• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyerberger

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

I'm surprised that with all the other player X (is lazy/awesome and) sucks/rocks threads, Abdelkader hasn't had one going. Though his offense hasn't been particularly noteworthy stat-wise, his line seems to generate a lot of offensive pressure when he's on the ice, and defensive-wise it's notable he's a +1 while only claiming 4 points in 22 games to his name. On top of that, he's rocking 63 hits currently, putting him on pace for well into the 200s (especially if he starts getting more ice time). There was a shift last night (it might have been his first) where he was bouncing off the Blues like a rubber ball.. think I watched him nail 4 players along the boards in the offensive in about 12 seconds. Top off those hits stats with only 12 PIM to his name so far. Seriously, 63 hits a quarter of the way in? When's the last time the Wings even had a player like this? Oh right, his name is Darren Helm, 6 points, even +/-, 56 hits putting him on pace for just over 200.. with only 2 PIMs to his name to go with that (and I'm sure his physical play has drawn more penalties than that, such as what we say with EJ last night).

Instead of griping about how the Wings are injured and underperforming and so on, how about we give some credit where credit is due and acknowledge what these younger players are bringing to the team--assets that, in fact, many on this board have been wanting/demanding for years now.

I'm wondering if he stays up when everyone is healthy (if that ever happens). I mean, wasn't the plan before the season to let him play big minutes in the AHL. He's definitely a NHL caliber player already, but what do you guys think?

It's most likely they will, as he's the easiest/most logical asset to send down. Certainly a permanent fixture on the roster next season, though.

I thought that our fourth line was great - it seemed to me that in the first two periods, they were the only line that consistently spent their time in the other team's zone, and got some great cycling going. He played very well.

I'm wondering if he stays up when everyone is healthy (if that ever happens). I mean, wasn't the plan before the season to let him play big minutes in the AHL. He's definitely a NHL caliber player already, but what do you guys think?

Interesting problem. When Fil comes back in a couple of weeks somebody has to go.

Miller, May, Abby or Eaves

You can't send down Miller or May. I'm not sure about Eaves.

My bet is that Abby goes back to GR where he can play more minutes.

Interesting problem. When Fil comes back in a couple of weeks somebody has to go.

Miller, May, Abby or Eaves

You can't send down Miller or May. I'm not sure about Eaves.

My bet is that Abby goes back to GR where he can play more minutes.

eaves for sure.. hes invisibile on our team

I think we should get Abdelkader with Filppula and Franzen when he comes back.

Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino

Abdelkader-Filppula-Franzen

Helm-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Williams-Draper-(Zetterberg/Filppula/Datsyuk rotation during 5 on 5 play, Holmstrom on PP1 and when we're up big)

Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino

Helm-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Williams-Draper-(Zetterberg/Filppula/Datsyuk rotation during 5 on 5 play, Holmstrom on PP1 and when we're up big)

... lmao, thanks for the first laugh of the day.

I'd hope Abdelkader is a permanent fixture. We absolutely need his physical play on this team. He is one of the leaders in the league in Hits/game, not to mention just our team. He has played great and is getting enough minutes to still develop. I think the situation is fine for him right now, I don't see him doing that much more in the AHL that he is already doing in the NHL.

Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino

Helm-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Aside from the joke hilarity that is having a selke winning PPG player as 3rd line center, especially on a team stacked with 3rd/4th line quality centers, Franzen isn't really the sort of player that needs a space-maker on his line. I'd be happy to see Abs get a chance on the 2nd line for now. Assuming him to be on the team still when the injured players are back, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Dats - Z - Homer

Franzen - Flip - Cleary

Leino - Abs - Bert

Helm - Draper - Williams

However, it's extremely unlikely that Abs will be up with the others back due to depth in 3rd/4th line choices.

Also:

Judge%20Chamberlain%20Haller.jpg

Are you on drugs?

Edited by Datsyerberger

I only saw a few games that he played in back in his MSU days, but his game looks very similar, maybe not quite as offensively effective but just to be able to translate as much as he has so far to the NHL level deserves a big :thumbup:

As far as who's out when injured people *hopefully* start coming back, he unfortunately has to go, unless waivers become involved for the likes of Eaves or Miller. The time in the AHL won't hurt him at this point, as it's been pointed out he'll be racking up the ice time down there instantly.

I know I've been cheering for Abdelkader for ever. He cross-checked me in the neck when he played with Mona... That and just scored like 4 goals against us.

It's always fun seeing people you played against make it in the NHL. *insert cheer for Matt Rust*

Aside from the joke hilarity that is having a selke winning PPG player as 3rd line center, especially on a team stacked with 3rd/4th line quality centers, Franzen isn't really the sort of player that needs a space-maker on his line. I'd be happy to see Abs get a chance on the 2nd line for now. Assuming him to be on the team still when the injured players are back, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Dats - Z - Homer

Franzen - Flip - Cleary

Leino - Abs - Bert

Helm - Draper - Williams

However, it's extremely unlikely that Abs will be up with the others back due to depth in 3rd/4th line choices.

Also:

Judge%20Chamberlain%20Haller.jpg

Are you on drugs?

Yah, let's keep Datsyuk and Holmstrom together. That has worked so phenominally the last 50 games, you don't want to break that dynamic duo up.

Yah, let's keep Datsyuk and Holmstrom together. That has worked so phenominally the last 50 games, you don't want to break that dynamic duo up.

Considering Homer is the leading scorer, you're right. I'm tired of the Homer bashing. He's not the weak link on that line. He does what he's always does. He's not costing this team games or missing scoring opportunities. He and Datsyuk just need a capable third player.

abs was a top scorer on the griffins. i think if you throw him on wing and pair him with flip z or dats he'll start putting up some numbers

my lines

dats franzen holmstrom

zetterberg cleary leino

filppula bertuzzi abs

helm draper eaves

you can always switch leino and bertuzzi

oh poop i forgot about williams

Edited by brett

I like Abdelkader. He is a big body and he crashes the other team's defense like crazy. I wonder if he is the reason we claimed Drew Miller, another MSU guy off waivers. Lol it makes me feel like Babcock has a new thing with former State players.

I do think, however that Abdelkader would be better on the wing. He seems to lack the speed to be a truly effective center and his size and quick, hard wrist shot would be better used on the wing along with someone fast like Helm or Draper.

I like Abdelkader. He is a big body and he crashes the other team's defense like crazy. I wonder if he is the reason we claimed Drew Miller, another MSU guy off waivers. Lol it makes me feel like Babcock has a new thing with former State players.

I do think, however that Abdelkader would be better on the wing. He seems to lack the speed to be a truly effective center and his size and quick, hard wrist shot would be better used on the wing along with someone fast like Helm or Draper.

Maybe we're using Drew Miller as bait for another MSU Miller next year...

I like Abby..... he can be an agitator like Maltby with more skills to score.

Anyone notice how often he is in the offensive end???.... fighting for the puck, digging it out of the corners.... not afraid to go to the net.... can retrieve the puck...

A killer line would be Abby-Datsyuk-Franzen.

I sure hope Abby doesn't go down to GR when players start coming back.... but I guess their won't be much of a choice unless someone else is injured once Franzen gets back.

Put Datysuk with faster, younger, aggressive skaters and he will start burying the puck 5 on 5..... Helm, Eaves, Abby..... even Draper.

Edited by Icesurfer