• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#461 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Or, this years Bertuzzi with linemates and confidence can play 20 solid minutes a night. I hope Babs doesnt change the lines when Dano and Eaves come back.

Well of course. You always hope for that. It's just that he was averaging 16 a game. Usually Pav and Z are the only forwards that have more than 20 minutes.

#462 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Well of course. You always hope for that. It's just that he was averaging 16 a game. Usually Pav and Z are the only forwards that have more than 20 minutes.

That is true, but Babs is a different guy. I dont think Bert will play 20+ every night when Eaves and Dano are back, but I could see 17-18 consistently.

#NOMOREKINDL

#463 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

For the price, he's ok. But I don't know about re-signing.

We're 71 games into the year and he still takes shifts off defensively, takes bad offensive zone penalties, turns the puck over, isn't as physical as he should be, and doesn't shoot the puck enough. He doesn't look like a guy playing for a new contract. And for a detail guy like Babcock, all those little things probably matter as much as the points.

It also shows what a bargain Sammy had been at 1.2 mill.

now now harold...you are not suppose to say anything bad about him in a bert sucks thread. even though at the time he was sucking when this thread was made. have you not learned anything? geez
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#464 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:50 AM

Overall Bert has been good, and without question saved us a few games single handedly. The guy still has the ability to turn it on and be a dominant player in the league, to me it just seems to be a combination of mental and phyiscal problems. While obviously I no he will never be a top powerforward in the league ever again, I firmly belive that if he deals with his mental baggage and starts playing a physical game he could very well become another legit scoring threat.

I think it's unlikely he'll ever find that dominant physical game again because he has a bad back. He's played every game this year though, much to his credit, I considered his health one of the cons when he was brought on board, but obviously he's still limited by his condition.

He's far from perfect, but I was hoping for 20ish goals and 40-50 points out of him when he was signed and he's delivered on my expectations.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#465 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

I like how he gave a shot to Whiny face at the end of the game. Way to battle for your teammate Bert.

#466 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/red_wings_nicklas_kronwall_not.html

Babcock, on Todd Bertuzzi’s net-front role on the line with Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula: “We want him at the net and those other guys get to play with the puck and he gets to bang the loose pucks in. With those guys, if you (Bertuzzi) end up having the puck, then the line’s not effective. It’s set up that way and as long as he keeps playing like that he’s going to get an opportunity to play with those guys.’’

Babs is trying to put Bertuzzi into a Holmstrom like (net front, puck retrival) role instead of a Franzen like (shooter) role like earlier in the season. I think it's going well so far and I hope Bert is having fun with it.

#467 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

Babs is trying to put Bertuzzi into a Holmstrom like (net front, puck retrival) role instead of a Franzen like (shooter) role like earlier in the season. I think it's going well so far and I hope Bert is having fun with it.

As Mike Haynes (homer Avalanche PbPer) said, "Whatever you want to say about what Bertuzzi may have done in the past [to Steve Moore], he sure is one BIG man." Bert is huge and is virtually immovable in front of the net. I just wish he'd crash the net like he used to; he was able, even in the '07 season, to accelerate fast towards the net with the puck. When he did that, he was virtually unstoppable short of being hooked or tripped.

Anyway, he's on pace to eclipse Sammy's point totals of the past two seasons. He's worth the money, and I think he'll continue to become more valuable as his role is solidified more. In my opinion, his size hasn't been used enough this season. He is one of the biggest players in hockey.

#468 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

Anyone notice that when Bert dekes a player, he does it with 1 hand on the stick? The new line is really starting to come together.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#469 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:03 AM

Right now, at this exact moment, Todd Bertuzzi's all time points total sits at exactly: 666.

Bwahahahahahaha!

#470 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

Bertuzzi is still sad at seeing this thread! :( :crybaby:

#471 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

The Zet-Fil-Bert line looks great. I think Berts always been streaky hasn't he? If he can keep building I would love to see him signed to short term deals especially if that line keeps coming together like they have been.... maybe the best 2nd line playing right now!

#472 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

2nd line is making a killing right now, and Bert is a big part of that. Another positive note, Bertuzzi has almost moved out of the negative +/- after hitting a low of -9 I think. Haters give it up.

#473 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Bert is a guy who likes to play with the puck. I've feared this ever since he's been placed in a Holmstrom-type role. I might be making too big of a deal out of this but he definitely made some questionable decisions with the puck against EDM. Maybe he's too much of a puckhandler to be a Holmstrom type long term.

#474 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

Bert is a guy who likes to play with the puck. I've feared this ever since he's been placed in a Holmstrom-type role. I might be making too big of a deal out of this but he definitely made some questionable decisions with the puck against EDM. Maybe he's too much of a puckhandler to be a Holmstrom type long term.

I'm a Bertuzzi slappy and even I think that the use of Long-term should never be associated with Bertuzzi and the Red Wings.

He's a one to two year filler.

#475 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

He tends to blow the easy play without even a shot on goal. There are a lot of Wings who have been guilty of that over the season but Bert has been the worst. He tries things that Zetterberg and Filppula are making look easy these days and just ends up getting robbed one-on-one, throwing an ill-advised pass that gets picked in traffic, or whiffing an easy one-timer. He was guilty of all three at least twice each against Edmonton.

Players of Bertuzzi's ilk need to realize they aren't superstars anymore and need to do what Drew Miller is doing: just get the damn puck on net and hope for garbage/goalie-gaff.

#476 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

He tends to blow the easy play without even a shot on goal. There are a lot of Wings who have been guilty of that over the season but Bert has been the worst. He tries things that Zetterberg and Filppula are making look easy these days and just ends up getting robbed one-on-one, throwing an ill-advised pass that gets picked in traffic, or whiffing an easy one-timer. He was guilty of all three at least twice each against Edmonton.

Players of Bertuzzi's ilk need to realize they aren't superstars anymore and need to do what Drew Miller is doing: just get the damn puck on net and hope for garbage/goalie-gaff.

When he plays the role of big body out front and waits for rebounds, he is the most effective at this point in his career, but he still has good hands down low as well... I just wish he wouldn't try to get so fancy driving the net, or coming into the zone - keep it simple there and get it on net, but down low, behind the net, etc... he should be allowed to use those hands and I could see him here for another 2 years, especially at that cap hit.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#477 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

we didnt sign Bertuzi for much so what do you guys expect, if anything Lilja's gonna fk up our chances, good big body but he turns it over to much, ive noticed it a lot in playoff situations.

we shudve went for antropov, but when i said that in the off-season i remembered the idea getting shot down for some reason.

#478 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

we didnt sign Bertuzi for much so what do you guys expect, if anything Lilja's gonna fk up our chances, good big body but he turns it over to much, ive noticed it a lot in playoff situations.

we shudve went for antropov, but when i said that in the off-season i remembered the idea getting shot down for some reason.

I'm guessing it's because the Wings couldn't have ever afforded him. He's making something like $4 mill.

#479 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

maybe he means afinigenov?

regarding bertuzzi, i am pretty neutral on him now; and considering i was one of his bigger critics i would say thats pretty good progress. still too often plays go to die once they hit his stick blade. however, this has decreased pretty significantly. i think he has fit pretty well with his linemates recently.

i have been a bit disappointed that he doesn't have a few more goals. i know the instant reaction will be 'what do you expect he only makes 1.5 mil' but with the linemates he has had and the TOI he has gotten this year, i would have hoped for a little more.

however, i think his overall game has improved over last year and early in the season. so thats why i haven't been overly critical the last couple months.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#480 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

he has scored more this season than the past two seasons

Posted Image