• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cboth686

Cap Space?

Rate this topic

Okay,

I've heard and injury DOESN'T clear up cap space, and that an injury DOES clear up cap space. What's the final verdict, my friends who follow hockey also insisted it did. If so, how much wiggle room does Holland have to play with?

I'd like to see him make a move, even though he claims he's not going to. It would suck to scrape through this year and miss the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.

Okay,

I've heard and injury DOESN'T clear up cap space, and that an injury DOES clear up cap space. What's the final verdict, my friends who follow hockey also insisted it did. If so, how much wiggle room does Holland have to play with?

I'd like to see him make a move, even though he claims he's not going to. It would suck to scrape through this year and miss the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.

It doesn't clear it I think you can go over the cap at a prorated amount.

The way I understand it is that while a player is on LTIR his salary doesn't count against the cap. So while Franzen for example is gone, we should have 4 mil to play around with. But as soon as he returns we have to adjust so we can fit his salary under the cap again.

So as long as no player is out for the season, it's hard for Holland to make any moves to replace injured players, except for stuff like picking up players of Waivers (like Miller).

It is called CAP RELIEF. It comes into effect once the cap space is gone... cap space is used up first. And cap relief is basically useless unless you happen to have NHL ready players playing for your AHL team or you have quality players with two-way contracts.... which is rare.

In the past the Wings had NHL ready players playing in the AHL.... like Helm. Wings depth this year is not what is use to be.... which is why they are screwed.

INJURIES PENALIZE teams the way the CBA is written. I don't think that was the intention.

Hopefully in the next CBA when a player goes on LTIR it will actually ADD cap space.

The ironic thing it that the Wings would have been better off if Franzen was out until the start of the playoffs..... then they could have gotten someone for whatever cap relief they would have received from Franzen being out..... but availability of good players is another issue.... once the playoffs start the salary cap is no longer an issue.

The bottom line is you better have good depth and players in the AHL ready to come up and play quality minutes.

Edited by Icesurfer

Okay,

Cool. Both you and your friends are wrong then.

Don't confuse consensus with correctness.

Putting a player on LTIR only clears space for a replacement player until the original player returns. As soon as that injured player returns you have to be cap compliant again, so no, you don't build up extra cap room by stocking up on injuries.