• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Prepared to eat crow on Howard.

Rate this topic

Title says it all. I'm prepared to say I was wrong on Howard, at least as it appears.

7-4-1 with a 2.56 GAA and an excellent 0.907 save percentage. He's looking great out there, and if he manages a little more rebound control, he could be a future starter, or at least a 1a for this team.

28th in save percentage, but 10th if you put him against other backups. 17th overall for GAA, 6th amongst backups. 22nd in wins, 5th among backups.

Excellent numbers, and possibly a diamond we've been waiting on. Good work, Jimmy! :thumbup:

I was at the game tonight, and I have to say, he played one hell of a game.

I too was skeptical about him at the beginning of the year, but this is one plate of crow I'll happily consume. Throw it in the slow cooker with some barbecue sauce and let it cook all day, if you please.

I was uncertain of him at the beginning of the season, but he has become a pleasant surprise. He has been excellent in the shootout. Here's to hoping he keeps it up the rest of the season.

:goalie1:

Edited by Redwings-40-5

Howie's been playing good for the most part, as said above, he does need to work on his rebound control. Overall I expected the play I've seen so far. Howard needed a chance to show that he's ready, and he is. This guy is hot, and I'd put him between the pipes on Thursday against the Oilers and hopefully keep his good play going. Maybe Ozzie will shape up after Howard racks up some wins. Yes Osgood is playing way better then he played last regular season, but then again he still lets in those goals that you want back and the goals that ultimately break the teams momentum.

Lets go Howie and Ozzie and lets go Wings!

I'll gladly eat crow at the moment. I don't want to get overly-excited but he has exceeded my expectations lately. If he can give us a 2.5 GAA and a save percentage of around .910 for the season I will be pleasantly surprised and content with him being a backup or involved in a tandem like he currently is. In my opinion, he is our starting goaltender at the moment and has proven enough to be considered this for the time being.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down....

He still isn't a proven player. It was stated long ago that he has huge swings. This and all your guys confidence in him can change in one period. Jimmy needs to keep this up for quite a while for me to even consider tasting some crow.

Too early.

His answered his call thus far but he could be much better.

Sometimes he looks really lost out there but overall I'd grade him B-.

Give him a lil' more time. It's his first year and is carrying the load pretty darn good. Hope he just keeps improving.

* I do see a lot of improvement tho since his 2-3 first games.

As long as we continue to clear his rebounds, I see no problems. He's made some huge stops.

He's much like Hiller was, only with a bit of a worse Sv%; he forces the defense in front of him to clear the huge rebounds he gives up, but if they can keep the puck from in front of him, he can come up with some great games.

Guest Four

I'll eat all the crow in the world if we continue winning and getting goals with Howard in net.

Adjustment time ? Whats that ? hah .. Everyone wants results right away nowadays .. and im the same but we seem to forget that he was facing AHL players for sometime .. Slim Jim said it himself that he had to get used to the quick shots and speed of the game .. Now the microscope focus will be on Leino .. as it should be, but he needs adjustment time as well.. patience folks ... damn kids with there up to the minute updates and no loading times . lol

I'm beginning to get out the crow, but I'm not touching the stuff til I see what he can do for at the very least 1/2 a year more likely I won't make my final decision until I see him for a full year. His biggest challenge is inconsistency, he is on a good stretch right now, and I hope he doesn't slip up on this opportunity he is getting right now. One thing is for sure, he is improving which I will give him credit for.

I must say he has shout my mouth.. i was one of the ones who talked sh*t about him when season was about to start but i must say he is proving me wrong, he has got great numbers so far and if he keeps like this, he will become a starter and make ozzy a backup (which conklin should have done last year but babcock didn't want to). keep it up jimmy, great job so far!!!

Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down....

He still isn't a proven player. It was stated long ago that he has huge swings. This and all your guys confidence in him can change in one period. Jimmy needs to keep this up for quite a while for me to even consider tasting some crow.

Too early.

Agreed, but I'm really happy that he's been playing well for a while now. I've gone from thinking he would surely be gone before the season was over, to actually having more confidence in him than in Ozzie.

I am probably J-Ho's biggest fan on this board. I would love nothing better than a UMainer to get drafted and rise through the ranks of the Wings org!!! Especially in Net!

But People, lets give him the season, every season has ebbs and flows, the team plays great then not so great, A goalie players great than not so great.

The real test will be when he hits a rough spot, how quickly can he pull himself out of it.

If he hits a rough spot and Ozzie comes in on a tear and wins 6-7-8 in a row, how does J-Ho respond after that, how quickly/easily can he go from on top to under the bus. How does he respond if he gives up a couple of bad goals in another wise easy Wings victory that they then lose.

I have high hopes for the kid but even I say it is way to early to pass any kind of judgment, lest it be against those that said he would never make a save or win a game, you know the lunatic fringe.

Howard has been playing solid, but when it comes down to playoff time (knock on wood) its obvious ozzy will start us off, because Howard lacks the playoff experience needed to goaltend at such a aggressive level.

BTW new member, first post, very excited :)