• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan1991

Shoe on the other foot article

Rate this topic

But be forewarned, it is not all good. Your expectations will make the losses even more unbearable, your high hopes may turn into depressing days, sleepless nights and long summers. I know, I've been there and maybe others should be, too.

Yeah, like watching you beloved team lose in game 7 of the Final then crying about it for 7 hours, falling asleep at 4 in the morning to wake up at 7 to take the ACT(which of course, mentions a town called "Red Wing" in one of the sections) and then proceed to have the worst summer ever as two of my favorite players leave to free agency...yeah, I've been there. But hey, ya learn from it.

I feel like a traitor saying this, but I've enjoyed the season. As a Wings fan I've never known anything but strong teams, finally seeing a team that has to earn their spot just makes this season a new experience. I've also never seen my team miss the playoffs... but I'm not going to be happy when that happens.

This season is also somewhat of an anomaly because of the ridiculous amount of injuries. This team would still easily pull out a playoff berth, in my opinion, if everyone could stay healthy. Right now the Wings are playing with only 3 of their true top 6 D-men, and basically half of their top two lines. I have to admit though, that they are a lot of fun to watch this season, even if they are losing a lot more, because the team is forced to play a tougher style and not rely on skill alone to win games.

This season is also somewhat of an anomaly because of the ridiculous amount of injuries. This team would still easily pull out a playoff berth, in my opinion, if everyone could stay healthy. Right now the Wings are playing with only 3 of their true top 6 D-men, and basically half of their top two lines. I have to admit though, that they are a lot of fun to watch this season, even if they are losing a lot more, because the team is forced to play a tougher style and not rely on skill alone to win games.

If the playoffs started right this second, Detroit would miss, but they're a win tonight away from 5th. Considering their injures, they're right where they should be. Once guys start returning, we're going to see a slow rise to the top, as usual.

If the playoffs started right this second, Detroit would miss, but they're a win tonight away from 5th. Considering their injures, they're right where they should be. Once guys start returning, we're going to see a slow rise to the top, as usual.

Agreed. And I think that's one of the things the article overlooks, is that, while the Wings certainly aren't going to be blowing people out daily for a while, the team, if healthy, is still arguably right up there with San Jose and Chicago as the West's best. I still think Franzen is the most missed, because I think he has the ability, more than anyone on this roster, to create goals out of nowhere, and without assistance. He has been our best finisher over the past two playoffs and last season.. To me, this team can't be judged until January, when all the guys start petering back into the lineup.

But that's why people are panicking.

The injuries are piling up, they're all long term injuries, and how do we know who's next? So far our top 3 players have been untouched by injuries, but what if something happens to them?

I still think this team has some danger of missing the playoffs, unless we stop having injuries and the guys already injured come back soon. Otherwise, it'll be a dogfight to get in.

I still think this team has some danger of missing the playoffs, unless we stop having injuries and the guys already injured come back soon. Otherwise, it'll be a dogfight to get in.

I'm actually liking this ... to be honest, as much as I like winning, it got a bit boring the last few seasons when we had the division pretty much locked up by February and could skate around half-assed and still win 5-3. It's refreshing that we actually have to try, it's nice to see some scrappy young guys in the lineup, and it's nice to not be expected to win it all ... in short, it's nice to be a bit of an underdog for a change. (Of course, I still hope we win it all!)

I agree with the article as well. What's amazing is the amount of injuries across the board. Two more goalies (goalies!!) added to the IR recently (TOR Toskala and OTT Leclaire), and injuries to approximately 20% - 25% of the league, putting players out for anything from torn ACL's to broken legs/wrists/etc... Is it just horrific "luck" or an issue with proper training? Hockey is one of the toughest sports on the planet, and we're seeing injuries to vets who know how to take a hit. Are the hits that are injuring these players "dirty"? Overall, no. Are the players getting bigger and faster? I would say "yes", but not in my opinion an overly fast rate.

As relating to the article, as a 25+ year fan of the Red Wings (I'm 33, started really following them when I was around 8), I echo the statements in the article, and posted on this forum. Each loss is tough, especially a first round loss when the Wings are a #1 seed, or a Game 7 Cup Final loss. It's weird trying to adjust to the regular season, as the Wings look very mortal. As statistics show, a home PK ranked 13th in the league (81.4%) and a road PK ranked 30th (65.7%, which is a distant 5.4% from the 29th spot). Is it their system? No. Is it the personnel available? Yes. Is it based on injuries to normal penalty killer's? Of course, but to what degree is subjective.

As long as the Wings put in a 100% effort, they stand their best chance to win. Thick or thin, injuries or healthy roster, GO WINGS!!!