• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

#1 Hockey Country

Rate this topic

#1 hockeu country would of course be Netherlands.... ;)

oh wait... we mean the normal hockey not this cheesy thing played on grass field* :lol:

it's Canadia, Russia, Sweden, USA, Czech Republic, Finland, Slovakia, Latvia, Switzerland... in about this order...

* - though, field hockey features much better viewing experience with women teams. I mean... just see this:

1965492352_1999999601_reuters-hockey-dames2.jpg

medway_messenger_18_07_08.jpg

Edited by akustyk

If the USA goes out of the hockey business, there won't be a league that unites as much hockey talent as NHL does now. However, since the best players come from Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the impact on the game itself won't be as big as you think. The good games and the good teams would be more spread and not concentrated in one league. I don't think ice hockey would lose as much as you think if there's no more NHL.

The number one hockey country will still be Canada, followed by the European countries, probably lead by Russia because of the KHL.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's baiting..

Yeah, I pretty much got that directly. Most of his threads/posts tend to be written with that purpose. But arguing with someone who isn't going to change his/her mind is pointless.

Adding something to the discussion, out of all the world championships played, USA has 2 gold medals only, the latest one was in 1960. How's that for the increasing power of US ice hockey?

Yeah, I pretty much got that directly. Most of his threads/posts tend to be written with that purpose. But arguing with someone who isn't going to change his/her mind is pointless.

Adding something to the discussion, out of all the world championships played, USA has 2 gold medals only, the latest one was in 1960. How's that for the increasing power of US ice hockey?

Sticking with your opinion is not a bad thing, just to let you know. Canada might call hockey its national past-time, and I will agree that a greater percentage of Canadians enjoy hockey than the percentage of Americans who enjoy hockey. However, the fact remains that the NHL would be in ruins if the USA gave up on hockey all together. The same can't be said for Canada. Therefore, I think that the USA is hockey's greatest country. "There are more Americans than Canadians" and "The USA has more money" just fuel my argument, so don't use those as a defense.

Sticking with your opinion is not a bad thing, just to let you know. Canada might call hockey its national past-time, and I will agree that a greater percentage of Canadians enjoy hockey than the percentage of Americans who enjoy hockey. However, the fact remains that the NHL would be in ruins if the USA gave up on hockey all together. The same can't be said for Canada. Therefore, I think that the USA is hockey's greatest country. "There are more Americans than Canadians" and "The USA has more money" just fuel my argument, so don't use those as a defense.

The NHL as it is right now would be dead. But please, PLEASE look at the title of your first post. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU ASK FOR? You're not asking which country is #1 in terms of the NHL, you're asking for the #1 hockey country. The NHL is NOT the be all and end all of hockey, and therefore the arguments you're throwing around in terms of your original question are inherently flawed.

Edited by SweWings

The NHL as it is right now would be dead. But please, PLEASE look at the title of your first post. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU ASK FOR? You're not asking which country is #1 in terms of the NHL, you're asking for the #1 hockey country. The NHL is NOT the be all and end all of hockey, and therefore the arguments you're throwing around in terms of your original questions are inherently flawed.

Ok, then. Elaborate, if you don't mind. I wasn't trying to "bait" anyone to get them angry. I was trying to "bait" the answers that defend Canada, because I think that America is much more important to the sport than Canada is. Not just to the NHL.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Ok, then. Elaborate, if you don't mind. I wasn't trying to "bait" anyone to get them angry. I was trying to "bait" the answers that defend Canada, because I think that America is much more important to the sport than Canada is. Not just to the NHL.

Canada is in America.

Edit: only mentioning it cause it's a habit of yours throughout this thread.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

No. I won't elaborate. I think that people have provided enough reasons. The amount of fans, the history, the quality and amount of players, international competitions and presence. How about you provide some reasons why America is not only more important to the sport but MUCH more important.

canada is much more important than the us, even some of the mostt influential figures in american hockey are canadian. stevie was a great example, hes canadian but he devoted himself to the local area and hockey in michigan. mark messier is also like that for the rangers

This is useless folks, he just doesn't get it because his definition of "the greatest hockey country in the world' doesn't make sense to begin with.

No, he's just trolling, that's all. It's one of the most obvious troll threads I've seen in a while. He doesn't accept anyone else's points nor acknowledges any rebuttals, he just repeats the same thing making people more and more frustrated.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Did we even have a choice? The only that makes decisions in this this world is money.

Tell that to someone living in Tibet.

Just an argument from one Canadians perspective. When i was in grade 8 my parents offered me, for a Christmas present, a chance to go to Florida or Mexico or somewhere warm for the first time. They also offered me a chance to watch the World Juniors in Winnipeg. I saw every game. Canada vs. U.S.A, Canada vs. Kazakhstan, Czechs vs. Fins. Swiss vs. Belarus, etc. My point is is it was the greatest 2 weeks of my life. I don't know if it's just me but I wouldn't see anybody other then a Canadian making a decision like that. My Mom was a little disappointed in my decision but only a few games into the tournam,ent she said I made the right one. I would rather watch hockey or play hockey more then 90% of the time. It's embedded in our culture. There's really nothing else.

Canada

Russia,Finland,Sweden,Slovakia, Czech Rep.

USA(Your money can't buy my love.)

Edited by zettie85

Just an argument from one Canadians perspective. When i was in grade 8 my parents offered me, for a Christmas present, a chance to go to Florida or Mexico or somewhere warm for the first time. They also offered me a chance to watch the World Juniors in Winnipeg. I saw every game. Canada vs. U.S.A, Canada vs. Kazakhstan, Czechs vs. Fins. Swiss vs. Belarus, etc. My point is is it was the greatest 2 weeks of my life. I don't know if it's just me but I wouldn't see anybody other then a Canadian making a decision like that. My Mom was a little disappointed in my decision but only a few games into the tournam,ent she said I made the right one. I would rather watch hockey or play hockey more then 90% of the time. It's embedded in our culture. There's really nothing else.

Canada

Russia,Finland,Sweden,Slovakia, Czech Rep.

USA

And all this is great. I am not saying hockey isn't a great thing to do in Canada. I'm just saying that it would take a serious nose dive EVERYWHERE if the USA didn't promote it.

Brazil's national team is definitely climbing the ranks. It's pronounced "Hobyn Hegehr"! Like Royce Gracie is "Hoyce Gracie".

technically speaking, Portuguese "g" doesn't sound like normal English "g" but rather than French g in "massage".

and in pronunciation "y" in Robyn disappears while second "e" in Regehr becomes short "y".

though, it's all bulls*** because his parents were Canadian and so the proper pronunciation is not Portuguese.

And all this is great. I am not saying hockey isn't a great thing to do in Canada. I'm just saying that it would take a serious nose dive EVERYWHERE if the USA didn't promote it.

To what standards though? Hockey is well established in all "Hockey Countries". If the USA was to outlaw hockey or something, everybody won't just go home sit around on their asses. Sure as s***, there would be a professional league in Canada started. A Swedish and Fin league would thrive with all the players the get back. Maybe some Swede's would play in Canada but according to your logic who the hell would want to do that? Sidney would be the poster boy for the new established CPHL. We could get rid of all the bulls*** NHL instated rules and revert back to old time hockey. Lower salaries will definetly come with it meaning smaller market teams like Thunder Bay, Regina, Halifax and St. John's can now have professional team, with All- Star line-ups amd not just be subject to AHL or the old IHL teams that they once had.

The NHL may need the USA but hockey never will!

Edited by zettie85

This whole thing makes no sense, because there is no quantifiable definition of the #1 country. By what standards are you meaning #1? If you simply mean who would have a bigger impact on the NHL itself, if it pulled all their teams, then obviously the USA would, as they have 24 of the 30 teams. However, to put it in perspective, if Canada pulled all its players from the NHL, it would have just as big an impact, as it would take probably half the players away, and leave watered down talent.

If you are arguing that hockey is more important to the USA as a country, however, you are seriously misguided. Think of it this way. Your thought is that if the USA pulled all the American teams out of the NHL, that the league would be in ruins. You are correct about this. What you need to realize, however, is that the most likely result of this would be that those remaining 6 teams in the NHL would likely start up an entirely new league, and add many more teams in Canada to it, and simply start up again, in Canada. It is unlikely there would be difficulty getting a massive following.

Your thread really makes no sense, as the answer you give to your question, does not answer your question properly. Back to the drawing board please.

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Do you mean the promotion of the NHL? You seem to be using the terms USA and NHL interchangeably. They are not. The NHL is an international league between Canada and the USA. Being in Canada, I rarely see any promotion by the USA, so I don't see what you are talking about. I see lots of promotion by the NHL, an international company. If the NHL were to nosedive in Canada, Hockey would still thrive and flourish as it always has. New leagues would form, as they always have. There would be no shortage of talent in Canada. Would Canada bother promoting their sport in the USA at this point? Not likely, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But it would continue. As for Russia, and Sweden, I don't think it would affect them greatly at all. I don't know, though, as I don't know how much promotion either the NHL or the USA do in those countries...