thing.

Anyway, Sergei's really not very good at letting water go under the bridge. If you're Sergei, you really hurt your legacy if you don't let bygones be bygones six years after the fact.

#12 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Nevermind. He's still cool and had quite a career in the NHL.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#13 Redwingsfan18

Redwingsfan18

Enemies, then teammates, now enemies again for the next 12 years

• Silver Booster
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

LOL @ they broke up the Russian 5.

No offense there Sergei but the Russian 5 came to a tragic end because of the limo accident, that's no secret to the fans of this team or to him. The instant that Vladdy got hurt was the instant the Russian 5 ceased to exist and that's the end of that. Fetisov was ending the road in his career but ended up playing in 1998, of course, and I guess if Maxim Kuznetsov would have panned out in time and the Wings didn't go get Dominik Hasek for Kozzie in 2001 then maybe, maybe they would have all stayed together...I digress.

Point is, that's just silly of him to say. They stayed together through 1997, mainly on the power play, where they were deadly. Otherwise, Scotty just didn't use them as a whole as often because it made the team better to spread all 5 of them out and use them with other players. With the way 1997 ended up, and you could even say 1996 (had Yzerman not been hurt) Scottie knew what he was doing.

I think Sergei needs to thank Mr. I for getting him here, thank him for a great career, shut up and enjoy his $ that never would have happened without the Detroit Red Wings.
In Kenny I trust.

#14 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Come on federov, they increased the cost of beer at the Joe so the wings could afford to keep you around as long as they did. rolleyes.gif

#15 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Aaawh.....poor Fedorov, not getting all the attention all the time. That whole team could've praised him left and right and it still wouldn't have been enough. Why is it that we've never heard these types of quotes from any other former Wing or better yet, any of the other Russian 4?

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ November 19, 2009 - 02:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't remember which Red Wing said this (might have been Stevie or Shanahan) but I'll never forget the quote that said, "As a player, you hated Scottie Bowman 364 days a year, and on the 365th day you picked up your Stanley Cup ring."

Priceless.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#16 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ November 19, 2009 - 05:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't remember which Red Wing said this (might have been Stevie or Shanahan) but I'll never forget the quote that said, "As a player you hated Scottie Bowman 364 days a year, and on the 365th day you picked up your Stanley Cup ring."

Priceless.

it actually was Canadiens Steve Shutt. But it didn't make this statement false though.

Edited by ami, 19 November 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#17 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Fetisov was planning on retiring after the 97 season anyways - that is weird how Fedorov stated that.
Lost in translation?

Edited by egroen, 19 November 2009 - 05:23 PM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#18 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (ami @ November 19, 2009 - 04:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it actually was Canadiens Steve Shutt. But it didn't make this statement false though.

Thanks! sly.gif

I flat-out couldn't remember who initially said that.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#19 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ November 19, 2009 - 05:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks egroen. sly.gif

I flat-out couldn't remember who initially said that.

Heh, and I was wrong -- Shutt is right!

Edited by egroen, 19 November 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#20 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Wow. If we handled things so poorly, Fedsy, how'd you end up with those three Stanley Cup rings?

Seems like things were handled just the way they should have been, if you ask me. But what do I know, right?

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...