DBoogaard 77 - McGrath 76 - ABoogaard 76
+ Winchester 76, Meech 76, Barch 76

Ericsson 81 - Lidstrom 91
Kronwall 83 - Weber 87
Kindl 81 - Godfrey 78

Osgood 84
Niittymaki 80

Yeah, it's under the cap. 2M actually.

This is my second season starting. Won the cup in the first season after struggling in the regular season (was last after ~50 games). Penguins was the other team in the finals. Osgood won the Conn Smythe. Kovalchuk won the Richard trophy. And much much more. And this was when simulating each game.

Now that roster looks so delicious that I may wan't to play some games myself. Just imagine having PP unit which looks like: Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Lidstrom-Weber.

Also, the future is looking very bright as this team is not that old and there won't be any cap issues either (sadly it's only possible in video games). McCollum is 78 overall and I hope he can be the number one next season if he develops well. Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves looks like the second coming of the Grind Line.

Ryan and Weber I traded this year. Ryan for Cleary + Emmerton (who is a great prospect but there won't be any room for that kinda player in the near future) + Pearce. Weber for Babchuk (who I got at the start of the first season as FA) + Stuart (who is overpaid) + Vasicek (who played the first season in GR with 2-way contract).

Lidstrom will probably retire after this season. Pyett is most likely the one coming up then.

Also, who is this Josh Godfrey guy? Was FA at the start of the first season (75 overall back then), is now 22 years old and has still B overall potential.

Over and out.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 01 December 2009 - 07:42 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#2 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

nice improvements there!

i just restarted dynasty last night as i started before the griffins got a lot of their players. in the roster update 2 weeks ago they picked up several people and then the one this week they got tatar, so i decided it was time to start over.

however, in the one i was working on, i was in the middle of january playing all the games. i like to pretty much keep the wings how they are. i also get a lot of people from calgary as i was a season ticket holder for the qc flames when they were here last year. so a lot of the ahl guys are guys i like in real life. but here is what i had

holmstrom-datsyuk-cleary
leino-zetterberg-franzen
williams-filppula-svatos (straight up trade for bertuzzi)
maltby-draper-eaves
may

ericsson-lidstrom
rafalski-kronwall
lilja-stuart
a. pardy

osgood
howard

for the ahl: (i will put noteworthy trades afterwards)

k. greentree-helm-ritola
abdelkader-j. lundmark-c. germyn
e. kane-m. duchene-k. turris
c. cunning-w. peters-b. prust
tardif

m. weber-kindl
v. hedman-lebda
b. palin-kolosov
meech

larsson
leighton

trades - (some are in that other thread about trades)

got evander kane straight up for mcgrath
got hedman for dan spang (a FA dman) a 2nd, and a 3rd
got duchene for emmerton and 2 picks (not sure exactly what they are. i'm at work and cant look)
got turris for jeremy williams, a 1st and a 5th (though both picks were from LA as i picked up biron on waivers and traded him to LA)
got mike weber straight up for pyett

most of the other trades are for the former qc guys that most don't care about.

while the wings are pretty much the same as they are, if i were to play a couple years, i have those 4 really good prospects coming up. turris has an A for potential, and hedman has A-. when i was looking for trades, there were only like 5 skaters with A- potential or above. and i managed to get 2 of them. so i was pretty happy about that.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#3 Kwame_Kilpatrick

Kwame_Kilpatrick

Dr. Rahmani

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

shea weber is a good buy hes great but i dont start with the wings ever, its just to easy and its fun to start a dynasty with clubs who havent won and make them good, im doing los angeles now and they r really fun, everyone is rlly good at checking even kopitar has 83 checking. btw dustin brown has 99 checking, great player, not to mention drew daughty and jack johnson just loads of good young players on la
usa olympics <3

#4 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Kwame_Kilpatrick @ December 2, 2009 - 07:31AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shea weber is a good buy hes great but i dont start with the wings ever, its just to easy and its fun to start a dynasty with clubs who havent won and make them good, im doing los angeles now and they r really fun, everyone is rlly good at checking even kopitar has 83 checking. btw dustin brown has 99 checking, great player, not to mention drew daughty and jack johnson just loads of good young players on la
Yeah, I know. At first, the main reason I started with the Wings was to get Kovalchuk there and have him play with Datsyuk.

LA is also a team that's much easier to take to the top because they're young and have players with good contracts. Compare it to something like the Islanders. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to make them the top organization in the league with all those bad contracts and only few promising players. It would be also nice to build a franchise around young player like Tavares.

#5 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

yeah, i actually think the kings are one of the worst teams to start with. they are stacked with young talent. so many guys with good potential in the game. i think the kings and coyotes have a big advantage in that respect. i agree with the islanders. they have tavares and okposo and thats about it. if anything, a team like detroit is a challenge. tons of vets that have little value to build the future around. i don't mind personally as i keep all the wings guys till they retire, but they can be a challenge as well.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#6 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

I have 3 teams.

My Wings one I don't mess with too much, My Leaf's one that i gutted pretty much and my HC Davos one that i subbed in for the Wing's in fantasy drfat not knowing you could not pick Wing plyers after.

Wing's

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Eaves
Cleary-Filppula-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Prospal-Helm
Leino-Williams-May
Abdelkader

Kronwall-Lidstrom
Stuart-Scuderi
Ericsson-Kindl
Lebda

Lundqvist
McCollum
Long term IR- Franzen,Lilja(swear to god Fil just got back too)
1.3m under the cap

I'm proud of my Leaf's one too. I have to post it.

Frolov-M.Richards-P.Kane
Ponikarovsky-Kessel-Setoguchi
Abdelkader-Sam Ganger-Kadri
Stalberg-Bozak-Upshall
Hanson

Witt-Schenn
Beauchemin-Exelby
Babchuck-White
Finger

Gustavsson
Serizawa(draft)

2.3m under the cap

Edited by zettie85, 03 December 2009 - 03:50 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#7 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

I actually always build team the same way, so there is usually same players involved when I play fantasy draft, which I usually do.

SNP1-PLY1-PWF1
PWF2-PLY2-SNP2
GRN1-GRN2-GRN3
TGH1-GRN4-TGH2

DFD1-OFD1
OFD2-DFD2
DFD3-OFD3

Now I'm also trying to always get that first line sniper to be a RW left shooter and the second line sniper a LW right shooter. I also always build the team so every player is playing on the right role and right position. All the forwards except those snipers are also right shooters if right wings and left shooters if left wings. You could say I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Centers are usually left shooters because it somehow seems easier to win faceoffs that way. Dunno why is that.

Also, all my left d-men are left shooters and right d-men right shooters.

On the PP I have:
SNP1-PLY1-PWF2
OFD1-OFD2

PWF1-PLY2-SNP2
OFD3-DFD1

I'm using "shooting" tactic. After a lot of testing it seems to be the best of them.

"Overload" is asymmetric and also the only option to score is usually to get it to the middle. It takes a long time to get the middle guy's handeness to match for the one-timer.

"Umbrella" I used a few times, but it's not nearly as effective as you would think. Those two guys near the net usually are useless and if you getting one-timers work (the game's description says it should be good tactic for them) is really hard.

"Shooting" on the other hand has all those options. It's symmetric so no need to worry about that. You can play it to the blueline and shoot it from there. You can play it from the blueline to the sideboards and shoot it from there. You can play it from the sideboards to the middle and shoot it from there.

The reason I swapped those PWF's on the PP units is to get the handedness match.

On the PK I have:
GRN1-GRN2
DFD1-DFD2

GRN4-GRN3
DFD3-OFD1

I just love when you have both right shooters and left shooters at the blueline evenly. biggrin.gif

Edited by Finnish Wing, 03 December 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

I managed to assemble a kick-ass team, too. Under the cap of course. I had Ovechkin, Kane, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski all signed. Abdelkader was playing on the top two lines and he racked up about 60 points over the season. I also had a lot of really awesome depth and I won back to back cups.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:32 AM

It's very, very easy to con the trade AI in this game. It seems almost unfair, not to mention totally unrealistic.

#10 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 10, 2009 - 10:32AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's very, very easy to con the trade AI in this game. It seems almost unfair, not to mention totally unrealistic.
What do you mean exactly?

It seems very easy to get that great team for one season, but usually building a real dynasty is hard. I think the trade value system works just well. Also, if you do bad trades or sign FA's and trade them your GM rep decreases, and obviously that's not good.

#11 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

i agree you can still take advantage of the computer, however i think the trade AI is still better than ever before. as mentioned, you finally get penalized for signing and trading FA's. also, for the first time, teams don't just consider whether a trade is fair, they determine if the trade fits their team philosophy. while it is frustrating, i like that once i have figured out a fair trade with the CPU they will still decline because they dont want veterans, or dont want defensemen, or dont like trading away their prospects.

sure there's still work to do. but i think its much better than ever before.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ December 10, 2009 - 05:56AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean exactly?

It seems very easy to get that great team for one season, but usually building a real dynasty is hard. I think the trade value system works just well. Also, if you do bad trades or sign FA's and trade them your GM rep decreases, and obviously that's not good.

You can trade 1st/2nd-round draft picks for very good players. The players drafted with those picks will not come into the league at anywhere near the same level as the player you traded them for, and, if they ever do reach that level, it'll be so far in the future that you'll probably have stopped playing your franchise by then.

#13 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 10, 2009 - 11:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can trade 1st/2nd-round draft picks for very good players. The players drafted with those picks will not come into the league at anywhere near the same level as the player you traded them for, and, if they ever do reach that level, it'll be so far in the future that you'll probably have stopped playing your franchise by then.
Very good players? I don't think so. I'd say good players at best. You just try that and see. Most teams don't even want draft picks and you can easily compare 1st round pick trade value to a very good player and you can see that it's nowhere near the same level.

And of course the draft situation is like it's in real life. Some years there are many extremely good players, some year not so good.

And the point of the whole Be a GM mode is to build a dynasty that can challenge for the cup every year. If you play only two seasons, of course it's easy to build a team that is great at the moment and wins games. But being able to win the cup and still having great future isn't easy.

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,514 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ December 11, 2009 - 09:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good players? I don't think so. I'd say good players at best. You just try that and see. Most teams don't even want draft picks and you can easily compare 1st round pick trade value to a very good player and you can see that it's nowhere near the same level.

And of course the draft situation is like it's in real life. Some years there are many extremely good players, some year not so good.

And the point of the whole Be a GM mode is to build a dynasty that can challenge for the cup every year. If you play only two seasons, of course it's easy to build a team that is great at the moment and wins games. But being able to win the cup and still having great future isn't easy.

I find draft picks only sweeten the deal. I've never been able to trade a draft pick for anyone even halfway decent. I traded Franzen and a 1st for Ovechkin, I think.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 10, 2009 - 03:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just to stimulate more discussion, woudl you be willing to provide some examples of good deals you were able to get? i have found similar experiences as vm1138 that i just use draft picks to offset value differences. but would love to hear of specific deals that work so that i can pimp my team!

#16 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Got done with my first season in Be A GM Mode and won the Cup. I had a chance to pick up Patrick Kane but I felt I'd just bring some players up instead of chasing a big name free agent. Here is my 10/11 Roster

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen

Abdelkader, Kessel, Helm

Leino, Filppula, Emmerton

Ritola, McGrath, Newbury

Ericsson, N. Kronwall

Kindl, Kolosov

Pyett, S. Kronwall

Howard

Larsson

and I'm still $9.3 Under the Cap.

Edited by Dimaline312000, 22 December 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,514 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

Anyone else find it impossible to do anything with Zetterberg in this game? Even in 09, for some reason he's always the worst player on my team. Everyone else (including 4th liners) can be tearing it up but when I'm controlling him (not simming games) I just can't seem to get him to produce.

I keep him on my team out of a sort of blind loyalty, but it's my 5th season and he's very mediocre despite having a good rating.

#18 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ December 20, 2009 - 03:16AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else find it impossible to do anything with Zetterberg in this game? Even in 09, for some reason he's always the worst player on my team. Everyone else (including 4th liners) can be tearing it up but when I'm controlling him (not simming games) I just can't seem to get him to produce.

I keep him on my team out of a sort of blind loyalty, but it's my 5th season and he's very mediocre despite having a good rating.
I always get him producing when I play myself. But when I sim, and when my lines were those in the OP, he just sucked. Got something like 50 points in the first season while kovalchuk had over 100.

Also, has anyone noticed how unrealistically the +/- stats go when simming. I was, at some point, the last in the league, but every player was on + except 4th line forwards who had something like -45 each.

Do you play Z at center or wing?

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ December 11, 2009 - 01:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find draft picks only sweeten the deal. I've never been able to trade a draft pick for anyone even halfway decent. I traded Franzen and a 1st for Ovechkin, I think.

I was indeed referring to trading players + draft picks in exchange for much better players

An 83 overall player and a 1st-round draft pick in exchange for Ovechkin is a very lopsided and extremely unrealistc trade.

#20 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 21, 2009 - 11:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was indeed referring to trading players + draft picks in exchange for much better players

An 83 overall player and a 1st-round draft pick in exchange for Ovechkin is a very lopsided and extremely unrealistc trade.
That doesn't tell anything. Trading value is what matters not just the overall. If the player was overpaid 40-year old, then yes, it's an unrealistic deal. But it's not unrealistic if he was someone like Jack Johnson (in the game), a young but already solid player with A potential and cheap 2-way deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users