• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Could the injuries cause Detroit to miss the playoffs?

Rate this topic

Right now, I sadly have to say yes. Detroit is far from safe making the playoffs this year, and all longterm injuries to keyplayers will not make it a cakewalk like the last 15 years.

-franzen 4-6 months

-kronwall maybe 2 months

-flip, around 6-8 weeks

-lilja unknown

The D is starting to fall apart, I am not saying lilja is a keyplayer, but right now I rather have him playing then Meech.

I guess detroit just needs to find a way to work harder and just win.

Edited by Phazon

It's definitely a possibility that they might miss the playoffs

This team is currently battling for an 8th seed the way the standings are. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but who's to say that we won't have more injuries between now and the return of one of our 5 injured players? If Pavel, Hank or Lidstrom get hurt, we're screwed.

I'd fire the team doctors right now. It sucks that all these injuries are long-term.

Oh, also you forgot to mention Williams in your post.

Edited by GMRwings1983

if last year is any indication you only have to be 500 to make the playoffs, so if we keep up as we are now we wont have home ice, but we will make the playoffs. Maybe a year where we have to scrap will help us in the long run.

They will be fine. They won't win the presidents trophy. But they won't miss the playoffs either. If you look at the NHL as a whole, injuries are every teams problem this year. Its unreal how many teams have had numerous injuries.

Not to be a pessimist, but I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs this year. Injuries or not, it's been a lot of games now and nothing has changed. There's still no defense, only this year our offense isn't clicking as well as in the past, either. I don't think the Wings have won more than 3 in a row, adn we need to go on a few substantial winning streaks of more than 3 games to make up any ground before the race starts getting away from us.

I have faith we can do it, but it's not nearly as assured as people thought it would be. Every aspect of the Wings game is subpar.

I think the best thing we can say is that something is missing from the team. Not just injured players, but they're missing that intangible. Whether that can be fixed through trades or what, I don't know.

While we are in 8th place, look how far back we are from 1st. Actually, I'll save you the trouble. San Jose (top team in the league) has 10 more points than us and 3 more games played, which leaves a minimum potential difference of only 4 points. We're currently behind division leader Chicago by the same amount. As long as they keep afloat (which a past 10 record of 7-2-1 is definitely keeping afloat), they should still be in the thick of things once all of Filppulla, Franzen, Kronwall, and hopefully (but don't cross your fingers) Lilja return. The fact that we're as close as we are to 1st place is even more impressive considering how poorly we started. I believe we were 14th in the WC at one point.

Edited by Echolalia

Not to be a pessimist, but I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs this year. Injuries or not, it's been a lot of games now and nothing has changed. There's still no defense, only this year our offense isn't clicking as well as in the past, either. I don't think the Wings have won more than 3 in a row, adn we need to go on a few substantial winning streaks of more than 3 games to make up any ground before the race starts getting away from us.

I have faith we can do it, but it's not nearly as assured as people thought it would be. Every aspect of the Wings game is subpar.

I think the best thing we can say is that something is missing from the team. Not just injured players, but they're missing that intangible. Whether that can be fixed through trades or what, I don't know.

Right now the Wings are ranked 16th in goals against per game with 2.81 ga/g. They're ranked 7th in goals per game with 3.10 g/g.

The Wings' ratio of 5-on-5 goals for/against isn't very impressive-- 0.97, putting them in 18th place. That number is BAD. They're giving up more even strength goals than they score. Not good.

In special teams it's a bit less balanced. The Wings are ranked 6th in PP% with 23.9%. The PK is worse off by far, with the Wings ranked 26th with 75.7%.

Now, on to the shot differentials. In shots per game the Wings are ranked 1st with 34.1%. In shots against per game they're ranked 5th with 27.8.

In face-off percentage they're 10th with 51.1%.

When it comes to points percentage the Wings are ranked 12th in the league with 0.619%.

What do all these stats indicate? The Wings' penalty kill is pathetic. They won't be dominant again until they can bring it up into the top 10 penalty kills in the league. Furthermore, they need to significantly correct their even strength play.

It's interested that even with the terrible PK they're only 16th in goals surrendered per game.

Well, if we're in danger of missing the playoffs because of injuries, so is Pittsburgh, despite the media sizing them up for 2010 Cup rings. We're only four points back of them with two games in hand, which pretty much leaves us even with them.

In fact, this could be the first year in NHL history that only a handful of teams make the postseason! Believe it! :P

If they can hang in there for a couple guys to return, it'll certainly help them down the stretch. Lets just hope nobody else on the team goes down.

I doubt we'll win the presidents trophy now. Let Sharks or Hawks have it. We'll eliminate them in the first or second round with (hopefully) a full, rejuvenated and healthy line up.

Before the last 3 games, we just won 4 in a row and had went 7-2-1 in the last 10 which is good.

And that "missing intangible" that you speak of comes down to one thing: FRANZEN, FILPULA, WILLIAMS, KRONWALL, LILIJA... we haven't had a full team since first game at the Joe... If anything, these injuries will make us stronger during the home stretch. We will have our top guys trickling back into the lineup, while our younger guys will have less pressure + experience in winning games. They continue to win games, even with a depleted lineup, which can only be positive for the rest of the season.

Guest Shoreline

Wings are tired and hurt, simple as that. These long postseasons are having an effect on the team. They lost the goal scoring prowess they had last season, and the defense can't/isn't picking up the slack. So I'm leaning toward Kenny getting more firepower at the deadline or pulling a deal out of his hat.

The fact Detroit is fighting for 8th right now shouldn't be troubling. Detroit has 26 points in 21 games. Extrapolate to 84 games and you get over 100 points. No team with 100 points will ever miss the play-offs. Their is a overload of teams right now with great records, Detroit is simply in the middle of those teams. Not a super team like New Jersey or San Jose. But if you look at the facts, Detroit's wins have been against pretty decent teams.

What's more likely to happen in the next 3 months? Detroit getting a lot worse, or Detroit staying pretty much the same while teams like Colorado and LA (formerly terrible teams) start tailing off.

The most likely situation for Detroit is skating in as the 2nd in the Central, just behind Chicago and picking up the 5th or 6th seed. Anything higher then that is extremely unlikely. Once Franzen gets back though, Detroit should be fine for the play-offs, maybe not win, but getting to the Western finals shouldn't be a stretch.

The only worrying thing is a few handfull of players aren't playing well at all. Lidstrom isn't playing great, neither is Rafalski really, or Bertuzzi or Leino. Half the team is sleeping, and that can't happen when 3 key top players are out. I don't see a large portion of this team ever becoming very productive. This season will all be about Datysuk and Zetterberg winning games for us, or goaltending losing games for us. If Dats and Z aren't playing well, kiss the season good-bye. Our secondary guys will never step it up on their own.

A few things a lot of people seem to be not understanding is that we are somewhat fortunate to be dealing with these injuries semi early in the season rather than later when it would be imminent that these guys would miss playoff time....When looking at the schedule...our busiest month of the season is going to be in March where we literally play every other day...and so far each player with the expection of Lebda is pretty much guaranteed be back well before March let alone playoff time

Bottom line is we are without a doubt a team that has enough depth to at least finish in 8th place....now I dont think we will finish in 8th place...even with the injuries I dont see us finishing any further back in the conference than maybe 4th place...and if anything I see us dealing with these injuries making us much stronger...and then when we get our all star Franzen back...Kronwall....and Filpulla...we will be so used to picking up the slack that when our guys get back we will dominate...

The only things that become very obvious at this point is that Howard and Osgood absolutely must perform well.....We at no costs can afford to deal with the goaltender situation we had last year.....Datsyuk and Zetterberg absolutely MUST each produce...and put on another Selke performance...we need goals...and we need to let in fewer goals...

When looking at the schedule...our busiest month of the season is going to be in March where we literally play every other day...and so far each player with the expection of Lebda is pretty much guaranteed be back well before March let alone playoff time

I know you mean Lilja but please don't get our hopes up with that little Freudian slip.

The western conference is tough as nails. Friggin Anaheim is in last place. Anyone feel like a game against Getzlaf, Perry, Hiller etc. is an easy win?

No team in the west is guaranteed a playoff spot.

However, as long as we don't get any more long-term injuries to big players, we're going to be in good shape in a month or two when Kronner and Fil are back. Add another month and hopefully Franzen is back. Maybe even Lilja.

As long as we don't fall behind too far in the coming weeks we should be fine.

A few things a lot of people seem to be not understanding is that we are somewhat fortunate to be dealing with these injuries semi early in the season rather than later when it would be imminent that these guys would miss playoff time....When looking at the schedule...our busiest month of the season is going to be in March where we literally play every other day...and so far each player with the expection of Lebda is pretty much guaranteed be back well before March let alone playoff time

Bottom line is we are without a doubt a team that has enough depth to at least finish in 8th place....now I dont think we will finish in 8th place...even with the injuries I dont see us finishing any further back in the conference than maybe 4th place...and if anything I see us dealing with these injuries making us much stronger...and then when we get our all star Franzen back...Kronwall....and Filpulla...we will be so used to picking up the slack that when our guys get back we will dominate...

The only things that become very obvious at this point is that Howard and Osgood absolutely must perform well.....We at no costs can afford to deal with the goaltender situation we had last year.....Datsyuk and Zetterberg absolutely MUST each produce...and put on another Selke performance...we need goals...and we need to let in fewer goals...

Yes but having injuries early in the season doesn't exclude the possibility of late-season injuries. Not to be a pessimist but some people talk as if there's a certain quota of injuries per season: lots of injuries in the regular season -> few injuries in the playoffs. There are no guarantees.

Right now, I sadly have to say yes. Detroit is far from safe making the playoffs this year, and all longterm injuries to keyplayers will not make it a cakewalk like the last 15 years.

-franzen 4-6 months

-kronwall maybe 2 months

-flip, around 6-8 weeks

-lilja unknown

The D is starting to fall apart, I am not saying lilja is a keyplayer, but right now I rather have him playing then Meech.

I guess detroit just needs to find a way to work harder and just win.

Oh for Christ's sake.

Franzen is out until March which is 4 more months not 4-6 more

Kronwall is 4-8 weeks so you assume the max

Flip will be back in a couple more weeks not 6-8 weeks more.

The Wings are 10 points behind the top team in the west with 4 frickin games in hand and only 6 points behind the division leader with a game in hand.

They are 7-2-1 in the last 10 games.

The D is starting to fall apart? Huh? They gave up 2 goals last game, and 2 the game before that.

What games are you watching?

Wings are tired and hurt, simple as that. These long postseasons are having an effect on the team. They lost the goal scoring prowess they had last season, and the defense can't/isn't picking up the slack. So I'm leaning toward Kenny getting more firepower at the deadline or pulling a deal out of his hat.

Wrong. Kronwall is 3rd on the team in goals.

I'm looking at this in a positive light. This is an Olympic year, which means guys will play more games than what they're used to and with the Wings going deep into the playoffs in each of the last 3 years if they didn't have injury problems, they would be playing around 90 games before the playoffs even start. These injuries are a blessing in disguise. We'll be fresher for the playoffs. Ironically, the Pens are in the same boat with injuries, so maybe a rubber match isn't so far fetched.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

"next question"

we have made the playoffs with a lot worse players on the ice every night... will they go far in the playoffs? prolly not given all the injuries, but their will be at least 4 hockey games past April 16th this year

Edited by OsGOD

Playoffs!? You're talking about Playoffs!!!???

Yeah, they'll make it into the playoffs, will they do well? Probably not. No Stanley Cup or rematch with the Pens this year. That's okay though, we don't have to win it all the time to know who is the better organization. :P