• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Fedorov: Red Wings were jealous

Rate this topic

I can understand Fedorov's position, as it clearly was the Red Wings holding him back all these years, and if you look over his career in the NHL, those years in Detroit really stick out like a sore thumb and are an ugly blight on his record.

:siren: and the Joe sold 3.000 more tickets each night when she was sitting up in the owner's box...so Fedorov had the best looking girlfriend in Detroits history and he is very handsome himself...so that was why everyone was jealous of him...especially Steve Yzerman....Fedorov was also ten times a better player than Yzerman...sad situation was that Fed had to live in Yzerman's shadow because he is Russian :siren:

You're kidding, right? I'm pretty sure there was like a 7 year waiting list for season tickets at that time. Wait, I know there was a 7 year waiting list because a friend inquired about season tickets and waited until 2004 when he finally had the chance to purchase them. Give me a break, 3,000 people weren't going to see Anna. This is the NHL, not the god damn NBA where people go to see movie stars and supermodels instead of the game.

You don't think he'll want another Hall-of-Fame Red Wings player in Toronto and on that ceiling of Joe Louis Arena?

Do you see Red Kelly up in those rafters? He would go up there long before Feds, which appears to be never.

You don't think he'll want another Hall-of-Fame Red Wings player in Toronto and on that ceiling of Joe Louis Arena?
38 former Red Wings players are currently in the Hall of Fame. If that's your only criteria for number retirement, then we're going to have to start using punctuation marks before too long. 38 HOF'ers, and only 6 of them have a retired number.

To me, Yzerman and Lidstrom have set the current standard for jersey retirement. When you compare Yzerman's and Lidstrom's contributions against Fedorov's, then Sergei doesn't measure up. (And I'm not talking just about stats and awards won).

If the current standard is those heart and soul, bleed Red Wings Red, exemplary career spent entirely wearing the Winged Wheel, while winning the hearts and minds of the fans. Then no, Fedorov does not meet the standard. Many of the fans still would boo Fedorov when he came back to the Joe. Do you really think Ilitch wants to retire the number of a guy who got booed on a regular occasion after he left?

The guy compared leaving Detroit to when he defected from the Soviet Union, for crying out loud. Even if that was all taken out of context, it still leaves a sour taste in many people's mouth. Put all these reasons together, mix in his holdout in '98, sprinkle a little of this article on top, bake at 350 degrees and it all adds up to 91's absence in the rafters, if you ask me.

Do you see Red Kelly up in those rafters? He would go up there long before Feds, which appears to be never.

Red Kelly was twice the player for Detroit than Fedorov was (and I have little problem with retiring Fedorov's number, in reality... despite his prima-donna attitude at times).

Why wouldn't they retire one of their best forwards ever? It's like asking if Pittsburgh will ever retire Jagr's number. It will happen. Just give it time.

This is the same ass-backwards logic that got Bourque's number retired in Colorado.

38 former Red Wings players are currently in the Hall of Fame. If that's your only criteria for number retirement, then we're going to have to start using punctuation marks before too long. 38 HOF'ers, and only 6 of them have a retired number.

To me, Yzerman and Lidstrom have set the current standard for jersey retirement. When you compare Yzerman's and Lidstrom's contributions against Fedorov's, then Sergei doesn't measure up. (And I'm not talking just about stats and awards won).

If the current standard is those heart and soul, bleed Red Wings Red, exemplary career spent entirely wearing the Winged Wheel, while winning the hearts and minds of the fans. Then no, Fedorov does not meet the standard. Many of the fans still would boo Fedorov when he came back to the Joe. Do you really think Ilitch wants to retire the number of a guy who got booed on a regular occasion after he left?

The guy compared leaving Detroit to when he defected from the Soviet Union, for crying out loud. Even if that was all taken out of context, it still leaves a sour taste in many people's mouth. Put all these reasons together, mix in his holdout in '98, sprinkle a little of this article on top, bake at 350 degrees and it all adds up to 91's absence in the rafters, if you ask me.

Yeah out of the current players Lids is the only for sure and if Z and Dats win 2 more cups then they could be put in the rafters. Feds has no chance, stats and talent wise no argument but his attitude and baggage are what keeps him out.

Why wouldn't they retire one of their best forwards ever? It's like asking if Pittsburgh will ever retire Jagr's number. It will happen. Just give it time.

Because Fedorov burned every bridge on the way out of town, and he still shows up every few years to make sure the ashes are still smoldering. The rafters of Joe Louis Arena are reserved for the players with a winged wheel tattooed to their soul.

So let me get this Federov conspiracy theory straight:

The Red Wings, the first team that broke through the iron curtain to bring Russians over here, somehow were prejudiced against them and refused to let them play as well as they could, even if that meant the team would lose games?

What has he been smoking?

Read the full article. You'll find out that the entire time the writer/questioner was baiting Fedorov the entire time and the Freep article makes Fedorov sound like a whiney baby. Not only does Fedorov give MAJOR props to Bowman, but also to the people of Detroit. Plus, he does what we all enjoy doing, and that's ripping on Burke :)

Q) Does it bother you now that for all 13 years you were in Detroit, at the very peak of your career, they only really let you play to the max for one season?

A) After the kind of season I managed to have in 1994, personally, of course, it bothered me. On the other hand, I didn't understand this then, but I understand it now: Scotty Bowman had too many hot potatoes on his hands that he needed to juggle to keep the team successful.

Q) So nonetheless: Do you hold a grudge against Bowman or not?

A) There's no point holding a grudge for so many years. You only make yourself worse. But I really didn't understand it then.

Q)You think, then, that if Bowman had become dissatisfied with how Chelios or Yzerman was playing, he wouldn't have said that about them (Fedorov's got everything except a big heart)?

A) Never. For the full 13 years I was there, I never figured out who supported me on that team. I just went out and played, proving every night that I was one of the best and could help the team. If you only knew how many undercurrents there were between the players and the coaches and management. There's no escaping it. Like in any other group, probably.

Q) But you were always the public's favorite.

A) What about the public? The public doesn't influence the team's policies. But yeah, the people in Detroit always knew their hockey and always saw who was worth what. I don't have anything to add to that.

Q) Would you consider the 1996-97 season, with the complete «Russian Five,» the best hockey you've ever played?

A) I think so, yes. I had already matured by then, and it was a great pleasure to play with those guys. I think we could have accomplished even more if it hadn't been for the jealousy.

Q)Whose? Of whom?

A) On our own team! We were playing great, but they were constantly holding us back by the trunks. They wouldn't let us pull the trigger. Then, they totally broke up our five. And then we won the Stanley Cup.

Q) You had to move to a team that had never made it into the playoffs (Ducks to BJs). Not even that upset you?

A) Again, so what? If one team doesn't want you but another team needs you, what's bad about that? You need to play where you're needed.

Link to real article

Edited by Konnan511

So let me get this Federov conspiracy theory straight:

The Red Wings, the first team that broke through the iron curtain to bring Russians over here, somehow were prejudiced against them and refused to let them play as well as they could, even if that meant the team would lose games?

What has he been smoking?

Negative, the players on the team didn't want them playing together. The egos in the room couldn't handle it.

Negative, the players on the team didn't want them playing together. The egos in the room couldn't handle it.

Well I don't buy that for a second - and not that the players' feelings would have any impact on Bowman, anyways.

Thanks for posting the full article - I thought something was missing from that, and he does not come off nearly as bad as it was first portrayed. But the guy is still a prima-donna and he can not honestly say he gave it even close to his 100% here 100% of the time.

Even if some of the players might have been somehow "jealous" of the Russian 5 and did not want them playing together, the veterans and especially Steve Yzerman would have squashed that right away. Yzerman had been through enough by then, and he wanted to win.

Well I don't buy that for a second - and not that the players' feelings would have any impact on Bowman, anyways.

Thanks for posting the full article - I thought something was missing from that, and he does not come off nearly as bad as it was first portrayed. But the guy is still a prima-donna and he can not honestly say he gave it even close to his 100% here 100% of the time.

this is the truth -- Feds was the greatest under-achiever ever to play in the NHL. I loved to watch him, he literally could dance a puck down the ice like no one else. He was beautiful when he chose to play his best.

As for Scotty Bowman, he could squeeze the very best out of any player, and while they didn't love him for it, I think all came to the same conclusion -- best coach ever to grace the NHL.

I am still sad that Feds left, but I think I am sadder about Shanny.

I agree with all of this. And as you pointed out, the comparison to defecting from the Soviet Union is a slap in the face. His number will never, I repeat, NEVER be hung in JLA's rafters.

Guest Shoreline

This link surprises who? He already showed his true colors 6 years ago in that UFA circus act. Time to move on.