49 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ December 21, 2009 - 05:01AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't tell anything. Trading value is what matters not just the overall. If the player was overpaid 40-year old, then yes, it's an unrealistic deal. But it's not unrealistic if he was someone like Jack Johnson (in the game), a young but already solid player with A potential and cheap 2-way deal.

Given Franzen's ratings in NHL 10, trading him and a pick for Ovechkin is horribly unrealistic. Hell, it'd be unrealistic in real life, too---but it's even worse in NHL 10, as Franzen is really very average in that game.

The trade value system is not so good, IMO. Older players who are still good have extremely low trade value. You can get players like Jason Arnott for peanuts.

#22 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 22, 2009 - 07:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given Franzen's ratings in NHL 10, trading him and a pick for Ovechkin is horribly unrealistic. Hell, it'd be unrealistic in real life, too---but it's even worse in NHL 10, as Franzen is really very average in that game.

The trade value system is not so good, IMO. Older players who are still good have extremely low trade value. You can get players like Jason Arnott for peanuts.
Franzen is 83 overall and has good contract. If you traded with Capitals, then yes, it's unrealistic. But still, the trade value must be equal or better for the CPU to get the trade done, always.

Trade value system is good IMO. Jason Arnott can be get easily because he's veteran playing for a team that's looking to the future. Example: I couldn't get s*** for Lebda with some teams, but eventually got picks 1, 3 and 4 trading with Sharks, because they're cup contenders, not a rebuilders or anything else.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#23 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

I'm still kinda hung up on trying to get Nikita Filatov. It seems the only thing the Jackets are willing to take for him is Kessel along with my 1st and 2nd Round Draft picks even though his Trade Value has decreased from the 09/10 season to 10/11 which I'm playing now. I'm trying to work out getting a couple more high rated players signed to see if i can work something out to either keep Kessel or my 1st Round draft pick.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ December 22, 2009 - 11:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Franzen is 83 overall and has good contract. If you traded with Capitals, then yes, it's unrealistic. But still, the trade value must be equal or better for the CPU to get the trade done, always.

Trade value system is good IMO. Jason Arnott can be get easily because he's veteran playing for a team that's looking to the future. Example: I couldn't get s*** for Lebda with some teams, but eventually got picks 1, 3 and 4 trading with Sharks, because they're cup contenders, not a rebuilders or anything else.

An 83 overall with a good contract, plus a low first-rounder, is no replacement---AT ALL---for one of the absolute best players in the game. This is especially true because Franzen's offensive abilities are not so good in the game---and really, his ratings make his contract not so good to begin with. Franzen isn't nearly as good in the game as he is in real life; and in real life, an GM would be sacked and whipped for trading Ovechkin for Franzen and a 1st, unless his team was in serious rebuilding mode.

Jason Arnott and others of his age can be gotten for hardly anything. It is unrealistic. Old or not, he produces quite a bit, and you can trade players for him that may have higher trade value because they're younger, but will probably never improve enough to even come close to replacing the amount of production he generates.

Edited by Crymson, 25 December 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#25 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ December 25, 2009 - 08:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An 83 overall with a good contract, plus a low first-rounder, is no replacement---AT ALL---for one of the absolute best players in the game. This is especially true because Franzen's offensive abilities are not so good in the game---and really, his ratings make his contract not so good to begin with. Franzen isn't nearly as good in the game as he is in real life; and in real life, an GM would be sacked and whipped for trading Ovechkin for Franzen and a 1st, unless his team was in serious rebuilding mode.
We can always argue about Ovechkin's overall, and is it realistic or not.

One thing for sure, that trade value system is good, realistic and works. In real life that trade would never happen, but in this game Ovechkin has certain value and Franzen and that 1st round pick has certain value. And you'd know if you'd play more than just a few seasons, that that 1st round pick is valuable for the future. As said before, you can always make that good team for a season or two, but being good in the future as well is harder.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ December 29, 2009 - 11:07AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can always argue about Ovechkin's overall, and is it realistic or not.

One thing for sure, that trade value system is good, realistic and works. In real life that trade would never happen, but in this game Ovechkin has certain value and Franzen and that 1st round pick has certain value. And you'd know if you'd play more than just a few seasons, that that 1st round pick is valuable for the future. As said before, you can always make that good team for a season or two, but being good in the future as well is harder.

I have yet to see a first-round draft pick become anywhere near as good as any of the superstars in the game---and in any event, being good now is more important to any team than the chance of being equally good several years down the line---they will not trade away the former for the latter unless they're in serious difficulty, and I can't see any team trading away a franchise superstar in any event.

In any event, the team that traded away Ovechkin won't get a return on the pick for years---and they'll almost certainly never break even on the deal even if the 1st-rounder does develop decently. If they do break even, it'll have taken several years to do so, and what will the trade have accomplished for them in that case? They'll have a whole lot less scoring for those few years than they would have other wise, and Ovechkin will have been tearing it up with another team in the meantime. Also, they'll have given up Ovechkin for an average scorer and a 1st-round draft pick that might develop into a good player. I've seen quite a few 1st-rounders in NHL 10 who end up being very average. There are rarely any superstar 1st-rounders, which I feel is a significant flaw. When the top five forwards in the draft all have something like low-80s in shooting and passing, there's something wrong. And then there are the players who have extremely good speed but horrid acceleration, or good offensive stats and horrible offensive awareness. On the whole, already-existing players are much better than draftees.

When one can get 4-5 superstars on one's team, there's something wrong with the trade system. No team in the real would would have anywhere near enough resources to pull it off. The trade value system makes it easy.

Edited by Crymson, 19 January 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#27 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

i wasn't sure where to put this, but they released another roster update for nhl the other day. and in it they finally updated some ratings. the only wing they updated was Howard, but he got the biggest boost of any player. went from a 74 to an 85!

http://www.easports....-player-ratings

figured it was noteworthy for folks that like GM mode.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#28 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (dobbles @ January 30, 2010 - 12:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i wasn't sure where to put this, but they released another roster update for nhl the other day. and in it they finally updated some ratings. the only wing they updated was Howard, but he got the biggest boost of any player. went from a 74 to an 85!

http://www.easports....-player-ratings

figured it was noteworthy for folks that like GM mode.
I think 85 for Howard is still maybe a little too extreme. I mean Rask is 82. He isn't that much better than him.

#29 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

you may be right. i am just glad he got boosted some. 74 was pretty low for how well he's played this year. but considering his status when the game was launched i certainly understand why he was that low.

i still contend that the ratings are ridiculous. they have a rating system that goes from 0-100 and yet everyone in the nhl is rated from like 75-92. i know that its all about the individual ratings, but if i am casually playing the game and not a super nerd about ratings, it is really hard to tell the difference between 90% of the players in the nhl. they need to go back to like nhl94 whn they actually rated people like 46 overall. there's still not enough of a difference when deking with datsyuk and deking with maltby.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#30 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Have you seen this guy Pelle Prestberg in free agency?
his shooting is unreal:
Slap shot accuracy: 92
Slap shot power: 88
Wirst shot accuracy: 88
Wrist shot power: 88
he is 78 overall LW but his potential in offense and defense are both A-
he is 34 years old, but a good cheap LW'er
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#31 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

I tried to keep it somewhat realistic but stacked at the same time. I was able to get Washington to give me Ovechkin for Gaborik and a prospect, I forget who, no one special and they went for it. I didn't like his right handed shot and liked Gaborik's speed so I didn't save the game. I also got Iginla for almost nothing. Couple prospects who will likely never wear a Wings jersey. I couldn't believe it. I've noticed from last season and onto this one, if you try to swindle a team it won't work that well unless (and this is big) you give them a certain type of bad player. If they're looking for athleticism specifically, they'll give up Wayne Ovechkinsyuk for some schmuck form the AHL who will never see NHL ice.

Some guys just insanely hard to acquire though. Bouwmeester just wasn't going anywhere without a gun to someone's back. It wasn't worth what I'd lose.

My line right now are...

Gaborik - Datsyuk - Zetterberg
Bertuzzi - Franzen - Iginla
Cleary - Helm - Filppula
Holmstrom - Draper - Kader
Maltby in and out

Lidstrom - Stuart
Rafalski - Kronwall
Lilja - Ericsson

Luongo
Backup: Lehtonen

Edited by zackmorris, 14 February 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ February 14, 2010 - 12:09AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to keep it somewhat realistic but stacked at the same time. I was able to get Washington to give me Ovechkin for Gaborik and a prospect, I forget who, no one special and they went for it. I didn't like his right handed shot and liked Gaborik's speed so I didn't save the game. I also got Iginla for almost nothing. Couple prospects who will likely never wear a Wings jersey. I couldn't believe it. I've noticed from last season and onto this one, if you try to swindle a team it won't work that well unless (and this is big) you give them a certain type of bad player. If they're looking for athleticism specifically, they'll give up Wayne Ovechkinsyuk for some schmuck form the AHL who will never see NHL ice.

Some guys just insanely hard to acquire though. Bouwmeester just wasn't going anywhere without a gun to someone's back. It wasn't worth what I'd lose.

My line right now are...

Gaborik - Datsyuk - Zetterberg
Bertuzzi - Franzen - Iginla
Cleary - Helm - Filppula
Holmstrom - Draper - Kader
Maltby in and out

Lidstrom - Stuart
Rafalski - Kronwall
Lilja - Ericsson

Luongo
Backup: Lehtonen

How is this in the least realistic? You have four superstars on your first two lines, plus a superstar goalie and a backup who would be a starter on many teams in the game.

#33 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Because I could've made it alot more stacked. I actually had a crack at Ovechkin and Chara. I kept the bottom 6 realistic at least. I wanted to go with Ben Bishop as the backup but my GF wanted to get Lehtonen. I should mention we're playing the whole season together so she mentions players she likes now and again.

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ February 14, 2010 - 01:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I could've made it alot more stacked. I actually had a crack at Ovechkin and Chara. I kept the bottom 6 realistic at least. I wanted to go with Ben Bishop as the backup but my GF wanted to get Lehtonen. I should mention we're playing the whole season together so she mentions players she likes now and again.

Just because it wasn't even more unrealistic doesn't mean that it is in the least realistic. There is absolutely zero chance that the Wings or any other team could in reality land Gaborik, Iginla and Luongo.

#35 IrishWing19

IrishWing19

Token Irishman

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ February 15, 2010 - 06:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because it wasn't even more unrealistic doesn't mean that it is in the least realistic. There is absolutely zero chance that the Wings or any other team could in reality land Gaborik, Iginla and Luongo.

It'd cost close to $70m to have that team, way over the cap.

#36 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ February 15, 2010 - 01:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my personal way of keeping it more realistic. It's my game, who the hell cares?

#37 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

I don't take kindly to stupid alterations. This is my lineup, in my third year.

Datsyuk- Zetterberg- Franzen
Holmstrom- Filppula- Hudler
Abdelkader- Helm- Cleary
Ritola- Joakim Andersson -Draft pick
Emmerton

Maltby, Draper, and McCarty all retired.

Kronwall Ericsson
Rafalski Stuart
Kindl Draft Pick
Meech

Lidstrom retired.

Howard
Larsson

McCollum is in GR with a better rating than Howard but I would rather have Howard in net.

Ozzie Retired.

I look to Sweden, Canada and the States for my draft picks with the occasional player coming from Russia.

#38 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Have you seen this guy Pelle Prestberg in free agency?
his shooting is unreal:
Slap shot accuracy: 92
Slap shot power: 88
Wirst shot accuracy: 88
Wrist shot power: 88
he is 78 overall LW but his potential in offense and defense are both A-
he is 34 years old, but a good cheap LW'er

I picked him up before the season. He is listed as a Grinder and I'm not sure why. I changed his type to sniper because of his sick shot, and then stuck him on the left point for my power play. He's scored several goals with that rocket of a shot.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

I picked him up before the season. He is listed as a Grinder and I'm not sure why. I changed his type to sniper because of his sick shot, and then stuck him on the left point for my power play. He's scored several goals with that rocket of a shot.

He plays in the SEL, and he's not even nearly as good in RL as he is in the game.

#40 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

He plays in the SEL, and he's not even nearly as good in RL as he is in the game.

I kind of figured. I did a quick google search on him and his stats aren't really that impressive.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users